JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all. Looking for some advice here.

I 'bought' my first handgun a few weeks ago from a popular online retailer.

The situation is a little confusing but here we go.

After making my first purchase, an M&P Shield for ~$400, a friend sent me a link to a different retailer selling the same gun for around $300. Naturally I felt like an idiot. I requested that retailer 1 price match retailer 2 after the purchase, which of course they said they couldn't do. Of course I cancelled the first order and placed a new order for the second gun at retailer 2.

A weekend and a few days pass and I get a call from the FFL both guns were supposed to go to. The person on the phone says they have a gun there for me. Excited, I quickly drove to the store, signed papers for the BGC, and took possession of my first handgun. To be honest I wasn't really sure what was going on, and sort of assumed something messed up with the order cancellation or that they'd just flat out ignored it. At that point it'd been a while since I'd ordered the second gun so I really wasn't concerned about the $100 savings. Surely they wouldn't send me a gun after cancelling my order.... right?

After taking possession of my new gun I went home to cancel the order from the other store as obviously I didn't need two of the same gun. When I called their support line, though, every time I chose the option to speak with a representative about an order, guess what happened? Their system hung up on me.

I called dozens of times, hoping it'd work once. It never did.

At this point I got a little worried. I sent an email and gave it a few days. Eventually I received an email notification from them saying my email had been read, but to this day (weeks later) I still haven't received a response.

Eventually I called my bank to see if they could reverse the charges. I was never updated on the status of the case, but eventually the charges dropped from my account so I assumed it was taken care of.

Here's the kicker.

About a day after my phone call with my bank, I checked the status of a different card, which I used to purchase the first gun from retailer 1, and saw that the charges for the first gun, which I took possession of(!) had been removed by the retailer. They did, however, charge me a 10% restocking fee.

It's been a few weeks now since I took possession of the first gun and I haven't heard anything from retailer 1. No new charges have shown up on my card, and when checking my account on their website, the order only shows as cancelled. By all indications the transaction is finished on their end and I essentially just paid $40 for a new 9mm Shield.

Now today, THREE WEEKS AFTER MY INITIAL ORDER and TWO WEEKS AFTER CANCELLING THE ORDER AND RECEIVING A REFUND, retailer 2 sends me an update email saying my gun has finally shipped!!

I logged on to the website and the order does not show as cancelled. Are online retailers *really* this inept?

I'm writing here because I'm not sure what to do, and what my rights are as the person on the receiving ends of these packages.

Questions of ethics aside:
Am I legally allowed to take possession of them even though my purchases have all been refunded? I've found absolutely zero posts about a situation like this anywhere on the internet. The closest thing I've found has to do with an individual's right to keep something mailed to them by accident/without consent. I'm not really sure this applies to firearms though for a number of reasons which should be obvious -- one being that the firearm is being sent to an FFL, and another being that I originally did place an order for these guns.

Any advice on the legal aspect of this situation? What are my rights? What should I do about the first gun which I've already taken possession of? Having a fluke like this happen once seems like no big deal but having it happen twice is fairly concerning.

TL;DR two online retailers sent me guns after they refunded my orders and I'm not sure what my rights are and I'm not sure what to do.

Let me know what you guys think

Thanks

You did not buy the guns. you have no right to them For the one you have in your possession.
Email or call the company and tell them they sent the gun in error. Ask them to provide a shipping label for a return of the firearm. Then send it back to them.
For the 2nd if you have not gotten it yet, simply refuse the gun at the ffl tell him it was shipped in error and he will return it to seller. Also advise them they messed up with email or phone call. I would think your personal integrity would already tell you this. Your honor is worth a lot more then a few hundred bucks.

If you have already registered through your FFL, you may have a problem. By registering, you are in effect affirming you have accepted the purchase, and the seller may be able to take action action against you on those grounds.

If not, you may be out some sort handling /restock fees on both sides of the transaction.

IMO there is no "ethics aside". Pay the other $360 for gun A, refuse gun B, and sleep well knowing you did the right thing...
:s0094:
That's the ticket right there. You were happy at the higher price at first. I'd say live with that now that it's been forced on you. Still an ok price. Then complain to their management and see if they'll price match after the fact fovsll the trouble.

Interesting situation.

My first thought is that it would kind of be like shoplifting a gun... canceling a payment after taking possession of said is theft, but i'm no lawyer.
Do what they said, it's not worth risking delayed background checks over. Don't let yourself become a potential theif.

Pay for the first one, send second one back and keep calling. Or pay for both. Either way, its in your best interest that if things mess up ethically, to keep it so that its not from your end of it.

Ya...... I think his post gives a little insight. o_O
I really don't like these selfish first posts.

I don't know you yet........ And no I don't really care..... :s0002:

393BA0B8-79F8-4639-875A-30910F2916E9.gif

TL;DR two online retailers sent me guns after they refunded my orders and I'm not sure what my rights are and I'm not sure what to do
Well since you received product #1 after cancellation, I'd say it must be your lucky day. Hurry up, go buy a powerball ticket. Heck maybe walk into a bank and ask for a hand out, surely they'll empty the vault for you.

Rights? The only "right" you have is to pay for product received. The fact that you are having a moral dilemma over this tells me your conscience is broken.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top