JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey All,

Happy Holidays! Been doing some research on the Universal kit offerings out there to upgrade the cheap generic one I've been using for the last couple of years. Hoping for some feedback or opinions on what you recommend and use.

I was curious about the Remington Squeeg-E kit and if any had any experience with Em'. I'm also looking at the Otis kit and Dewey rod cleaning systems. Trying to take advantage of the seasonal sale offerings at Cabelas and elsewhere, for some reason Santa never responds to Dad's wish list...... Thanks ahead of time for any feedback.:D

Last Edited:
Sorry, most people it seems start piecing together what they need, are you looking for pistol solutions, rifle or both?

I can let you know what i've found to be useful if you like?

I have a mixed up hodgepodge of caliber specific brushes and parts of various kits, mostly basic Hoppes or Otis kits and a few old tooth brushes and T-shirt scraps and a .22Bore snake.
One day I'll get fancy.
Love the bore snake on my mini-14 and .22 though.

I got the Otis compact kit, has most of what i needed, i like the cable system for rifle cleaning.

I will add that my only cleaning and lube/protection these days is MPro7 cleaner and then Froglube and/or Seal1 (same stuff essentially) for the lube and protection.

I recently bought a gunslick cleaning rod for my pistols, carbon fibre and ball bearing with a very comfortable handle. I only wish i'd bought this sooner, it's a real joy to use and found it on amazon for ~$15.

On top of the brushes i got with the Otis kit, i also purchased Hoppe's Tornado brushes for all my calibres, these are great;

I use them to do basic cleaning and also use them instead of a jag and/or patch puller. They hold patches up to the barrel very efficiently and are much easier to use than jags and pullers. I still use the brushes for getting any stubborn build up in riflings, otherwise the tornado brushes and/or bore snakes work very well.

Oh, yeah grab some bore snakes, highly recommend those or the Otis version (Ripcords) I have both.

Sorry, most people it seems start piecing together what they need, are you looking for pistol solutions, rifle or both?

I can let you know what i've found to be useful if you like?

Hey Max thanks for the the quick reply! Yes I'd be curious to hear what you use. I'd like to get a combo rifle/pistol kit with quality rods and brushes. I have a boresnake for
45ACP which I use, but as I'm a bit OCD with cleaning so it just serves a a step in the process.

That Elite Otis kit looks like it could be end all be all, do the rip cords do as well as rod system?

Personally, i think i remember trying to find what you're wanting. I'm 99% certain they don't exist :(

I'm a little OCD as well, i'm currently going through detail stripping my guns :)

Read the post above yours and let me know any more questions.

Awesome Max thanks for the great info.! And Bolus and Newbie alike.

I like the idea of your System Max and think that might fill my OCD needs. Did you get your Tornado brushes in a pack or individually for caliber?

One more question on the Tornado brushes Max. I see they're stainless steel, do you use them on all your bores and barrels without ill effect or scratching?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top