JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys. So I have a Remington 700 VTR almost in my grasp, as well as a nice piece of glass and some quality ammo. Now, what I`m thinking is "How well would this serve me for a Crisis gun?" So I figured I`d ask the pros. Ranges out in my neck of the woods aren`t long, usually around 650-700 Meters, so Incredibly high-quality optics aren`t much of a concern. In such a situation I intend to bug out, but to stay in familiar territory with a Close group of friends. Anyways, what does the Northwestfirearms community have to say about Bolt guns in general and the 700 VTR in particular as a general use weapon? I intend to put some aftermarket stuff on, probably a new stock and a detachable mag system.

Forgot to mention that I`d post this thread, and go to sleep to see what comes up in the morning. See you in a bit, guys. yes.jpg

yes.jpg

i would say i could do just as well with my savage 110e in 30-06. buying an expensive new gun really inst going to give you anything more than a minute difference in effectiveness. its all about reliability and your ammo stock and the ammo stock really doesnt have to be thousands like many people think. the likelihood a long range gun is going to be useful for more than some range fun and hunting is all but nil. now if you were talking about a new semi-auto carbine or rifle to protect your home in a crisis situation, that would be a different story.

something that kind of bugs me about many other "preppers", is when they think they need to stock weapons and ammo for bugging out. its highly unlikely you will need to be armed to the teeth and leave your immediate area and if it were, there would be plenty of weapons all over. having some simple close to mid range weapons will take you a long way.

if you want your new rifle, go for it; i just dont like people talking about their new "battle rifle". it gives gun owners bad press when a guy/gal takes that mentality seriously. the SHTF situations we see in this country are storms, floods and earth quakes, not ethnic cleansing.

Also, I already have the VTR in my Grasp, It`s more than likely to happen. I already have a couple of Carbines, that`s no problem.

My Savages sound a bit clunky when I cycle the bolt but my Savage 112 (LH) w/ detachable mag cost about $440 when the same type Rem 700 cost $800 and it will shoot sub MOA (.75 MOA @250 yds).
If that Rem VTR is what you want, then buy it; as long as it's not a Mouse gun and can be used for deer/elk in a pinch.
PS if the glass is Chinese then do not buy the scope!

I take it that you are saying that 700m is not a difficult shot for you and you don't really need a rifle and scope of this quality to make it. Do you like the rig? Does it fit you? Do you want to change the stock to be cool at the range (and thats a valid desire)? One thing about high quality scopes is their strength and ability to hold zero surpasses lesser glass. I would not change stocks on an already nice rifle. You can buy a barreled action and stock it exactly as you want it.

I love the setup, It fits well, the only problem is that the stock is a bit short for me. I could install a recoil pad, but after trying that out by putting a piece of plywood between the butt and my shoulder, it ended up throwing off the Ergonomics considerably. That`s why I want to et a new stock set. Of course I would want Quality glass, I intend to use it as a long-range Deer gun in an SHTF situation, that`s hwy I posted this thread here. Also, Ranges where I live are too short for a genuine Long range rifle, like a .50 or a .338, but too far for Carbines. that`s why I`m going for one in .308.

I personally prefer the Remington over the Savage. The cost is hard to beat the Savage.

While I like the idea of the Remington 700 VTR, the barrel has always been a turn off for me. You can't put any custom muzzle break on it, or a suppressor. Well, maybe you can but talk about serious custom work.

I've always preferred the Remington 700 SPS line. But it ends up being personal choice in the end.

I personally prefer the Remington over the Savage. The cost is hard to beat the Savage.

While I like the idea of the Remington 700 VTR, the barrel has always been a turn off for me. You can't put any custom muzzle break on it, or a suppressor. Well, maybe you can but talk about serious custom work.

I've always preferred the Remington 700 SPS line. But it ends up being personal choice in the end.
You bring up a good point, but I very much like the built in muzzle break.

I know, I was able to handle one for a while. I like most of the ergonomics, I pinpointed what`s wrong with it for me earlier.

I just bought a Remington 700 VTR in .308.
Took it to the range once and taking it big game hunting this year. I've always like these and i got a great price from a friend.
I like the gun stock and for a hunting ricle i'm not trying to change anything.

But if your looking at havi g a more versitile rifle the VTT probably isn't it.
Maybe a Ruger scout?
I' not big on upgrades, customizing, etc. no matter what your plans are you just keeping bleeding money. Never good enough.

If i didn't get the Remington, I would have picked up a Ruger scout.

I'm biased. My daughter's name is Remington.

I completely agree. This is the United states, not Somalia or Uganda.

Have you been to Detroit?

Anyhow, I love my VTR. Muzzle break works well, shots very well with factory ammo, and unreal with handloads. I put the Badger bottom metal on mine and picked up a few 10 rounds mags just to have!
Ive been going to bed it but when it shoots 1/2 groups at 100yards...why bother.

Remington makes mag kits? Where could I find those?

Go to Brownell's and check the prices (they ain't Rem mfg)
The reason a detach mag is a "Must Have" is the low single piece scope bases,,mounted so low that loading from the top becomes a ROYAL PITA, which may become a minor hiccup when the targets start shooting back

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top