JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've got my non-resident WA CPL. I'm coming up on my first expiration next April and I was wondering - will they contact me to renew? Would I have to do it in person?

Next question - I know some folks have talked about getting the card laminated. Does WA still used those oversized paper licenses? If so, any recommendations for a place that can actually do a decent job laminating them? The one I have is all folded on top and worn. I'd like the next one to stay in better shape in my wallet.

I've got my non-resident WA CPL. I'm coming up on my first expiration next April and I was wondering - will they contact me to renew? Would I have to do it in person?

Next question - I know some folks have talked about getting the card laminated. Does WA still used those oversized paper licenses? If so, any recommendations for a place that can actually do a decent job laminating them? The one I have is all folded on top and worn. I'd like the next one to stay in better shape in my wallet.

Our last ones came encased and were no longer so damn large you had to fold them. It seems they finally decided to do it better after so many years. As far as letting you know they never have us. We had to remember. I watch out for Wife now as she forgot one time and it was months expired before she looked.

Our last ones came encased and were no longer so damn large you had to fold them. It seems they finally decided to do it better after so many years. As far as letting you know they never have us. We had to remember. I watch out for Wife now as she forgot one time and it was months expired before she looked.

Well I'm glad to hear they have done away with those ridiculous oversized paper licenses. As for the lack of a reminder, it's good to know - I'll need to set myself a reminder ahead of time.

Do you know if I can renew online or by mail? Or should I plan a trip to Vancouver to get it done?

Well I'm glad to hear they have done away with those ridiculous oversized paper licenses. As for the lack of a reminder, it's good to know - I'll need to set myself a reminder ahead of time.

Do you know if I can renew online or by mail? Or should I plan a trip to Vancouver to get it done?
That I have no clue since we live here. We both had to go downtown again. I did not see any option to do it online like they did our DL's this time. It was a WORLD of difference though. I was in and out in about :30. Wife went later in the same week {at my urging :) } and she said it took longer to walk to the place from where she parked than it did once in there. The massive mobs and back logs seem to be over. Thank god.

WA doesn't notify you when. It's up to the individual to get it done. But you can go in/contact them up to 90 days before and do it. The 90 days is something we fought for and got. Also, you have 90 days after to renew without making a big deal.

It looks like you need be present with ID and your current CPL. Here is the link for Clark county info.
Firearms

I laminated both of mine. Had one in WA for 10 years. Let it slide when I moved to CO. Still have both of them actually.

I renewed my WA CPL almost 3yrs ago (they're good for 5yrs) at Clark County Sherriff's in Vantuckey, YES they use a (almost) credit card sized format, but it's still paper.

So that it would actually fit in one of the slots in my wallet, I had to trim just a smidgen off the outer edges using my debit card as a template, then I laminated it with the laminator machine at work that we use for company ID's

You use your WA CPL in conjunction with your state issued (photo) DL or ID, and in my case my ODL number is on the CPL. I renewed about 90 days before expiration, but it arrived in the mail in less than a week. Renewing is EASY-PEEZY, and took almost no time at all.

What's REALLY cool now, is Nevada honors Oregon's CHL's.... woo hoo!

Here it is compared to my Marion County CHL. They really got my good side in the photo this year...

IMG_4708.JPG

I renewed mine this month... It does not come laminated ... but the laminator at school works really well. :D
The CPL is smaller than my last one ... Its about the size of a business card.
As stated earlier it is up to you to remember to renew on time.
Andy

I renewed mine this month... It does not come laminated ... but the laminator at school works really well. :D
Andy

Bummer to hear they're still just paper - I can't imagine it would be a huge expense to go to regular plastic cards, heck they could even build in the cost into the license fee. Considering they're good for 5 years in WA, it would make sense.

I renewed my WA CPL almost 3yrs ago (they're good for 5yrs) at Clark County Sherriff's in Vantuckey, YES they use a (almost) credit card sized format, but it's still paper.

So that it would actually fit in one of the slots in my wallet, I had to trim just a smidgen off the outer edges using my debit card as a template, then I laminated it with the laminator machine at work that we use for company ID's

You use your WA CPL in conjunction with your state issued (photo) DL or ID, and in my case my ODL number is on the CPL. I renewed about 90 days before expiration, but it arrived in the mail in less than a week. Renewing is EASY-PEEZY, and took almost no time at all.

What's REALLY cool now, is Nevada honors Oregon's CHL's.... woo hoo!

Here it is compared to my Marion County CHL. They really got my good side in the photo this year...

View attachment 393639

My WA CPL is pretty beat up after 4+ years in the wallet - the top portion is barely hanging on. Good to know they've at least reduced the size so it doesn't have to be folded.

IMG_9630a1.jpg

It will still have to folded ... It is "two sided"( print only on one side ) with a crease in the middle.
When folded its about the size of a business card.
Andy

That's fine, so long as it's no bigger than any other card when it's folded - the problem right now is, even folded, it's too tall and has to be folded again to fit.

Yeah they were an odd size and it lent itself to being ragged and torn up if not protected.
Andy

I thought I heard someone took theirs to Kinko's or someplace similar and they were able to do more of a hard plastic laminate that made it similar to any other card - that's what I'm hoping to do with the next one.

Andy

Must depend on where they are coming from then. Ours came laminated. Guess some bureaucrat down there just took it on themselves to do it. Shocking that one of them would. May be hope for some of them after all. :)

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews