JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Salt
Honey
Unroasted Coffee Beans (Green)

Thousands of years of wars of control of spice trade routes lead me to believe that, if you're in a position to need to trade booze and cigs...you can also trade salt, honey, and coffee. Little luxuries go a long way.

Yep! Honey and salt I just started buying little by little when I got to the grocery store. The bug box of mortons is only $2-3. I buy extra coffe but never thought about unroasted....

I also hoard free lumber.

Yep! Honey and salt I just started buying little by little when I got to the grocery store. The bug box of mortons is only $2-3. I buy extra coffe but never thought about unroasted....

I also hoard free lumber.
Unroasted beans are essentially seeds (What is the Shelf Life of Green Coffee Beans?). Just like any other seed, they'll last a good long time if stored correctly, and even longer if stored optimally.

Plus, the best cup you'll ever make is the one you roast, wait a day or two, then grind and brew.

I don't think I ever said that. Somehow I seem to think you may have said that several times?

But anyway, carry on.:rolleyes:
I am NOT saying you, Mike, said give up. I am saying I hear MANY gun owners, at every election, saying they did not bother to vote because we are so outnumbered we can't win. Do you, Mike, have another definition of this? Have another method to make this better without voting? I am all in on how. To me it means give up. I refuse to do so. Gun owners who vote but choose to throw their vote away are doing the same thing. They are supporting the one who is against them. Talk to anyone who sells guns. Ask them how many buyers walk in months or even years after some new anti gun law has passed and had no idea it was law. If you do you will not like what you hear from them any more than what I said. :s0054:

Just remember it's never been about ammo:

Those who don't have a gun in the Department of Justice's system are required to pay the state a $19 fee and undergo a more comprehensive background check, a process that can take days, or they can go online and register a firearm in the database.

To all the people mentioning the millions of gun owners in California, a good portion of them believe they need to enact as much reasonable control as possible to ensure gun safety.

Having lived in said state, I'm aware of multiple gun owners that vote for these restrictions.

In no way is there a majority of liberty minded people there. It is all about safety. They'll continue to be one of the test states for any ridiculous law Bloomberg and his ilk want. And it isn't just BB.

To all the people mentioning the millions of gun owners in California, a good portion of them believe they need to enact as much reasonable control as possible to ensure gun safety.

Having lived in said state, I'm aware of multiple gun owners that vote for these restrictions.

In no way is there a majority of liberty minded people there. It is all about safety. They'll continue to be one of the test states for any ridiculous law Bloomberg and his ilk want. And it isn't just BB.
That is a problem in all states. The reason these gun laws keep going in is so many gun owners either will not resist or, often they actually support them. The idea being if you give a little of your freedom away the people who want to take it will stop. Well most of us see how that works. No matter how much they take it's of course not enough. They just come back for more. Sadly it still does not seem to wake enough gun people up, at least not yet. I keep hoping most will finally see that compromise always only goes one way and stop.

Talk to anyone who sells guns. Ask them how many buyers walk in months or even years after some new anti gun law has passed and had no idea it was law.
And in California this is even true of law enforcement officers. If I had a dollar for every time someone I knew retired from that profession and then realized how bad the laws are I could buy another gun...one not likely legal in CA. Why is this? Because regular officers have almost no contact / need to enforce the crazy political laws. When they find a "high capacity" magazine and an "assault rifle" they are generally on a career criminal who just did a drive by, not Ward Cleaver.

They have no idea that 90% of the handguns in any shooting magazine are not legal (for non-cops) to buy in the state. They have no idea how expensive the few guns still lawfully sold are compared to other states (know someone who paid $150 more for a used first gen M&P Shield than a new one costs here). And now the ammo fiasco. Of course I have no personal knowledge...but I bet if you looked in the gun safes and under the beds of about 50-75% of gun owners in the state...they are criminals or possibly felons.

It happens all over...had someone in OR ask me about a FTF without paperwork recently (at least he was inquiring as to the legal way). Had to explain that law...he had no idea.

When I was there, I was involved in the VetoGunMageddon effort. It was utterly demoralizing to see how few people would sign petitions to merely put a stay on bills and get them to the ballot - ie. no guarantee of success, but it bought some time. Out of the 355k or so required for each petition, in the *whole* state, you had around 100k or so for most of them. Sadly, in a heavily populated county (ie. multi-million) we had all of about 10 regular, reliable volunteers sitting in gun stores every hour they were open to collect signatures for ~8 weeks, if memory serves. I can personally attest to the apathy of the typical CA gun owner.

Some are not from CA originally, and don't much care what happens to it.
Some are lifelong residents and are just defeated.
Some (I suspect most) are simply not '2A first' type voters, if they vote at all. Ie. they will never risk their social status by voting in an un-woke way.

I think the ones in affluent areas see fees, taxes, red-tape as mainly inconveniences that they can put up with and keep up with their 'hobby' until it's too expensive. Because shooting in CA for a lot of people often means 'hobby' vs. seeing it as a tool you could actually defend yourselves with or would use in any other way vs. shooting at paper. Carry permits are virtually non-existent in many counties and help this notion creep into even older guys.

Editorials in virtually every newspaper there have a token veteran or a LEO that is against guns. They find that guy that says "The last time I needed a gun was in 1968 when I left Vietnam". The cycle repeats.

The below is a bit dramatic, obviously but to drive the point home... In CA and other ban states, if you still like to (and can afford to) shoot, it's become essentially this for *way* too many people:

- Take the gun out of the safe, and put it into a locked container. Yank on the gun lock 3 times for good luck to 'avoid any imperial entanglements'.

- You look outside to see who might see you carrying it to your car. You put it into your trunk and throw all kinds of inconspicuous stuff on top so if a LEO stops you they won't see (at least through the window) what it is. You go 5 miles under the speed limit all the way, sweating, to the range (no detour stops for food, etc - you filled up your tank already the night before). You turn location off on your phone (or turn it off entirely and pull the battery), since you are using only hand-written directions to the range, if necessary.

- You get to the only range within 50 miles of you and wait for the crowds of non-voting hobbyists to get done high-fiving themselves so you can get a lane. You shoot once per second since that's all they allow - no double-tap, no mozambique, no defensive training needed since you will never carry or be able to defend yourself in your home with anything except harsh language. You stay as long as you can to get your money's worth because you might not be back for 2 (or 6) months.

- You carefully pack everything back up and pull 3 times on your locked case again for good luck and hoping you don't get an under-informed LEO pulling you over.

- You (again) check to see when you pull in if anyone's watching you get your guns out of the car. You draw all the curtains before cleaning. You hope no one walking by your opened window knows what they're smelling is Hoppes #9 and instead that maybe it's just some new essential oil. Maybe best to wait until dark to clean? No - that might be *more* suspicious. You hope no one in your shared wall apartment knows what a racking slide or bolt slamming home means. You put the gun into the safe and bow before your safe queen.

- You go to work. You hope your coworker doesn't get mad that you violated their safe space by looking at them wrong with your micro-aggressions, all so as to avoid them Red-Flagging you. You say your required Progressive Mantras, per company policy. You hope you don't get doxxed for something you said 10 years ago about guns in public. It'd be the righteous and woke thing to do, after all, for activists to use company resources and capital to dox you - you had it coming and should welcome your rehabilitation.

- You go home and, as you drift off to sleep at night, you say "Thank You, Master State of California... for letting me still (sometimes) do my 'hobby', even though it's horribly dangerous. Thank you for understanding my 'vice', even though I am putting my kids at risk and my guns might jump out and kill someone. Thank you...".

Add to the range scenario: "You see groups of new residents renting pistols and muzzle sweeping the firing line as they take selfies and laugh." Yes, I saw that numerous times in CA.

When I was there, I was involved in the VetoGunMageddon effort. It was utterly demoralizing to see how few people would sign petitions to merely put a stay on bills and get them to the ballot - ie. no guarantee of success, but it bought some time. Out of the 355k or so required for each petition, in the *whole* state, you had around 100k or so for most of them. Sadly, in a heavily populated county (ie. multi-million) we had all of about 10 regular, reliable volunteers sitting in gun stores every hour they were open to collect signatures for ~8 weeks, if memory serves. I can personally attest to the apathy of the typical CA gun owner.

Some are not from CA originally, and don't much care what happens to it.
Some are lifelong residents and are just defeated.
Some (I suspect most) are simply not '2A first' type voters, if they vote at all. Ie. they will never risk their social status by voting in an un-woke way.

I think the ones in affluent areas see fees, taxes, red-tape as mainly inconveniences that they can put up with and keep up with their 'hobby' until it's too expensive. Because shooting in CA for a lot of people often means 'hobby' vs. seeing it as a tool you could actually defend yourselves with or would use in any other way vs. shooting at paper. Carry permits are virtually non-existent in many counties and help this notion creep into even older guys.

Editorials in virtually every newspaper there have a token veteran or a LEO that is against guns. They find that guy that says "The last time I needed a gun was in 1968 when I left Vietnam". The cycle repeats.

The below is a bit dramatic, obviously but to drive the point home... In CA and other ban states, if you still like to (and can afford to) shoot, it's become essentially this for *way* too many people:

- Take the gun out of the safe, and put it into a locked container. Yank on the gun lock 3 times for good luck to 'avoid any imperial entanglements'.

- You look outside to see who might see you carrying it to your car. You put it into your trunk and throw all kinds of inconspicuous stuff on top so if a LEO stops you they won't see (at least through the window) what it is. You go 5 miles under the speed limit all the way, sweating, to the range (no detour stops for food, etc - you filled up your tank already the night before). You turn location off on your phone (or turn it off entirely and pull the battery), since you are using only hand-written directions to the range, if necessary.

- You get to the only range within 50 miles of you and wait for the crowds of non-voting hobbyists to get done high-fiving themselves so you can get a lane. You shoot once per second since that's all they allow - no double-tap, no mozambique, no defensive training needed since you will never carry or be able to defend yourself in your home with anything except harsh language. You stay as long as you can to get your money's worth because you might not be back for 2 (or 6) months.

- You carefully pack everything back up and pull 3 times on your locked case again for good luck and hoping you don't get an under-informed LEO pulling you over.

- You (again) check to see when you pull in if anyone's watching you get your guns out of the car. You draw all the curtains before cleaning. You hope no one walking by your opened window knows what they're smelling is Hoppes #9 and instead that maybe it's just some new essential oil. Maybe best to wait until dark to clean? No - that might be *more* suspicious. You hope no one in your shared wall apartment knows what a racking slide or bolt slamming home means. You put the gun into the safe and bow before your safe queen.

- You go to work. You hope your coworker doesn't get mad that you violated their safe space by looking at them wrong with your micro-aggressions, all so as to avoid them Red-Flagging you. You say your required Progressive Mantras, per company policy. You hope you don't get doxxed for something you said 10 years ago about guns in public. It'd be the righteous and woke thing to do, after all, for activists to use company resources and capital to dox you - you had it coming and should welcome your rehabilitation.

- You go home and, as you drift off to sleep at night, you say "Thank You, Master State of California... for letting me still (sometimes) do my 'hobby', even though it's horribly dangerous. Thank you for understanding my 'vice', even though I am putting my kids at risk and my guns might jump out and kill someone. Thank you...".

I belong to a local in-town club here. Johnson Creek GC. Indoor, ten lanes. Kind of noisy/ a bit smokey if it's crowded. I was there just after turkey day and talked with a couple of guys. One of them was up here from kali. I commented to him about bringing his handgun up here on the plane and hassle I believe it is. He said last time he shot his gun was three years ago, the last time he was up here and at this range. Your 50 miles might be to low for what folks have to drive there. He also said it costs a lot.

Maybe this Virginia thing will morph into something in our favor.

Read an interesting comment in an article about the Calif ammo situation:

Make friends with a trucker the underground supply chain is already in place. Place your online bulk order ship it to your trucker friend/family out of Ca address then meet at the agreed upon coordinates.

All they have done is to create a huge black market for ammo.

I'm not turning off my damned ad blocker to view the article.
Basically the article said that since the quick check for ammunition purchase started in July 2018, 340,000 plus checks had been made. About 60,000 were rejected, denied, etc. Of those, only 101 were actually persons prohibited from possessing
ammunition and/or firearms. Calif AG claimed that probably 101 lives were saves.

Article did not state how many investigations were opened on the 101, how many were forwarded to district attorneys for prosecution and how many were actually prosecuted.

This madness might be coming to a theater near us. Stack it deep while it's cheap.

The Wash. governor and AG want this for the legislature in the 2020 session that's just around the corner.

Given the current political climate, it's not an "if" but a "when and how." Comments from the proponents have indicated the effective date of such legislation wouldn't be until they've got the BG checks for handguns figured out. That could be sooner or later. However, since the "new" BG checks will bring with them a new fee, the date might be sooner.

Here's hoping that we in CA get a preliminary injunction to the ammo law in late January that might give your "assault-politicians" pause in instituting the same. If followed up by a judicial slap down, so much the better.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top