JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
If you got a beard, man bun, and wear skinny jeans there won't be a need to carry anything.

In all seriousness. If you stick to populated areas with minimal defense options I'd say your going to be ok. This isn't Oakland California.

I carry a folder that is assisted-opening. It is legal for me, but is that because I have a CHL?

Your CHL only applies to handguns, not knives. Assisted opening knives, at least here is Or, are not recognized as auto knives and therefore are under the same restrictions as pocket knives. If you have any doubt, just make sure the pocket clip is showing, and then it is not considered concealed.

OK, so I have a wedding to go to next summer in Oregon and I figured I needed to start preparing now given the laws. I will be spending about a week and I hate the idea of being defenseless, especially given Portland's penchant for embracing "weird" (I.E. bums crapping in the streets, rampant drug addiction, and untreated mental illness).

I have been trying to learn about Oregon's gun laws prior to going, but what I have learned so far is troubling to me, and I would really like some clarification.

Oregon appears to be very carry hostile, they refuse to recognize concealed carry licenses from any other state, and will only issue non resident licenses to people from ajoining states. I live in Michigan. So it appears that Oregon insists that I be defenseless. They seem to be as bad as California.

So, Open Carry right? Nope, not really, while legal it looks like Open Carry is so heavily restricted that it is effectively impossible (stupid no gun signs have the force of law, and businesses can even dictate how you carry, so basically it is banned everywhere, as is concealed carry, for the same reason), and state preemption does not cover Open Carry, so local governments can randomly pass whatever laws they want. Not many cities have that I can tell, but the wedding happens to be in one of them, and they ban Open Carry completely. If you have a concealed carry license than local laws do not apply, but as I already said, getting one is impossible for me.

So am I reading it right? Do I really have to be defenseless for a week in a city over run with bums and drug addicts?

Is there any loophole I can exploit?

What about antique guns, does it apply to them, or are they considered non guns under the law? Can I legally carry one?

What about Cap and Ball revolvers?

Is there ANY way to defend myself and exercise my most basic human rights, except a rape whistle and tub of KY Jelly?

I see you signed on to other gun related boards asking the same question, is there a reason you dont' trust the info you get here?

And I recently had a similar situation where I had to fly to PDX, then to LAX, deal with 'something' in LA, pick up a rental car and drive to 29 Palms the same night and had a wonderful experience with everyone I dealt with - including some 'street characters' I was talking to in LA - bottom line is I was not paranoid (heck I grew up in this area and know the 'drill') and didn't feel like I was 'naked' due to being unarmed.
I worked in Watts in South Central, road the bus through Compton about 15 years back. I worked with gang kids in inner city LA for 3.5 years. I lived in downtown Chicago for 2.5 years. In those places I had naught but a blade. I was fearful at times. To be fair, a gun would have been mighty handy in those times.

I work with the mentally ill in Portland. Portland is a city that is really, really tame. I prefer being able to carry my pistol everywhere but at work. (Not even the cops get guns there.) But it is not a terrifying area.

I avoid public transportation because I do get stopped a lot. A lot of the folks who are mentally ill know me and many want to ask questions that are out of my scope of practice as a nurse. It isn't dangerous, just... ...awkward.

Portland is a city that is really, really lame.

There, fixed it for ya!

I used to travel thru Compton and Wilmington, street gangs would be stopping cars to threaten $$ out of the drivers. If I couldn't find a place to turn off, I downshifted a few gears and rev'd er up. They would kick the sides of my car as I sped by. Also had a crazy guy try to run me and my bro over when we were walking back from lunch at Paramount.

Michigan honors Oregon's permits but Oregon does not honor Michigans. I think this needs to be fixed. This a case for universal recopricity.

FYI, Oregon gives authority to cities and counties to make their own laws on carry if you don't have an Oregon CHL. I believe antique is out in Portland.

I see you signed on to other gun related boards asking the same question, is there a reason you dont' trust the info you get here?

Since you visited said other forum, how many responses did this individual get there and from where?

Let's see colts4me, in less than a day, there are 48 responses from good citizens who live in the community or are extremely familiar with OR's unique firearms querks.

Where would you turn for OR info, handgunlaw.us, think not.

The opposite actually. I didn't even know this board existed before, so I asked in those other places first, it was one of those other users who recommended I ask here, and gave me a link in a PM. Thus far this board has been far more helpful than those others.

That is very discouraging, though I do see a few potential weeknesses, that perhaps someone more familiar with Portland ordinances can address.

The ordinance specifically addresses "firearms," but it does not define that term. Does Portland have a statutory definition of "firearm," or does the state definition apply? If it is the state's than it would seem not to cover antiques.

Both sections A and B contain the line "... in a public place, recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the firearm." It is more of a stretch, but "recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the firearm" is a parenthetical statement, I.E. failing to remove the ammunition is not illegal, provided such failure was not reckless. The prosecution would seem to have to prove that merely having a loaded gun or magazine is inherently reckless, the defense would merely have to ask the court bailif if his pistol was unloaded.

Then it lists as an exception a person who is licensed to carry a concealed handgun, but fails to mention from whom the license must be issued. In other words it does not say "licensed by the state of Oregon," but merely "licensed." Oregon may not recognize a Michigan CPL, but it does not say that it must be a license recognized by the state, but merely that it be a license.

I suspect it may be a case of "you may beat the rap but not the ride," and probably has not been tested, but then concealed is concealed. What says those who are more familiar with Portland ordinances and courts?

If you don't have a CHL for Oregon, you are out of luck. And asking legal advice on the "gray areas" of the law or ways to "get around" the Oregon concealed carry laws on an internet forum is frankly irresponsible.

Thread closed.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews