JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
OK, so I have a wedding to go to next summer in Oregon and I figured I needed to start preparing now given the laws. I will be spending about a week and I hate the idea of being defenseless, especially given Portland's penchant for embracing "weird" (I.E. bums crapping in the streets, rampant drug addiction, and untreated mental illness).

I have been trying to learn about Oregon's gun laws prior to going, but what I have learned so far is troubling to me, and I would really like some clarification.

Oregon appears to be very carry hostile, they refuse to recognize concealed carry licenses from any other state, and will only issue non resident licenses to people from ajoining states. I live in Michigan. So it appears that Oregon insists that I be defenseless. They seem to be as bad as California.

So, Open Carry right? Nope, not really, while legal it looks like Open Carry is so heavily restricted that it is effectively impossible (stupid no gun signs have the force of law, and businesses can even dictate how you carry, so basically it is banned everywhere, as is concealed carry, for the same reason), and state preemption does not cover Open Carry, so local governments can randomly pass whatever laws they want. Not many cities have that I can tell, but the wedding happens to be in one of them, and they ban Open Carry completely. If you have a concealed carry license than local laws do not apply, but as I already said, getting one is impossible for me.

So am I reading it right? Do I really have to be defenseless for a week in a city over run with bums and drug addicts?

Is there any loophole I can exploit?

What about antique guns, does it apply to them, or are they considered non guns under the law? Can I legally carry one?

What about Cap and Ball revolvers?

Is there ANY way to defend myself and exercise my most basic human rights, except a rape whistle and tub of KY Jelly?

I'd recommend the fox 5 point 3 spray from fox labs. I've used it on a myself (accidentally) and an aggressive pit. It'll definitely do the job...

Even for someone living there is very difficult to know the laws. just driving near Portland you can pass through an area that will have completely different laws than a mile over the other way.

Just assume Portland will be crazy hostile to you if you carry. In Portland you cant even have rounds loaded in a magazine unless you have a conceal carry permit (or are a gang banger, they get a pass)

Its a crap shoot at best, better not try and get buggered for your trouble! O.C. spray and a sub 3 1/2 inch blade get you about as good as you are going to get! Funny, I have a Colorado CCP and AZ. But because I'm not an OryGunion, I don' get recognised, yet Or recognised an AZ. licence, if your a resident of Or. Still having figured that one out:eek::eek::eek: worse, Colorado dosnt recognise any one else, and it's a much freer state! Go figure!:mad: we so need national Constitutnal carry!

Do I really have to be defenseless for a week in a city over run with bums and drug addicts?
Defenseless? Do you have arms and legs? One week planned in Portland and you believe it is an apocalyptic wasteland of crime and degradation that requires you to place self defense ahead of all your other plans? 40 + years of routinely traveling throughout Oregon (and much if it in Portland) and I have never placed this much emphasis on self defense as you have with such a short amount of time you have planned there. Stay home if you are this paranoid.

Last Edited:
Defenseless? Do you have arms and legs? One week planned in Portland and you believe it is an apocalyptic wasteland of crime and degradation that requires you to place self defense ahead of all your other plans? 40 + years of routinely traveling throughout Oregon (and much if it in Portland) and I have never placed this much emphasis on self defense as you have with such a short amount of time you have planned there. Stay home if you are this paranoid.

To be fair, some people in Portland tend to think Portland has scary parts, probably because they have never been any place with ACTUAL scary parts. :rolleyes: Having lived in Phoenix, worked in Tucson, traveled in SoCal, (including a 4 hour layover in LAX where I saw cops take 2 people down hard, like running tackle hard) and lived in the Portland are for the last 10 years, I would rate downtown PDX as 'occasionally mildly uncomfortable.' As for the "bums crapping in the streets, rampant drug addiction, and untreated mental illness," that is pretty much any big city in 'MERICA! any more, and JMHO, much less of an issue in Portland than most west coast cities.

traveled in SoCal, (including a 4 hour layover in LAX
And I recently had a similar situation where I had to fly to PDX, then to LAX, deal with 'something' in LA, pick up a rental car and drive to 29 Palms the same night and had a wonderful experience with everyone I dealt with - including some 'street characters' I was talking to in LA - bottom line is I was not paranoid (heck I grew up in this area and know the 'drill') and didn't feel like I was 'naked' due to being unarmed.

It's not about paranoia, it's principal. It is wrong that I am disarmed, even more, it is a direct attack on my most basic human right of self defense, not to mention the Constitution. I am not a criminal, why should I be treated as one, while all the while the real ones get a pass? So some brainless liberal can feel good, smug and superior that they can make other people bend to their insane will? It's bullbubblegum, and it makes me incredibly angry, to the point of interpreting it as a direct attack. Not to mention an incredibly vile insult.

But yes, it also puts me in unreasonable danger, as it increases my risk, however slight, and for no logical reason at all. Instead of having the most effective tool available I am forced to rely on melee weapons, a far more dangerous proposition; should I have to defend myself, my risk of serious injury is greatly increased over if I had simply used a gun.

I would not normally consider traveling to such a hostile place at all, a place which I literally feel as though is behind enemy lines; Oregon, as well as the "usual suspects" of California, New York, and company are black listed, any place that does not welcome my gun, bars me from entering. Do you know how big of a pain it is to avoid driving through Ilinois when traveling West from South East Michigan? However, in this case I have no real choice, it is my only Sister's wedding, she lives in Oregon, and my presence is required. I am merely trying to make the best of a bad situation as I very much doubt I can convince her to get married in Idaho just so I'm not inconvenienced.

Truth be told, I don't even always carry (but do 90% of the time), but there is a difference between choice and force. I CAN carry if I want to, that's the point, denying me that choice is anathema to liberty, the Constitution, human rights, and common sense.

I would not normally consider traveling to such a hostile place
it is my only Sister's wedding, she lives in Oregon, and my presence is required. I am merely trying to make the best of a bad situation as I very much doubt I can convince her to get married in Idaho just so I'm not inconvenienced.
Oh darn, man I am SO SORRY you have to come to Portland and be so 'inconvenienced' - stay home and exercise your right to self defense and deny your sister your presence her wedding because you are so 'inconvenienced'

Last Edited:
What's with the animosity to his question/concern? It's not like he's not going to come to oregon because of it. Just looking for ways to not be forced out of the ability to carry....

Apparently this hurt your feelings somehow? (Not directed at O.P.)

Pepper spray and a tactical (300+ lumen) flashlight. The worst you will encounter is aggressive panhandlers. Just firmly say "no thank you" and they will bugger off. Remember that bicycle riders always have the right of way.

Apparently this hurt your feelings somehow? (Not directed at O.P.)
Hurt my feelings? Oh waa! Hardly pal (heck you don't even live in Oregon) - I just don't understand a FIRST POST by someone who seems so concerned about self defense traveling to an area he knows NOTHING ABOUT inhibits his ability to appreciate why he is going there in the first place. I am thinking TROLL here...

Hurt my feelings? Oh waa! Hardly pal (heck you don't even live in Oregon) - I just don't understand a FIRST POST by someone who seems so concerned about self defense traveling to an area he knows NOTHING ABOUT inhibits his ability to appreciate why he is going there in the first place. I am thinking TROLL here...

I do appreciate why I am going, if I didn't I would not go at all.

That I know nothing about the area is why I have to ask. Where else do you suggest I ask? What else would you like me to post about? I live in Michigan.

If my wife insisted that we go back to Disney / Hollywood, I would check with CalGuns to get the lay of the land.

This is a great forum for visitors to ask questions. Like the OP, I'd be pissed too. This very reason is why I rarely visit family and friends who live in Cali. Oregon in general, even Portland, is a pretty safe place. It's much better than many of the places I've seen scattered all over the east coast and parts of Cali. When traveling I usually take some time to roam around and see the place. After getting lost in some bad neighborhoods during visits to LA, DC, and Baltimore I almost thought I was somehow teleported back to Ramadi or Kabul. It really was that bad. It's also why I decided to move back here.

Pepper spray, a good flipper folding knife and a tactical flashlight is all you really need.
There is nothing to be paranoid about in the Portland metro area and i have lived here for 32 years without being hassled by anyone in downtown Portland or surrounding areas.
Enjoy your stay here.

Status

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class