JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
they created law with such a big grey area. so it's just going to be word to word, when you have to explain where/when you purchased it?

And after July 1st, Oregon is going to check driver license when you purchase magazines or magazine parts? so bad guys from WA can't purchase them?
Why would Oregon care? When I was a CA resident nobody in ID asked about my state of residence when purchasing magazines.

It says "individual" not "Washington resident."
You are correct. You are assessing my post #94, but please see my prior referenced post #73. In post 94 I simply used "Washington resident" when addressing new bill section 38 defining "imports". Section 38 does state an "individual" who leaves WA with a Large Capacity Magazine, and (subsequently) returns to WA with it. I think that language is safe to imply a WA resident. Please see my post #73.

You are correct. You are assessing my post #94, but please see my prior referenced post #73. In post 94 I simply used "Washington resident" when addressing new bill section 38 defining "imports". Section 38 does state an "individual" who leaves WA with a Large Capacity Magazine, and (subsequently) returns to WA with it. I think that language is safe to imply a WA resident. Please see my post #73.
We don't imply, or assume, that the legislature only allowed Washington residents to leave WA with a legally-possessed magazine and return with it, when the words chosen by the legislature do not specify a residency requirement.

Ok, but the section does not say Washington resident, it says individual. So it should include an Idaho resident who lawfully possessed a high capacity magazine in WA, left WA and then returned to WA with that magazine. Correct?

The shortsighted viewpoint here is, "I've already got mine."

Yeah… me too. But the slow march toward total disarmament or nullification of the right into obscurity is really the issue here. If this law stands, my kids will grow up never knowing some of the liberty I experienced. I grew up never knowing some of the liberty my father experienced, or my grandfather.

I've got some choice words for democrats about what they can eat and what they can do after eating that.

The shortsighted viewpoint here is, "I've already got mine."

Yeah… me too. But the slow march toward total disarmament or nullification of the right into obscurity is really the issue here. If this law stands, my kids will grow up never knowing some of the liberty I experienced. I grew up never knowing some of the liberty my father experienced, or my grandfather.

I've got some choice words for democrats about what they can eat and what they can do after eating that.
I'll see that and raise with choice words that make exhortation to commit coprophagy seem positively cordial and getting impregnated by a Facehugger pleasant by comparison.

I like your style, we can be friends.
As I noted on another site re local news,, I'm sick and tired of being expected to "play nice" and kiss the arses of people who openly declare their masturbatory fantasies of killing me, my loved ones, my friends and anyone who remotely resembles any of same.

I'm a firm believer in Patrick Swayze's wisdom in Road House, "Be nice, until it's time to NOT be nice," and these people seem hellbent on forcing the latter upon us.

Why would Oregon care? When I was a CA resident nobody in ID asked about my state of residence when purchasing magazines.
LOL Not long after the start of SB-23, I went to Reno for the NRA Annual meeting. Every gun shop in town asked for photo ID and refused to sell magazines to any Californian. I figured it out by the 3rd shop and when asked for ID, I pulled a $100 bill and said I'm Ben Franklin. The clerk took a second then asked "What can I do for you Mr. Franklin?"
Score!!!

LOL Not long after the start of SB-23, I went to Reno for the NRA Annual meeting. Every gun shop in town asked for photo ID and refused to sell magazines to any Californian. I figured it out by the 3rd shop and when asked for ID, I pulled a $100 bill and said I'm Ben Franklin. The clerk took a second then asked "What can I do for you Mr. Franklin?"
Score!!!
Great story, Mr. Franklin!

We don't imply, or assume, that the legislature only allowed Washington residents to leave WA with a legally-possessed magazine and return with it, when the words chosen by the legislature do not specify a residency requirement.
Apologies that this may sound defensive. My analysis comes from my legal training while completing my law degree, working in open court in the District Attorneys office, and defending LAPD, LASD and others in use of force cases many years ago. Am also now a firearms trainer. I understand words have meaning, I am trying to help those who come here with questions.

I provide my analysis based upon my background and experience. Not even the brightest attorney can accurately say what the law means, until a case has been heard in court, then heard and ruled on appeal. Andrew Branca, Esq agrees. I would prefer readers here not be a test case, which is why I post.

I apologize to all who feel the need to take issue with my posts. Probably why I don't post often in the first place. If my posts have helped anyone, I am glad.

Now is not the time to let up, folks!
Write to Jackboot Jay and tell him to veto SB 5078 when it hits his desk. I just sent this to him:

Dear Governor Inslee

As a resident of Washington and one of your constituents, I respectfully request that you veto Senate Bill 5078 when it comes to your desk. You still have a chance to respect the wishes and desires recently expressed by thousands of Washingtonians during testimony on this bill, where the overwhelming majority of your constituents voted AGAINST this misguided bill by a 95% to 5% margin. Clearly, Washingtonians do NOT support this bill.

This measure is extremely dangerous in its restriction of our right to self-defense and is repugnant to the Second Amendment of the Constitution. Senate Bill 5078 will not in any way prevent criminals from using these magazines. However, it will prevent law-abiding gun owners from protecting themselves and their loved ones with the most effective means available to them. If signed into law, this bill will cost lives.

Similar 10-round magazine bans in NJ and CA are being challenged in the courts and a writ of certiorari has been filed in the United States Supreme Court for both bans. If signed, SB 5078 will also likely end up before the Supreme Court, where it will in all likelihood be overturned.

Furthermore, data clearly shows that these sorts of bans do nothing to prevent crime. The only comprehensive study to evaluate the effectiveness of a ban on so-called high-capacity magazines while a ban was actually in effect found NO conclusive evidence that "large capacity" magazines had ANY effect on reducing mass shootings. This bill seeks only to infringe upon the constitutional rights of current and future Washingtonians.

Again, I respectfully ask that you listen to Washingtonians, and not to the State legislators that refused to listen to Washingtonians, and please veto Senate Bill 5078.

Respectfully,
< name redacted>

We still have one last chance FLOOD his inbox with letters and messages like the above. I took an NRA alert and smithed it a bit, so I feel no pride of authorship. You can take what I've written and edit it for yourself, or write your own letter from scratch. BUT JUST DO IT! AND DO IT TODAY!

We cannot say we really tried unless we b!tch about this all the way to Jackboot Jay's desk.

Last Edited:
Apologies that this may sound defensive. My analysis comes from my legal training while completing my law degree, working in open court in the District Attorneys office, and defending LAPD, LASD and others in use of force cases many years ago. Am also now a firearms trainer. I understand words have meaning, I am trying to help those who come here with questions.

I provide my analysis based upon my background and experience. Not even the brightest attorney can accurately say what the law means, until a case has been heard in court, then heard and ruled on appeal. Andrew Branca, Esq agrees. I would prefer readers here not be a test case, which is why I post.

I apologize to all who feel the need to take issue with my posts. Probably why I don't post often in the first place. If my posts have helped anyone, I am glad.
Sounds like you subscribe to the Mas Ayoob philosophy, "when in doubt err on the side of conservative caution." Not a knock, it's served me well in life too. :)

Apologies are not necessary. This is a discussion where we hopefully learn from other's points of view and experiences. Also, it is not necessarily a criticism if I point out an error, inconsistency or omission. We're trying to get to a better understanding, which means that we will have to make corrections as we go.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top