JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ruger Mini-14 Ranch rifle with 18" barrel. If you want to go 'black,' you can update with many options. Then, when the "no hand grips, no forward grips, no adjustable/folding stocks, etc., etc." laws gets passed (as in California b...s...), you can go back to original stock. Be sure to get at least a couple 10 round mags for the same reason.

Any pistol (preferably revolver for reliability) with ammo that conforms to what local police/military use. In case of emergency (natural or otherwise), you can steal/bribe whatever you need.

Last Edited:
Longmire...
Winchester 1894 30-30
Colt 1911 45

Matching...
Marlin 1894/Winchester 1892 357/44
Ruger/SW SA/DA 357/44

Would try to avoid anything that looks military in a second/third world nation. Attracts too much attention.

Last Edited:
Anyway, as a thought experiment: If one were limited by means, an annoying law (as they do in at least one of the territories), or something else, to two firearms for preparedness, what would they be (make, model, accessories)? And most importantly, why?
Its a tie between an AK with POSP (and sling) and a FAL with a Russkie scope and sling, or the AUG with ACOG (haven't decided on sling yet) and the FAL. Too many decisions! :mad:

Gotta have something for the brush, and one out of the brush. Though I could be "good" with just one of the mentioned rifles.

Military calibers allowed?

non-scary
Something in the 30-30 lever & 45 LC Pistol

or a lever in a pistol caliber - 38, 44, 45
with a matching pistol (share ammo)

If you can have a 12 ga. That allows for a large amount of customization.
pair with a large capacity handgun (Glock/Walther/Smith)

Not much you cant solve with a 30-06 or 308
If you are going rifle, then pick what is common where you live. Everyone uses a 270, that is what you need to grab. You may need to pick up ammo over time.
Same for a pistol, match caliber to what your LEO's carry. (like it or not, they are going into harms way and are more likely to be down and have material you can, um, obtain.

One concern is having something "interesting" That is, your neighbors might notice and therefore covet and or talk and then you have a different problem.

While I like guns like the SKS and the AK, the quantity of supplies, 762x39 is more limited in the USA. But there is a lot to be said for dead reliable after not being cared for - digging out of the muck.

If you were truly limited like that, it would have to be:

Colt 1911 45
Lever action 45

Sharing ammo in the situation the OP stated would be a primary concern.

I did not think of the combo guns until someone mentioned it.

Given the limitations on ammo, I think making the most of the ammo would be a good objective. A 12 or 20 ga. with a .223 or .308 rifle barrel would be a start. A triple barrel, shotgun, centerfire rifle and rimfire rifle would be good, and then a self-defense handgun, which given the ammo limitation would be a revolver to handle different kinds of ammo - probably my .460V with a mod to handle .45 ACP in addition to .45 LC, .454 and .460 mag

That would get me two firearms with 6 different cartridges. Having something that will shoot multiple different cartridges works well in a situation like that where your neighbor might have the ammo and not the gun, or be willing to trade the ammo.

I wonder how well a 5.56x45 barrel will work with .22 rimfire projectiles? Would it work well enough to just use an adapter or would it be worth the extra weight to have a dedicated rimfire barrel (which could be very lightweight and thin)?

I wonder if they have limits on reloading in PR?

I can kind of understand how drillings/etc. are popular in Germany with these kinds of constraints.

Last Edited:
Gotta weigh in with lever gun/matching revolver in either 44 or 45 Colt. Both can be loaded from light to silly, easy to reload and built for cast ammo. Love my 45LC but 44mag would probably be easier to find. And with both options one can decide whether to leave "evidence" or take it with you.

FAL hands down for a long gun, and 10mm 1911 for pistol, with a .22 upper slide assembly to increase usefulness. Depending on area, an AR with .22 conversion is also a very viable alternate, but ammo performance suffers behind the 7.62x51. For deep woods, long range post SHTF survival, a 1903 Springfield in .30/06 is pretty much unbeatable for range, accuracy and stopping power, and ammo would be really available in most places of the U.S.
Here is something I have been doing for a while now, I am forced to travel through Kali and the weapons restrictions are always a serious concern, so, for the least amount of trouble I carry a 1911 and ether a K-31 or a 1903. The K-31 has the advantages of speedy follow up shots, and lightning quick reloading, and it isn' a scary black rifle, where as the 1903 has the extra range and hitting power, and almost as fast a reload, both using stripper clips! I find this to be the best compromise in a compromised area, and keeps me off the radar! Further more, if God forbid I ever had to use a weapon in self defence, a wood and steel bolt action isn' going to raise much concern, and a 1911 simply gets poo pooed as a relic of times past! Little do they know just how effective this set up can be! :)

SKS - Versatile works great for defense and hunting and most third work countries have a load of ammo for it.

S&W 357 Revolver 6" barrel.
Both picked for reliability and versatility.

Other :

FN SCAR 10" Barrel in 300
Sig P229 40SW

I would take a Sig p-226 Tac-ops 9mm with the 20 round mag and night sights.

And a quality, lightweight AR15 with a 1x6 scope with lit Dot and cross hairs with hash marks to 500 yards or so, that had a 30 round mag.

Less weight to carry and ammo is accounted for.

If you could have a 100 rounds of rimfire instead of 20 of center-fire, like you should weight wise, I would probably take a 10/22 takedown instead of the 9mm pistol. For small game hunting and light noise signature, suppressed if possible. How much .22lr is ratholed in the usa ? Im all about packing less weight or I would throw in the new Ruger pc 9mm with the AR. Good question and interesting answers.

Ok I put to much thought into this already. Give me 2 quality ARs set up for HD. One breaks I have spare parts. If it's a Home Defense scenario.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top