JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The video above in post #61 helps to understand why the possession language that was in the original bill was eliminated. Because "possession" isn't in the list of prohibited actions. So we will not be required to prove when we got the magazine.

But the point made in the video that revolves around the definition of distribution is important. The other missing component between the original bill and the engrossed version is that of being able to pass down magazines by inheritance. Defining distribution will need clarification.

Only good news I can find in this, it just came to my attention that the engrossed version of the bill does not include the limitations on where the mags may be possessed. Which was detailed in the earlier versions.

It's the only way to ensure LEO's don't support anti-gun legislation. Look at what's going on in Georgia with constitutional carry. You have a large group of police opposing the bill.

And as a public servant you don't have a lot of rights. You give up many of them to serve the people. However, this day in age most people in the professions treat public servitude as "just collecting another paycheck".
You are painting with a brush that is way to broad. Constitutional carry is a poor yard stick. I understand that asking for permission to exercise a right seems wrong. But, on the other hand, Georgia is a shall issue state, so wanting a easy way to determine that a person with a firearm is not a prohibited person, is not entirely unreasonable. As for supporting anti-gun legislation, before moving to Idaho, the local gun range/store, where I was a member, was owned by two LEOs. They regularly taught concealed carry classes to qualify you for a CCW permit. You can hardly call that supporting anti-gun legislation.

It's a broad brush to believe that all LEOs are on the same page. Even (especially) when speaking about "Gun Rights". BUT, But, but......YEAH. You probably knew that already.

Aloha, Mark

A non WA resident on a CPL must also only carry 10 rd max mags
Are you sure? Does it say that in the bill? Cause I thought this only banned the sale, attempt to sale, manufacture and distribution and doesn't have anything to do with possession. Maybe if import was on the list then he would not be allowed to bring them over here but I don't think the law says you can't use them for carry

You are painting with a brush that is way to broad. Constitutional carry is a poor yard stick. I understand that asking for permission to exercise a right seems wrong. But, on the other hand, Georgia is a shall issue state, so wanting a easy way to determine that a person with a firearm is not a prohibited person, is not entirely unreasonable. As for supporting anti-gun legislation, before moving to Idaho, the local gun range/store, where I was a member, was owned by two LEOs. They regularly taught concealed carry classes to qualify you for a CCW permit. You can hardly call that supporting anti-gun legislation.
Then what is a good yard stick in your book? I can point to plenty of cops supporting magazine bans, 'assault weapons' bans, and red flag law confiscation. They are fine owning _____ they just don't want you the civilian owning them because it makes their job harder/more dangerous/have elitist attitudes.

Not everyone lives in more rural districts where cops are more friendly towards gun laws. It's not a broad brush when many LEOs will and have uphold these laws. I'm well aware not ever cop is bad just in the same way not every Russian soldier in Ukraine is bad, however they are still carrying out the enforcement of orders they have been given.

Not to speak ill of your friends but I'm guessing they did not offer CCW classes for free? There is no interest to change the status quo as many profits off of the mandatory class to obtain a CCW/CHL. A mandatory class turns a right into a privilege.

If trainers are worth a damn they will have people sign up who are willing to learn not mandated to. And if they are really worth it, they will do what Steve at @Cerberus Group has done and bring in other trainers to his range and not just corner the market to make all the profit.

I am not trying to bash all cops. I have plenty I work with in my profession and considered going that route myself, but the reality is policing is not what it used to be. The vast majority will strip you of your rights and not think twice if it means keeping their job.

And its already against the law for a prohibited person to possess a firearm. Why have a permitting process unless to prosecute someone whose is otherwise law abiding.

Are you sure? Does it say that in the bill? Cause I thought this only banned the sale, attempt to sale, manufacture and distribution and doesn't have anything to do with possession. Maybe if import was on the list then he would not be allowed to bring them over here but I don't think the law says you can't use them for carry
It bans importation
If you are an Idaho resident and you bring that 11+ round magazine in from Idaho in your carry gun or glove compartment or whatever, you are importing it into this state

I'm not aware of any clause that addresses your taking a "hicap" magazine that you legally own out of state say for a match in OR and bringing it back home once the match is done. Are you now illegally importing that magazine?

Anyone have an answer for that?

@Gunbuggy. And @ BAJ475. My apologies, you are correct. After a lot of activity and a long day, the bill passed at 11pm last night. It is the Engrossed bill version which removed the "possession" language and restrictions thereto.
BAJ475 and others are legal in WA on a non WA resident CPL to carry a "large capacity magazine" they own certainly PRIOR to July 1, 2022 anywhere (lawfully) in WA state. I am not clear on if a non WA resident purchasing a mag after that date still complies, but I suppose hard to prove and unlikely to come up.

As to "importing", I believe a non-WA resident who is in WA on a CPL is not an issue, and does not meet the definition of import for two reasons: import is defined and thought of us permanent until used up to completion (Ex avocados); and section 38 does exempt from the definition of import a WA resident who leaves WA (ex out of state match or training or travel) and returns with their same magazines. I would think safe to assume in reverse would also be exempted. Now let's see what SCOTUS does on the issue.

Last Edited:
I am confused about the "imports" also.

If I am in Oregon, do I need to give some standard capacity CC pistol magazines to my Mother-in-law in Washington now, then borrow them each time while carrying in Washington?

Then what is a good yard stick in your book? I can point to plenty of cops supporting magazine bans, 'assault weapons' bans, and red flag law confiscation. They are fine owning _____ they just don't want you the civilian owning them because it makes their job harder/more dangerous/have elitist attitudes.

Not everyone lives in more rural districts where cops are more friendly towards gun laws. It's not a broad brush when many LEOs will and have uphold these laws. I'm well aware not ever cop is bad just in the same way not every Russian soldier in Ukraine is bad, however they are still carrying out the enforcement of orders they have been given.

Not to speak ill of your friends but I'm guessing they did not offer CCW classes for free? There is no interest to change the status quo as many profits off of the mandatory class to obtain a CCW/CHL. A mandatory class turns a right into a privilege.

If trainers are worth a damn they will have people sign up who are willing to learn not mandated to. And if they are really worth it, they will do what Steve at @Cerberus Group has done and bring in other trainers to his range and not just corner the market to make all the profit.

I am not trying to bash all cops. I have plenty I work with in my profession and considered going that route myself, but the reality is policing is not what it used to be. The vast majority will strip you of your rights and not think twice if it means keeping their job.
No the classes were not free because the gun range was a business and they were paying the instructors. However, because I was a member of the Range I got a discount. They were not the ones who made the class mandatory. It was the State of California. And yes, they did offer other classes. One which I took was taught by an ex-seal who was also a LEO. When that class was over, we were asked what we thought. Everyone said "can we do it again."

Maybe I have been fortunate in that I have not encountered many anti 2A LEOs.

I am confused about the "imports" also.

If I am in Oregon, do I need to give some standard capacity CC pistol magazines to my Mother-in-law in Washington now, then borrow them each time while carrying in Washington?
No, from what I understand, the transfer from your Mother-in-law to you would be and illegal transfer in WA.

What are you gonna do when it passes down there?
Fight it tooth and nail and then GTFO if it passes is what I'm going to do if this bugglegum comes to Oregon. What's potentially on deck for vote in OR is far worse than a standard cap mag ban. They're looking to ban most semi-autos.

EDIT: IP17 & IP18 for 2022 ballot

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews