JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well I'm glad to hear they have done away with those ridiculous oversized paper licenses. As for the lack of a reminder, it's good to know - I'll need to set myself a reminder ahead of time.

Do you know if I can renew online or by mail? Or should I plan a trip to Vancouver to get it done?
It is my understanding that you have to go into your local police station, if you're in city limits, or else the local sheriff, if you're not, and apply in person. I would suggest calling the police non-emergency number, and asking them where you can go to do it.

30 days after expiration, it's a new application and not a renewal, a bit more cost and time too.

Sporting Systems laminates the CPL cards for free in the store. 408 W 9th, about 3 blocks from the courthouse.

It is my understanding that you have to go into your local police station, if you're in city limits, or else the local sheriff, if you're not, and apply in person. I would suggest calling the police non-emergency number, and asking them where you can go to do it.

I'm not a Washington resident (as noted in the OP), so I don't have a 'local' police station. When I got it originally, it was at the Clark Co Sheriff's office in Vancouver.

Had the best experience ever doing my renewal today. I had to renew and my FIL needed a new permit. The both of us were in and out, including his fingerprint card, in less than 20 min.
Kudos to the Bonney Lake PD.

I've got my non-resident WA CPL. I'm coming up on my first expiration next April and I was wondering - will they contact me to renew? Would I have to do it in person?

Next question - I know some folks have talked about getting the card laminated. Does WA still used those oversized paper licenses? If so, any recommendations for a place that can actually do a decent job laminating them? The one I have is all folded on top and worn. I'd like the next one to stay in better shape in my wallet.

I just applied for my cpl in King County, last one expired and I didn't renew within 90 days. When I did they asked for an email address, the gal explained they would now email a reminder at 4 years and 8 months, 4 months out essentially.

I've got my non-resident WA CPL. I'm coming up on my first expiration next April and I was wondering - will they contact me to renew? Would I have to do it in person?

Next question - I know some folks have talked about getting the card laminated. Does WA still used those oversized paper licenses? If so, any recommendations for a place that can actually do a decent job laminating them? The one I have is all folded on top and worn. I'd like the next one to stay in better shape in my wallet.

My CPL is about the same size as my DL & I plan to trim & laminate it soon.

I got my Polk county renewal a couple weeks ago and its laminated as all my others have been except the earliest, but its the 1st I've ever gotten that fits in my wallet without trimming. DL sized.

5 years! I am a state resident and they only renew mine for 2 years at a time and the lamination they use is poor at best. They don't tell me when to renew either; just fine with me, but 5 years would be great...but then they wouldn't be able to collect as much money from me! Flippers.

5 years! I am a state resident and they only renew mine for 2 years at a time and the lamination they use is poor at best. They don't tell me when to renew either; just fine with me, but 5 years would be great...but then they wouldn't be able to collect as much money from me! Flippers.

Maybe you could renew in clark county, it's just a short drive and the sheriffs are friendly.

Well Dang! They are going to remind me that renewal is due and they are going to start issuing for 5 years, hooray. The reminders will start about July next year (in case you didn't read through the citing by Whitney). And the cost will be about the same...this doesn't sound good, I suspect they are up to something! Just kidding and thanks a lot Whitney. And there is almost always a but... copied from the law.....

(5) The nonrefundable fee, paid upon application, for the original five-year license shall be thirty-six dollars plus additional charges imposed by the federal bureau of investigation that are passed on to the applicant. No other state or local branch or unit of government may impose any additional charges on the applicant for the issuance of the license.

Ha, the fbi has an undisclosed charge...hmmm
Stay safe, Have Fun, Joly

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews