JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I think the "magazine" or tube holds 19 rounds.
2009827104037-rem66_fs.jpg

From my reading of the law....
Tube fed .22 rifles are still legal...and not subject to the new restrictions.

However...
I ain't a lawyer...and this question has been "debated" here on the forum...with many different views presented.
Andy

14 rounds was what my dad's 1950s Nylon 66 held of .22LR ammo. Since it's a fixed tube magazine, rimfire, semiautomatic rifle without most of the cosmetic features except maybe the barrel shroud... I think it's still good to go?

Looking again at various sites to include the actual bill...
A tube fed .22 rifle is not subject to the new law / restrictions...nor are lever action tube fed rifles of any caliber.

Nevertheless....it is a stupid , useless law.
Well....maybe not useless to those who wish to undermine the 2nd Amendment.
Andy

Andy54Hawken said:
"Looking again at various sites to include the actual bill...
A tube fed .22 rifle is not subject to the new law / restrictions...nor are lever action tube fed rifles of any caliber."

But center-fire slide action tubular magazines are NOT exempt, only lever actions!

Some:

Bruce
If you read the actual law...
Lever action tube fed rifles of any caliber indeed are exempt.....which is all that I stated in regards to center fire calibers....:rolleyes:
I never mentioned any other action type.
And again....the law is stupid and useless.
Andy

Last Edited:
Re. 1240 and the Nylon 66, there are two issues going on here. One is magazine capacity; the other is rimfire vs. centerfire. It's exempt from 1240 for two reasons: Tube magazine is exempt and it's not a centerfire.

The Nylon 66 is still limited by the provisions of I-1639, however. Because it is a semi-auto.

NOTE: Not related to legality, the Nylon 66 has been out of production for many years. I recommend OP find out which parts break most often and get a set of spares. The last one I repaired several years ago had a little plastic part in the action that broke. It was difficult to find, and when found, the company I bought it from said it was their last one. Without this part, the rifle is a single shot. I also recommend keeping a spare magazine on hand, if you can find one complete. In recent times, they are not typically sold complete but as individual repair parts. And at present, even the little plastic twist knob on the end is not available.

But center-fire slide action tubular magazines are NOT exempt, only lever actions
Slide action tube magazine rifles are not an issue with 1240, as slide actions, they are specifically exempted. Extract from the text:

(c) "Assault weapon" does not include antique firearms, a firearm that has been made permanently inoperable, or any firearm that is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action.

They are not covered by I-1639, either.

The law doesn't specifically mention single shots. But it can be argued that the break-open action or falling block is operated by a kind of lever. I know, it seems common sense that a single shot, however actuated, wouldn't be covered under 1240 but ...

I just bought one but I have to wait 10 days because it is an assault rifle.
It does not fall under the 1240 definition of an assault rifle, but any legal-to-purchase semi-automatic rifle requires a 10 day waiting period. This went into effect in January 2023. I just bought a lever action rifle and took it home within 1 hour. But starting Jan. 1 2024, any and all firearms will require a 10 day wait period.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top