JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know that fire danger is high right now...but as long as you all promise to be careful , here are two tinder boxes of mine.

The one with the "burning lens" in the middle of lid is a Hudson Bay Company pattern ( HBC )
The oval one is a pretty "standard" one for the many different time periods .
Both are new made by the Ted Cash Company...they are made of brass and do keep my fire fixin's dry...well I wouldn't go swimming with them...

Inside each I have :
Flint...
Fire Striker "Steel"...
Char cloth ( that's the black stuff in the bottom of the boxes )
Jute..this works best if frayed...
Pine and or cedar shavings stolen from woodshop class...
Andy
DSC06746.jpg

DSC06752.jpg

As my dad would say...."Keep your powder dry".

:)

Funny that you mention that...
I have when its really wet or snowy , sprinkled a little bit of powder among the tinder and used that to start my fire...
If you only use a little and make sure that you :
Have the powder spread out and not compacted...
And keep your powder horn plugged and away from the fire...
You will not go "POOF ! " or "BOOM! "....:eek::D
Andy

Funny that you mention that...
I have when its really wet or snowy , sprinkled a little bit of powder among the tinder and used that to start my fire...
If you only use a little and make sure that you :
Have the powder spread out and not compacted...
And keep your powder horn plugged and away from the fire...
You will not go "POOF ! " or "BOOM! "....:eek::D
Andy

Been the way he has ended our talks for years. I'd say in the last 15 or so I finally got it. :D

I love playing with char cloth, but personally find cotton balls with Vaseline or alcohol-based hand sanitizer easier to use.

When teaching scouts, many had trouble holding a tinder nest around the char cloth and getting a flame to start.

With the cotton balls, it's basically a candle that they just pile tinder on. I find it a bit easier for uncoordinated 12-13 year olds to manage... :p

How well does the jute work for you in making a tinder nest? I can't remember if I was using jute or sisal, but I've had trouble with getting the rope fiber to progress from a smolder to a flame.

I do like the lenses, though!
:s0155:

What are those round things next to the boxes?
"Burning lenses"...otherwise known as a magnifying lens...the brass one with the bead I won as a shooting prize...the one with the blue case I made...

You direct the sun's beam on the item you want to burn...kinda like a "mountain man laser"....:D
Andy

"Burning lenses"...otherwise known as a magnifying lens...the brass one with the bead I won as a shooting prize...the one with the blue case I made...

You direct the sun's beam on the item you want to burn...kinda like a "mountain man laser"....:D
Andy

Okay, that makes sense. Now that I look closer I can see the glass in the one on top of the light blue case, but I still can't see it in the other one, must be super clean.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews