JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I read that rcw. It did not tell me, or explain if the loading tube for my mossberg 500 is considered a mag or chamber if I have shells in it but none chambered in the gun ready to fire.
"(b) The rifle or shotgun contains shells or cartridges in the magazine or chamber, or is a muzzle-loading firearm that is loaded and capped or primed."

The tube is a form of magazine. Round doesn't have to be chambered to be considered "loaded" by the law.

I think it's a load of BS how LE are exempted from all this loaded long guns in vehicle nonsense in the WA state law. Last time I checked, LE personnel are citizens first before anything and are subject to the laws like anyone else, so as a result, LE exemptions just create a power balance issue between the good citizens and the government institutions. Kind of like the "rules for thee, but not me" type of mentality.

I think it's a load of BS how LE are exempted from all this loaded long guns in vehicle nonsense in the WA state law. Last time I checked, LE personnel are citizens first before anything and are subject to the laws like anyone else, so as a result, LE exemptions just create a power balance issue between the good citizens and the government institutions. Kind of like the "rules for thee, but not me" type of mentality.
Blame Fish & Wildlife, they're the ones who crap the bed about "the only reason to ever have a loaded gun in a vehicle is poaching!"

So you would take a random stangers statement over rhe Internet as definitive say on the matter? I wouldn't recommend that. You can get information, but then you should verify it yourself. Checking the RCW's is pretty simple when you just google "RCW transporting rifle in vehicle"

I teach my students to do their own research, but I'm feeling nice today.

As long as it isn't loaded into the gun, doesn't matter where the magazine is.
Yah I read that reg multiple times prior to my post. I agree with you; that it is legal to keep the mag near or on the firearm as long as it's "detached". I was looking for feedback on what other's interpreted it as. If I had posted it on a forum about cupcakes, then I'd agree with your statement about random strangers (although I see @sobo on that site too). As strange as most of the folks on this site are (they know who they are...), I feel like the majority of the folks here are gun enthusiasts and not really random strangers so I'd listen to what they have to say.

If I had posted it on a forum about cupcakes, then I'd agree with your statement about random strangers (although I see @sobo on that site too).
Somebody said, "Cupcakes"...??? Where are they? Lemme at 'em!

Ooooooooooooooooo... cupCAKES!!!

Cupcakes.jpg

Last Edited:
That's called a magazine.
This is correct!
Both historically, and legally, any fixture installed on a firearm that is meant to hold and feed ammunition is a defacto magazine,
Otherwise known as a feeding device, like the feed tube in various lever actions, .22 rim fire rifles, and yes, shotguns!

Now, the real question should be, can a tube magazine be loaded while the weapon is broken down, like my 1897 Winchester can, technically, yes, it's not able to feed the weapon until it's installed to the receiver, so, theoritically, it would pass the legal sniff test, but don't bet on a cop knowing any better!

but don't bet on a cop knowing any better!
The same could be said of cops encountering you with an AR or AK pistol in your car.
In WA, and with a CWP, it's totally legal to carry a loaded and chambered AR or AK pistol in your vehicle.
Yes, it's just a pistol, but I wouldn't bet on a cop knowing any better...

I see many people talk about having a "truck rifle" or shotgun. In Wa can you carry a rifle or shotgun in your car or truck?
Not to derail this discussion, but if you were to habitually carry (as in, leave it in your vehicle) a truck/trunk gun, I'd remove any pro-2A stickers on your car.
You're just broadcasting to a more pernicious element that there could be some goodies inside...

Last Edited:
The same could be said of cops encountering you with an AR or AK pistol in your car.
In WA, and with a CWP, it's totally legal to carry a loaded and chambered AR or AK pistol in your vehicle.
Yes, it's just a pistol, but I wouldn't bet on a cop knowing any better...
I got crap from one of those small county sheriff's deputies who threw an absolute fit when he stoped to check us out busting sage rats, I had my Loaded SBR Suppressed AR sitting on the hood and he practically screamed for backup 3 counties over! I showed him on my phone that it was in fact perfectly legal, and that yes, I can keep it in my truck loaded and with the suppressor attached! I will say, once he got his heart going again and decided I wasn't a terrorist, he was quite reasonable! It also prolly helped that my brother had him covered with a 6.5 Swede from a far bit aways, ya know, keep him honest and civil like!

This is correct!
Both historically, and legally, any fixture installed on a firearm that is meant to hold and feed ammunition is a defacto magazine,
Otherwise known as a feeding device, like the feed tube in various lever actions, .22 rim fire rifles, and yes, shotguns!

Now, the real question should be, can a tube magazine be loaded while the weapon is broken down, like my 1897 Winchester can, technically, yes, it's not able to feed the weapon until it's installed to the receiver, so, theoritically, it would pass the legal sniff test, but don't bet on a cop knowing any better!
Just seems like it's easy to skirt all of that with an external magazine. Insert mag, rack round into chamber, done. This lends itself more toward rifles then shotguns, true, but I'd generally always prefer a 30 round mag rifle to a 5-7 round 12ga.

I got crap from one of those small county sheriff's deputies who threw an absolute fit when he stoped to check us out busting sage rats, I had my Loaded SBR Suppressed AR sitting on the hood and he practically screamed for backup 3 counties over! I showed him on my phone that it was in fact perfectly legal, and that yes, I can keep it in my truck loaded and with the suppressor attached! I will say, once he got his heart going again and decided I wasn't a terrorist, he was quite reasonable! It also prolly helped that my brother had him covered with a 6.5 Swede from a far bit aways, ya know, keep him honest and civil like!
When power is balanced, people tend to be more reasonable and polite. When power is imbalanced, well… that's the history of all atrocities of mankind right there.

So to jump on this thread's bandwagon, can you just velcro or tape a magazine to the side of the gun since it's not attached? I was considering something like a Kel-Tec Sub 2K because it folds up nice and small, and is cheap enough to beat around in the truck so technically it's a rifle....
I have had one of the original S2K's for at least 15 years that is great for this. Fits in a laptop case, even then the laptop is in there. No one gives it a second look. Super simple to get in action if needed. The Gen II Version of these made some nice upgrades. If I ever manage to wear my old one out I will be buying another.

Blame Fish & Wildlife, they're the ones who crap the bed about "the only reason to ever have a loaded gun in a vehicle is poaching!"
Just thought of this for the AR, if time was of the essence and you wanted or cared to stay legal.

Keep AR, trigger charged, BCG locked back and safety off. Then the only thing you would need to do is insert mag and press the bolt release. Can't think of a faster method apart from using a pistol where the CPL covers it being loaded.

I have had one of the original S2K's for at least 15 years that is great for this. Fits in a laptop case, even then the laptop is in there. No one gives it a second look. Super simple to get in action if needed. The Gen II Version of these made some nice upgrades. If I ever manage to wear my old one out I will be buying another.
They are sweet for what they are. When I don't pack a 5.56 or 7.62x39 or .300 BLK, the sub2000 goes in the bag. And you can't forget the happy sticks either!

They are sweet for what they are. When I don't pack a 5.56 or 7.62x39 or .300 BLK, the sub2000 goes in the bag. And you can't forget the happy sticks either!
Yep! When there was a glut in the market I bought enough happy sticks to last me a lifetime. Going to be a bummer if they take them away but, what can I say. I tried several other after market stick mags made for Glock. I have yet to find one that worked all the time so I gave up. Ended up giving some away here. When there is not a panic going on the cost difference between the factory happy sticks and the after market is not enough to make me understand why anyone bothers. I suspect if they do not outlaw them I will never wear any of them out and damn if they are not FUN! :D

Yep! When there was a glut in the market I bought enough happy sticks to last me a lifetime. Going to be a bummer if they take them away but, what can I say. I tried several other after market stick mags made for Glock. I have yet to find one that worked all the time so I gave up. Ended up giving some away here. When there is not a panic going on the cost difference between the factory happy sticks and the after market is not enough to make me understand why anyone bothers. I suspect if they do not outlaw them I will never wear any of them out and damn if they are not FUN! :D
What is this "take them away" you speak of? Nobody can take anything from an armed man without his compliance. I aim to misbehave.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top