JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
What about the antique idea? Could I skirt around the ban by carrying an antique or a cap and ball revolver?

I really hate the idea of having to rely on pepper spray and knives. Pepper spray has major drawbacks and doesn't work on everyone and I have no training in knife fighting. Also the idea of trying to fight a criminal, who has a gun, with only pepper spray and a knife doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. I will if that is my only option, but I would really like to find someway to carry a gun if I can, even if it is a ridiculous one. That it would allow me to thumb my nose at the liberals would be a nice bonus.

What about tasers? Those have problems too, but more options are better.

Any legal issues with the Kimber Pepper Blaster? (Assuming it's actually even a decent option over regular pepper spray)

What about sprays mixed with CS or CN? Is there a limit to the OC concentration?

Are there any local pepper spray or knife restrictions that could get me in trouble? What about tasers?

Can I at least have a gun in my hotel room?

I did live in the milwaukie/clackamas area for all but 4 years of my life, and I work in portland. I dont really see why it matters.

@9246, 3.5 inches is the limit in blade length. You can have auto' s though. Dont know about pepper spray or tazers.

Last Edited:
What about the antique idea? Could I skirt around the ban by carrying an antique or a cap and ball revolver?

Can I at least have a gun in my hotel room?

9245 I can appreciate your conundrum. Five years ago my wife and family took the train to So Cal for a week of Disneyland, Hollywood and San Diego. With California laws and most of the time spent in gun free zones, it was easier to leave the firearms at home and attempt to blend in with the crowd. A year later I read that a tourist was stabbed to death on the Hollywood Walk of Fame by homeless who demanded that she pay them after taking their picture. Lesson learned, don't interact with locals. Portland mostly has druggies, runaways and crazies for homeless who will panhandle you instead of hardcore criminals. End all attempts to size you up with a palm up and a firm "No Thank You".

Portland hates firearms. You can expect to be verbally harassed by the populace and questioned by the police if you open carry anything downtown. There have been a series of stabbings on and around mass transit so you can expect to be jailed for a defensive display of a knife as the police are finally cracking down. Stay the F out of North Portland and Gresham.

Low lifes tend to associate bright flashlights with the Police, so get a good carry light This is my EDC https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X6DM9XH

You can keep a pistol/firearm as long as its in a locked case, not readily accessible, and unloaded. You can leave it in your trunk or hotel room. You can carry it as long as you're going fishing, hunting, or to a shooting range (public or private) and can prove it easily. It's my current understanding you can have a loaded magazine or speed loader as long as its not inserted into the handgun or stored in the case with it (I could be wrong).

Gun in hotel room? Check hotel policy. If they have a no guns sign or policy its trespassing.

Antique Idea? I can't interpret the legalese. This might help.

Tazers seem to be a go, but not in Portland. See here for state info about some restrictions you should know about.

Pepper Sprays are good in Oregon, but I don't know about Portland. They might be classified as a tear gas weapon. Read and see if you can figure it out. Does anybody have any input? I've carried pepper spray everywhere up until now and wasn't sure if I'd be violating city ordinances if I carry it in Portland.

You can keep a pistol/firearm as long as its in a locked case, not readily accessible, and unloaded. You can leave it in your trunk or hotel room. You can carry it as long as you're going fishing, hunting, or to a shooting range (public or private) and can prove it easily. It's my current understanding you can have a loaded magazine or speed loader as long as its not inserted into the handgun or stored in the case with it (I could be wrong).

Gun in hotel room? Check hotel policy. If they have a no guns sign or policy its trespassing.

Antique Idea? I can't interpret the legalese. This might help.

Tazers seem to be a go, but not in Portland. See here for state info about some restrictions you should know about.

Pepper Sprays are good in Oregon, but I don't know about Portland. They might be classified as a tear gas weapon. Read and see if you can figure it out. Does anybody have any input? I've carried pepper spray everywhere up until now and wasn't sure if I'd be violating city ordinances if I carry it in Portland.

Thankyou.

In regards to antiques, if I'm reading it right, ORS 166.460 seems to be a blanket exemption from ORS 166.250 which (seems to be) the law prohibiting concealed carry without a license. Anyone more knowledgeable about the statutes care to chime in?

Assuming that interpretation is correct, that I CAN carry a concealed antique, can anyone find the Oregon definition of an antique firearm? It seems to good to be true and I am getting a horrifying, if somewhat humorous, mental image of carrying around a flintlock horse pistol. If on the other hand it refers to antique cartridge arms, or even cap and ball revolvers I think I may be in business.

Portland lets Antifa use pepper spray liberally. Legally it is considered to be less than "hands on" on the force continuum.
Get a good light and a tactical pen.

Though not targeted at what you're looking for, there is a lot of good info about antique firearm laws in section 1 of this pdf.

In ORS 166.210

"Antique firearm" means:

(a) Any firearm, including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap or similar type of ignition system, manufactured in or before 1898; and

(b) Any replica of any firearm described in paragraph (a) of this subsection if the replica:

(A) Is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition; or

(B) Uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and that is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

I have got to say, Oregon has started to become fairly anti-gun. Regardless of what the law actually says, it can and will be twisted to meet any current political trends. As mentioned before, You'd be fine with a good tactical light, a decent folding knife, and maybe some pepper spray. Any more, and you're opening the door for someone who's looking for a reason for mess with you.

Though not targeted at what you're looking for, there is a lot of good info about antique firearm laws in section 1 of this pdf.

In ORS 166.210

"Antique firearm" means:

(a) Any firearm, including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap or similar type of ignition system, manufactured in or before 1898; and

(b) Any replica of any firearm described in paragraph (a) of this subsection if the replica:

(A) Is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition; or

(B) Uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and that is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

Interesting. It looks like I won't be able to get away with a Smith and Wesson Number 3 American, but I might just get away with a cap and ball revolver. Not ideal, and a bit silly, but maybe doable. Anyone ever try to conceal a Colt Walker? Lol

Yea it sucks, buttercup. Whatever you do, don't step foot outside a the US. lolz

I don't, and that is why.

Someday, I wouldn't mind seeing the Czech Republic though, more research is needed but it appears I might actually be able to carry there if I jump through the hoops.

Grew up in Portland, its a joke. Concealed means concealed. But your only gonna need a gun if your planning on visiting a crack house or sleeping on a street corner in downtown Portland. Otherwise OC works great, and a knife should keep you feeling all warm and fuzzy. Yes, Oregon's libtards need to be stopped but Multnomah county controls the voting in Oregon.

Defenseless? Do you have arms and legs? One week planned in Portland and you believe it is an apocalyptic wasteland of crime and degradation that requires you to place self defense ahead of all your other plans? 40 + years of routinely traveling throughout Oregon (and much if it in Portland) and I have never placed this much emphasis on self defense as you have with such a short amount of time you have planned there. Stay home if you are this paranoid.

The difference is we live here and have a reasonable idea of where to go, and where not to go. And when.

Folks visiting? Not as much, other than the blatantly obvious.

We were doing a coastal sights tour with my folks a few years back. Litterally "out of no where" a meth head bob rolls up on a bicycle and starts to get into it with us at one of coast scenic turn outs with trails down to features. We had just come back from one of the trail walks. Put some de-escalation into practical use.

Points being. Bad things can happen anywhere. Bad people can be everywhere. Out of town folks tend to do the touristy bits, bad people know this.

OP can come to E. OR and Open Carry all he wants. Nobody thinks much of it. However, you hardly need to. But JIC... you never know, a rabid beaver might be on the prowl!!

If you feel safe walking around Ann Arbor you'll be ok here in PDX. When I go back to visit my relatives in the Detroit area I carry all the time, now that's a scary place.

It took me awhile to find it, but I bought a walking cane that has a brass handle. Although I've never been trained in hand-to-hand stuff, I would take this cane with me if ever I had to go to California. I'd walk around with it all the time.

I'm disappointed that OR doesn't offer reciprocity to any state. Unfortunately, this is how they are with almost everything, such as teaching licenses, contractors' licenses, etc.

@9246, 3.5 inches is the limit in blade length. You can have auto' s though. Dont know about pepper spray or tazers.

Oregon does not have a blade length restriction for carrying. In 1978, in the case of State v. Pruett, the Supreme Court of Oregon found that a "Sportman's" knife with a 3 ½-inch blade, which folded manually into the handle of the knife, but locked when fully open, was an "ordinary pocketknife". One year after the Pruett decision, in State v. Strong, the court found that a knife with a 4 ¾ inch folding blade fit the definition of a pocketknife. However, in 1986, in State v. Witherbee, Mr. Witherbee was indicted and convicted for carrying concealed a six inch Survival Knife, and the Court upheld his conviction finding that the knife he was carrying was not an ordinary pocketknife.

I would not go crazy in length to where it could be considered not an "ordinary pocket knife," but 3.5in is not the limit .

I carry a folder that is assisted-opening. It is legal for me, but is that because I have a CHL?

You see, @9245, in OR there is a huge list of anti-gun, anti-knife, anti-carrying laws that are completely invalid against CHL-holders. Oregonians with a CHL are sort of a super-citizen who have more rights. It really shouldn't be this way, but there ya go.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads