JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I can't wait to get out there again. I picked up a Ruger 10/22 carbine on black Friday from bimart for 189, my first firearm purchase!

Got packed up and went searching up around goosenecks Rd looking for spots. Found some unsafe spots that had been used to shoot garbage (outboard motor or water pump) so me and the wife went through and picked up shells, clays and casings too.

Found what looks like the "good spot" but there was a family of atv enthusiasts so we moved on and found a cool little place.

I had a great time and can't wait for stuff I ordered. All I had was 1 10 round magazine but that's gonna change soon. I ordered a 25 and 50 round magazine and the Volquartsen exact edge extractor and auto bolt release. Any other advice on mods or scopes would be extremely helpful.

Even got my wife to shoot for the first time and now she's talking about getting one too.
So all in all a great day, we cleaned up and packed out and my wife had a bunch of new questions and excitement about shooting.

Sorry for the lengthy post I'm just really excited about my purchase and first time out. Any advice about shooting (aiming, trigger control, ECT.) Would also be help, more practice I'm sure will help lol

Thanks
-B

Good first purchase. I truly believe every house should have at least one Ruger 10-22! I remember the first time when I was a kid on my dads 10-22.

They are incredibly easy to wrench on. Parts galore everywhere. Don't need to go nuts on replacing parts, but you totally can.

With this guy, you can get all your fundamentals down and do it on the cheap. 22 is very well priced right now so it's easy plinking these days.

I can't really recommend any good shooting advice over the web, if anything I'd say practicing target transitions with a 10-22 is very good muscle memory training. Also learn the triggers break and reset help, this is just something you learn over many rounds firing it. Lots of good fundamentals can be practiced with the 10-22 before jumping to a bigger caliber.

Glad you enjoyed the rifle and getting into the shooting sports!

Thanks Reno, what about the Diamond rear sight lineup? How should the gold bead line up with diamond and your target?
You'll learn with more use where the bead will need to be in regards to the rear sight to hit at various distances.

I had many Firearms before I had bought a 10/22 Deluxe back in the mid-eighties.

I taught both my children the right and safe way to handle firearms with it. They advanced up through the ranks to shoot a 3030, 12 gauge shotgun and my 30 ought 6.

Good luck, you are now hooked for life.:cool:

Congratulations on your first firearm purchase! As others have cautioned, beware, it's addictive! 10/22 is a great start for a first rifle.

Hi Brandon...
Congrats on the carbine. A very solid choice to start your collection.
I have a few myself...as another member said above, my advise would be to go slow, don't throw "the catalog" at it all at once.
After researching mods and parts, lean toward the quality components. Nothing more frustrating that the $40 red dot that fails right away, while your buddy with the $100 option has no issues. Quality pays many dividends..

Also, look into shooting a Speed Steel match. Terrific fun, for both you and your wife. No mods needed (other than a few more mags), and you'll build targeting skills and trigger control rapidly.
Give a shout if you want any particular info.

Have fun!

Perhaps a good second purchase that will bring you lots of enjoyment and years of fun is a steel target. This and a 10-22 are lots of fun. The instant gratification of a hit makes it truly enjoyable.

Economy Static Popper

upload_2018-12-3_11-36-29.jpeg

Enjoy, after the MK line of pistols the 10/22 was probably Rugers best idea ever. If you get another look at the take down model.For Mags I would go with the Ruger Factory and the "Steel Lips", both have served me well. Great that you are already responsible too. We need more responsible shooters to help give the hobby a better name.

Awww....shoulda posted up, you can make the factory bolt release an "auto" in two minutes with a needle file.

Great firet gun! Was my first purchse too... ut that was 25 years ago :)

Soon it'll be time for a big boy gun. I have had many 10/22's, all functioned flawlessly with factory parts. Instead of plowing money into it (which can easily amount to hundreds), buy more guns!!! When you have a few more backtrack and put a few bucks into mods. Think carefully its very easy to wind up with a 10/22 with $600 plowed into it.

Another thing I forgot to mention. Now that you know you like shooting a .22, ammo. Over multiple decades I have seen "shortages" come and go. We recently went through one that was the best I had ever seen. Where for years it was hard to buy .22 ammo. So when you are at your favorite store and it's on sale put some away each time. Stuff never goes bad. Sooner or later something will set off another panic shortage. During the last one I was sitting on about 15K of .22 ammo so I and Wife were fine. After that I now sit on about 20K. Most will soon forget and when something happens again be screaming. Set aside a little every chance. You will be glad you did :)

A 10/22 eh? Well, I'm glad you finally bought your first "firearm". :D

.22LR is a gateway drug........

Another thing I forgot to mention. Now that you know you like shooting a .22, ammo. Over multiple decades I have seen "shortages" come and go. We recently went through one that was the best I had ever seen. Where for years it was hard to buy .22 ammo. So when you are at your favorite store and it's on sale put some away each time. Stuff never goes bad. Sooner or later something will set off another panic shortage. During the last one I was sitting on about 15K of .22 ammo so I and Wife were fine. After that I now sit on about 20K. Most will soon forget and when something happens again be screaming. Set aside a little every chance. You will be glad you did :)

I have been telling everyone I want 22lr ammo for Christmas

Very happy for you @BrandonOR! Everyone must have a Ruger 10/22, it is one of those classic American guns.

If you end up buying extended mags (Butler Creek or Ruger) do yourself a favor and get the Butler Creek loader. You dump ammo in there and turn the wheel to feed it into the magazines. Saves A LOT of time.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top