JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have been telling everyone I want 22lr ammo for Christmas

You will find out that some 22lr ammo will not shoot well in your rifle (FTE, FTF). Mind does not like Remington lightning bolt ammo for some reason but shoots CCI & Federal reliably well.
Also some 25 round magazines can be problematic such as plastic feed lips verses steel feed lips.
Good luck.;)

Last Edited:
You will find out that some 22lr ammo will not shoot well in your rifle (FET, FTF). Mind does not like Remington lightning bolt ammo for some reason but shoots CCI & Federal reliably well.
Also some 25 round magazines can be problematic.
Good luck.;)
^^I second all of this.

Not all rifles like all ammo. same goes for pistols. both my rifles and pistols don't reliably cycle/fire winchester bulk and remington bulk.

I've had good luck with remington subsonics though, but have noticed that about 1 or 2 out of every box of 50 gives a louder pop sound while ejecting the brass. (I shoot suppressed when I run the subsonics or CCI standard velocity rounds which makes it very noticeable if the powder load was off.)

both guns love federal bulk, CCI bulk, and I highly recommend CCI standard velocity for subsonic/suppressed shooting. extremely rare to have a FTF or FTE with either of those brands.

Standard velocity CCI is just under supersonic speed and stays subsonic out of a 16" barrel. so it's a good cheap way to plink on the quieter side. pistols with 3-3.5" barrels will keep any of the 22lr ammo at subsonic speeds regardless.

Ammo cans are another good investment. either put the boxes of ammo inside the can, or dump the boxes inside the can. any good ammo can is air/water tight and will keep your ammo dry and corrosion free. try not to overpay though.

Congratulations @BrandonOR on your 10/22. Even though I have been shooting guns for many years
and own a lot of different guns I still love shooting my 10-22.:p It is a fun relaxing plinker. I think
the #1 first mod that I would do to make it shoot better is a good trigger. I put a Volquartsen
trigger kit in my take down. And a 2X7 compact Leupold scope. :rolleyes: FYI: Cleaning the 10-22 with a rod
from the breach end is advised as not to damage the barrel crown. This is easily done and a common
mod to drill a hole in the rear of the receiver.:D

I can't wait to get out there again. I picked up a Ruger 10/22 carbine on black Friday from bimart for 189, my first firearm purchase!

Got packed up and went searching up around goosenecks Rd looking for spots. Found some unsafe spots that had been used to shoot garbage (outboard motor or water pump) so me and the wife went through and picked up shells, clays and casings too.

Found what looks like the "good spot" but there was a family of atv enthusiasts so we moved on and found a cool little place.

I had a great time and can't wait for stuff I ordered. All I had was 1 10 round magazine but that's gonna change soon. I ordered a 25 and 50 round magazine and the Volquartsen exact edge extractor and auto bolt release. Any other advice on mods or scopes would be extremely helpful.

Even got my wife to shoot for the first time and now she's talking about getting one too.
So all in all a great day, we cleaned up and packed out and my wife had a bunch of new questions and excitement about shooting.

Sorry for the lengthy post I'm just really excited about my purchase and first time out. Any advice about shooting (aiming, trigger control, ECT.) Would also be help, more practice I'm sure will help lol

Thanks
-B
IMO this is the best modification you can make to your 10-22 before you spend more money on a stock and barrel :)
10-22 Hammer & Sear Pack [PC-1022-009] - $65.99 : GrandMasters L.L.C., Gunsmithing, Ruger 10-22, AK-47, Ruger, AR-15, Ruger Accessories, Gunsmithing Tools and Gun Accessories

I second the suggestion of signing up for a Project Appleseed event to gain valuable knowledge on becoming a safe and more confident rifleman. They take all experience levels, from a nooby all the way up to very experienced shooters who have qualified on the AQT multiple times. I have been to four Appleseeds and have learned something new each time I go. It is a great value also. $60.00 for two full 8 hour days of instruction by some very good and knowledgable instructors. I currently have six 22lr rilfes with three of them being 10/22's. I recently picked up a Thompson Center TCR22 (made by Smith and Wesson). It is basically a 10/22 clone with a ton of 10/22 upgrades that come standard on this very nice tack driving rifle. I purchased it through Cabela's website for $369.00 + tax. Smith and Wesson currently has a $50.00 rebate (expires 12.31.18) which takes the price down to a very modest $319.00. I took the TCR22 out this past weekend very pleasantly surprised to find that I was hitting a 8" steel plate with every round I sent down range at approx. 100 yards with the stock sights (rear peep and fiber optic front). In my opinion, S&W created probably the best sub $400.00 22lr rifle that I have ever shot right out of the box. This one is going to be my new Appleseed rifle.

I can't wait to get out there again. I picked up a Ruger 10/22 carbine on black Friday from bimart for 189, my first firearm purchase!

Got packed up and went searching up around goosenecks Rd looking for spots. Found some unsafe spots that had been used to shoot garbage (outboard motor or water pump) so me and the wife went through and picked up shells, clays and casings too.

Found what looks like the "good spot" but there was a family of atv enthusiasts so we moved on and found a cool little place.

I had a great time and can't wait for stuff I ordered. All I had was 1 10 round magazine but that's gonna change soon. I ordered a 25 and 50 round magazine and the Volquartsen exact edge extractor and auto bolt release. Any other advice on mods or scopes would be extremely helpful.

Even got my wife to shoot for the first time and now she's talking about getting one too.
So all in all a great day, we cleaned up and packed out and my wife had a bunch of new questions and excitement about shooting.

Sorry for the lengthy post I'm just really excited about my purchase and first time out. Any advice about shooting (aiming, trigger control, ECT.) Would also be help, more practice I'm sure will help lol

Thanks
-B
I love .22 shooting. It is more relaxing and less expensive than my Thunderblasters.
I am a ballistics and graphics enthusiast. I design turret labels that allow exact settings out to 200 yards.
I chronograph all the ammo I shoot.
I love to kill golf balls from 25 to 200 yards!
How to communicate with you outside of this format? I feel like I'm swimming against the current.

Great choice for a first rifle, take up the invitation for range time, and make sure you and your wife get instruction from a professional, with hand guns and long guns as well. Remember safety first, get the instruction it can save you a ton of grief.
Then spend as much as you can afford on MORE GUNS and AMMO ETC,ETC!
Good luck and enjoy, OH did I mention getting safety instruction?:D
Gabby
PS never sell your 10-22 you will forever be kicking yourself for doing so if you do, I speak from experience!:oops:

Good first purchase. I truly believe every house should have at least one Ruger 10-22! I remember the first time when I was a kid on my dads 10-22.

They are incredibly easy to wrench on. Parts galore everywhere. Don't need to go nuts on replacing parts, but you totally can.

With this guy, you can get all your fundamentals down and do it on the cheap. 22 is very well priced right now so it's easy plinking these days.

I can't really recommend any good shooting advice over the web, if anything I'd say practicing target transitions with a 10-22 is very good muscle memory training. Also learn the triggers break and reset help, this is just something you learn over many rounds firing it. Lots of good fundamentals can be practiced with the 10-22 before jumping to a bigger caliber.

Glad you enjoyed the rifle and getting into the shooting sports!
Dam !
@Reno911 .now I have to buy a 10/22

Just remember this it only gets worse from here on out .
Next you want a 22 pistol.
Then a shotgun.
Then a 9mm pistol.
Then a AR-15 .
THEN A AR10.
then this is where you really get in trouble.
YOU DECIDE TO BUILD YOUR OWN GUN.
GOD HELP YOU.
and welcome to the great sport of Shooting.

Can't say that's true, but at least a 10/22 should be had.

I've owned like 6-7 over the years. Currently have 3. Super fun plinking rifles.

Can't say that's true, but at least a 10/22 should be had.

I've owned like 6-7 over the years. Currently have 3. Super fun plinking rifles.
I don't have one now but had access to a few years ago when I was a kid .
I just bought a 22/45 lite.
And got a conversion kit for one of my AR 15 .
AND GOT 4 25 ROUND MAGS.
but yes the 10/22 is a great gun .
My first gun when I was a kid was a Marlin mod 60 22 RIFLE

You won't be disappointed with the 22/45. Damn fun pistol. I've shot lots of 22 AR15s and always considered one. However the 10/22 is just the quick essential 22lr rifle platform in my opinion. Nothing out there like it, nothing quite compares. If I had to choose one 22 rifle knowing what I know and having shot all the things I've shot, I'd pick the 10-22 over and over again.

Even with that said, I'm a sucker for a cheap gun, so when Bimart had $96 dollar semi auto 22lrs on sale for Black Friday, naturally one came home with me.

43917.jpg 43917.jpg Yep I wanted the 22/45 for a while .
I wanted the green or grey one.
So I walked into the store last week .
They only had a red and black one in the display case.
I asked about a grey or green .
He said we can order one .
I said do it order a grey one .
So he went to tell the guy in the back to order one .LOL HE CAME OUT AND SAID WE HAVE A GREY ONE IN THE BACK.
they brought it out and I bought it on the spot.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top