JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all, I recently moved to WA, however still need my OR CHL. What office would I go through to update my existing OR CHL to a WA address and/or do I need to get a new one, if so from who?

I've already applied for a WA license. That appointment is next month (oof).

I would think the first choice would be the original SO that you dealt with.

Failing that, try the MCSO on the East side of Port-weirdia.
Don't let the boarded up windows fool you, they're still open. Just walk up to the counter inside the main entrance. Try to renew before it expires..less chance of complications.

I'm unfortunately nowhere near OR really. Seattle area. So gotta be online or mail-in.

Benton county has no helpful info on their website.

There's no mail in. If, you do, you live in an adjacent state, Hawaii doesn't count either, you must go to a border county for out of state.

so a border county to WA is portland i guess? =\ yuck. tbh sounds like it's just not worth it. if OR wants to be POS about it then i guess just won't do anything dumb when visiting

so a border county to WA is portland i guess? =\ yuck. tbh sounds like it's just not worth it. if OR wants to be POS about it then i guess just won't do anything dumb when visiting
Where did you live before? If you live in MultCo or another border, use the same county and do a transfer. It's best not to use MultCo if it can be avoided.

was in Benton. now in Snohomish so like 7hr drive and Benton's website is actual trash
You could call them, but unless something has changed, I doubt it has, you have to use a border county. When I was in Hawaii, I even argued that technically Hawaii is a border state.

They didn't go for it.

Yeah, so would need to get a 'transfer' CHL in whatever Portland's county is... and unless it's online, doubt i'll bother

Yeah, so would need to get a 'transfer' CHL in whatever Portland's county is... and unless it's online, doubt i'll bother
If you're not expired, I'm pretty sure you can do a transfer. I'd take the extra trek to Columbia or another county and avoid MultCo like the plague it is.

I would not expect any help from Multnomah County.

That said, my boy moved to Washington a year ago, and still hasn't been able to get his CHL updated/renewed as an out of stater thru Washington County. Has to prove to them a need for a CHL. o_O

He's now trying Columbia County.

Or just carry and don't tell anyone….

Washington county is mail-in renewals only, might give them a call and see if they can accommodate an address change. If you're more than halfway to your renewal date, I'd suggest to just renew, changing the address at that time.

Washington county is mail-in renewals only, might give them a call and see if they can accommodate an address change. If you're more than halfway to your renewal date, I'd suggest to just renew, changing the address at that time.
He's been at this a year, and is nowhere. When he lived in Beaverton, they were quite easy. Now, not so much.

Closest Oregon County to current address is what the statutes suggest. Consequently Multnomah County is probably the best option.

i completed it after moving from Clackamas County to Clark County.

You apply online. You are requesting a transfer assuming your Oregon CCL is still current. You will be notified by an MCSO representative about when to come in for photo and fingerprinting. You can work out alternatives if the time they have slotted you doesn't work. About a three to fourth month wait for me when I did it. It actually was much quicker for Oregon to complete the CCL process than the time it took to get my Washington CPL (7mos.) when I moved to rural Clark County a few years ago.

I got my Snohomish county appointment set today, it's in about a month. Exactly actually I think. So that 1 shouldn't be bad. I'm already setup in WA otherwise, been about a month now. I think the main issue is I'm like 6hrs away from Oregon, and tbh I'll be there maaaaybe 1 month over the course of a year. So not sure it's worth it if Oregon can't modernize enough to do it online.

National licenses need to be a thing....

I would not expect any help from Multnomah County.

That said, my boy moved to Washington a year ago, and still hasn't been able to get his CHL updated/renewed as an out of stater thru Washington County. Has to prove to them a need for a CHL. o_O

He's now trying Columbia County.
I'll be down in OR this summer and want to get my non-resident. A thread from a few years ago suggested Multnomah County Sheriff is easy to work with for non-residents, which surprised me, and their website says they will issue non-resident permits for WA. Any recent experience here? I'll be spending time out in Wasco county, but they say flat out that they will not issue non-resident permits. Any insight on Hood River or Sherman counties?

Again, it's recommended to go to the County most adjacent to your non-resident address. Seattle is far enough away you can probably choose your county. Fill out the application and sign up enough in advance to choose the time you want go in for photo and fingerprinting. When I got my date I called in and was allowed some latitude for a different and more convenient date.

I had no issues with Multnomah County. And before that none with Clackamas County. Getting my CCL even as an out of state resident was quicker in Oregon than Clark County WA.

From what I can tell, OR requires non-resident applicants to show up in person in order to obtain a CHL. I've always dealt with Columbia County for my non-resident CHL since the days when that office would appear at Puyallup gun shows and encourage WA residents to apply for carry permits.

I like mail order as much as the next guy but, Oregon doesn't operate that way with respect to CHL, it is what it is.

A non-resident needs to decide if it's worth the effort, or not.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top