JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My sole experience with online gun auction sites has been with Gunbroker. I've sold many there, and the past year or so, bought maybe ten. So I don't know anything about any of the other sites. Today, I decided to take a look at some of them. Right away, I can see that GB is the major player. I didn't like the other sites as to how they were set up, nor as to starting prices noted which didn't seem competitive. I'm used to seeing crappy websites. But what kind of gun auction website has search options that aren't properly organized?? One I looked at, you could search by caliber / cartridge. But they weren't in any order! How basic is that? So I guess Gunbroker it is. You don't know until you check around.

One thing I noticed about sellers on one site was, they don't take credit cards. Nothing to do with fees, they just only take money orders. I think of using a CC as a form of insurance against getting screwed in an on-line, at a distance transaction. Especially for established sellers. Maybe okay for occasional, non-professional sellers.

One site I looked at was called, Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore. Which may not be an auction site, but somehow I stumbled across it anyway. They had many used Glocks for sale, and of those, they seemed to be mostly police trade-ins. They had many different models, but the one that stood out in its absence (as a common model) was the G19. Why wouldn't there be any of these as trade-ins? This isn't a loaded question, but this lack of G19's makes me think they are a popular gun that doesn't get traded very often. Or maybe police don't use them?

As a private party, I used to sell a lot of brass on Guns America. I only took money orders because I was not a business set up to accept plastic.

Gun broker is a nice site. Last year I was bidding on two different Shadow Systems auctions. I figured I would win at least one of them. Well, I won the first auction and then the second auction ended with me as the only bidder with no reserve! I ended up getting two MR920's for about $500 each.

My sole experience with online gun auction sites has been with Gunbroker. I've sold many there, and the past year or so, bought maybe ten. So I don't know anything about any of the other sites. Today, I decided to take a look at some of them. Right away, I can see that GB is the major player. I didn't like the other sites as to how they were set up, nor as to starting prices noted which didn't seem competitive. I'm used to seeing crappy websites. But what kind of gun auction website has search options that aren't properly organized?? One I looked at, you could search by caliber / cartridge. But they weren't in any order! How basic is that? So I guess Gunbroker it is. You don't know until you check around.

One thing I noticed about sellers on one site was, they don't take credit cards. Nothing to do with fees, they just only take money orders. I think of using a CC as a form of insurance against getting screwed in an on-line, at a distance transaction. Especially for established sellers. Maybe okay for occasional, non-professional sellers.

One site I looked at was called, Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore. Which may not be an auction site, but somehow I stumbled across it anyway. They had many used Glocks for sale, and of those, they seemed to be mostly police trade-ins. They had many different models, but the one that stood out in its absence (as a common model) was the G19. Why wouldn't there be any of these as trade-ins? This isn't a loaded question, but this lack of G19's makes me think they are a popular gun that doesn't get traded very often. Or maybe police don't use them?
I'd assume cops were opting for the glock 17 over the 19?

G19 might be the most popular pistol in America.
Maybe it's a simple case of the G19 trade-ins selling out first ?

Never knew G19 was in the police rotation, 17s and 22s, yes. If the G19 was ever sold as trade-in, you can bet 1 of 2 things, they'd sell out quickly because the 19 is favoured over the 17/22 or that they'd be over priced, close to new stock pricing, and still in stock. If the former, because pricing would have to be great.

At one time Auction Arms was a bigger player than Gun Broker. I think Gun Broker is the best auction site today
. I think some of the other sites are better if the prices are set

Pretty much what @JRuby said. Time was AuctionArms was my go-to place for auctions. But they slowly seemed to fall apart over the years; technologically, quality of sellers, responsiveness from their staff, et al. Gunbroker is the platform I've used almost exclusively for better part of a decade. Not perfect, but no major complaints either. And, naturally, there is a pretty robust system here too. Happy bidding. :s0155:

Last Edited:
Problem with GB is their fees are pretty high. Last time I bought something, they collected not only tax and shipping, but a GB fee. That ticked me off. I though those fees were upon the seller, but experience with friends who are FFLs is they command a 10% fee from them as well. I like https://www.gunauction.com/ as a buyer, and scored a really nice gun there once. I have no experience as a seller; while their audience is not as wide, I understand their fees are considerably cheaper.

Problem with GB is their fees are pretty high. Last time I bought something, they collected not only tax and shipping, but a GB fee. That ticked me off. I though those fees were upon the seller, but experience with friends who are FFLs is they command a 10% fee from them as well. I like https://www.gunauction.com/ as a buyer, and scored a really nice gun there once. I have no experience as a seller; while their audience is not as wide, I understand their fees are considerably cheaper
This past week, I've been both a buyer and a seller. The GB buyer "compliance" fee was small. I think about 1%. As a seller, I think my fee was about 6% but I don't use the GB Immediate Checkout process which enables a credit card charge. The 6% fee goes down to 4% on sale amounts over $325. There are other charges for using the Immediate Checkout feature, "real" dealers mostly use this feature. I don't know what the charges are for that.

I view GB fees in light of eBay fees. Which are around 15% for items that I've typically sold.

The state sales tax, that's not within the control of GB. Once the Wayfair decision came down, all the states who have sales tax couldn't get their hooks in fast enough.

Gunbroker is the platform I've used almost exclusively for better part of a decade. Not perfect, but no major complaints either.
There is a life lesson in this statement. Endeavor to find what works best for you, but never expect it to be perfect.

I have over eighty transactions on GunBroker as buyer and seller. Perfectly happy with them in every way. Never once had to pay any GunBroker fees as a buyer. Final bid plus shipping and get the item. Their selling fees always come really close to 6% total. That's with a couple of add-ons price-wise to the ad. No surprises, no hidden BS. I have yet to see what Ebay does to warrant their extra 9%+.

Gunbroker is owned by Ammo, Inc. Which also bought Jagemann Brass Stampings, or at least the part that makes cartridge brass.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top