JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know that fire danger is high right now...but as long as you all promise to be careful , here are two tinder boxes of mine.

The one with the "burning lens" in the middle of lid is a Hudson Bay Company pattern ( HBC )
The oval one is a pretty "standard" one for the many different time periods .
Both are new made by the Ted Cash Company...they are made of brass and do keep my fire fixin's dry...well I wouldn't go swimming with them...

Inside each I have :
Flint...
Fire Striker "Steel"...
Char cloth ( that's the black stuff in the bottom of the boxes )
Jute..this works best if frayed...
Pine and or cedar shavings stolen from woodshop class...
Andy
DSC06746.jpg

DSC06752.jpg

As my dad would say...."Keep your powder dry".

:)

Funny that you mention that...
I have when its really wet or snowy , sprinkled a little bit of powder among the tinder and used that to start my fire...
If you only use a little and make sure that you :
Have the powder spread out and not compacted...
And keep your powder horn plugged and away from the fire...
You will not go "POOF ! " or "BOOM! "....:eek::D
Andy

Funny that you mention that...
I have when its really wet or snowy , sprinkled a little bit of powder among the tinder and used that to start my fire...
If you only use a little and make sure that you :
Have the powder spread out and not compacted...
And keep your powder horn plugged and away from the fire...
You will not go "POOF ! " or "BOOM! "....:eek::D
Andy

Been the way he has ended our talks for years. I'd say in the last 15 or so I finally got it. :D

I love playing with char cloth, but personally find cotton balls with Vaseline or alcohol-based hand sanitizer easier to use.

When teaching scouts, many had trouble holding a tinder nest around the char cloth and getting a flame to start.

With the cotton balls, it's basically a candle that they just pile tinder on. I find it a bit easier for uncoordinated 12-13 year olds to manage... :p

How well does the jute work for you in making a tinder nest? I can't remember if I was using jute or sisal, but I've had trouble with getting the rope fiber to progress from a smolder to a flame.

I do like the lenses, though!
:s0155:

What are those round things next to the boxes?
"Burning lenses"...otherwise known as a magnifying lens...the brass one with the bead I won as a shooting prize...the one with the blue case I made...

You direct the sun's beam on the item you want to burn...kinda like a "mountain man laser"....:D
Andy

"Burning lenses"...otherwise known as a magnifying lens...the brass one with the bead I won as a shooting prize...the one with the blue case I made...

You direct the sun's beam on the item you want to burn...kinda like a "mountain man laser"....:D
Andy

Okay, that makes sense. Now that I look closer I can see the glass in the one on top of the light blue case, but I still can't see it in the other one, must be super clean.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top