JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
AIWB folks need their heads examined IMO. AIWB requires that you point your gun - presumably loaded - at your groin or femoral artery for hours at a time. Plainly violating a fundamental rule: DON'T POINT YOUR GUN AT ANYTHING YOU'RE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY. I also cannot take seriously ANY tacticool "instructor" who violates this fundamental principle. You simply do not point loaded guns at yourself or others.

There's no asterisk "unless it's comfortable," or "I'm a professional so it's okay."

No, it's never okay to point - particularly a LOADED FIREARM - at yourself or anyone.

I IWB at 3:30 or 4 o'clock. The gun never ever ever points at myself. If there is somehow a mechanical failure or error such as this, the bullet will harmlessly miss me and since I'm rarely on 2nd floor buildings with people below, it will be a harmless event.

This man died. Twice. The heroes are the emergency responders who saved him. Had he been carrying IWB the bullet would have entirely missed him and it would have been a non-event. This man needs to seriously rethink things.

AIWB folks need their heads examined IMO. AIWB requires that you point your gun - presumably loaded - at your groin or femoral artery for hours at a time. Plainly violating a fundamental rule: DON'T POINT YOUR GUN AT ANYTHING YOU'RE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY. I also cannot take seriously ANY tacticool "instructor" who violates this fundamental principle. You simply do not point loaded guns at yourself or others.

There's no asterisk "unless it's comfortable," or "I'm a professional so it's okay."

No, it's never okay to point - particularly a LOADED FIREARM - at yourself or anyone.

I IWB at 3:30 or 4 o'clock. The gun never ever ever points at myself. If there is somehow a mechanical failure or error such as this, the bullet will harmlessly miss me and since I'm rarely on 2nd floor buildings with people below, it will be a harmless event.

This man died. Twice. The heroes are the emergency responders who saved him. Had he been carrying IWB the bullet would have entirely missed him and it would have been a non-event. This man needs to seriously rethink things.

4 O'Clock IWB NEVER flags the body? LOL that's rich. Come on man, stop with all this "expert" advice. It's ok to disagree, but your "adamant" posts that you are right and everyone else is wrong just makes people ignore you.

Wait, haven't we been down this exact path with this exact poster before? How you're always flagging yourself, etc, etc?

IMO, it's a pretty good example of negligence.
1. Didn't clear garment
2. Didn't insert firearm in holster before putting both in waistband (believe it or not, this is something that can prevent garment snags, yes I know it's not common practice)

I didn't carry AIWB for years. I alternate now. Biggest rule is one we all follow when we carry, don't touch it if you don't need to. It does carry a higher risk if an ND, or less likely, a mechanical failure occurs.
If you do have to reholster, the safest way is to remove the holster, insert firearm, and insert the pair back in the waistband.
Follow that rule and reholster safely, and you're less likely to be injured by your own gun than to be injured by your car malfunctioning.

1.) Never be fast to reholster

2.) Clear garment with second hand before reholstering

3.) LOOK at the damn holster when holstering. If the gun is going back in the holster as a civie, the threat is gone. No reason NOT to look

4.) Ease the gun in. It's not a race.

AIWB is as safe as any carry method. Even OWB, strong side carry causes you to flag yourself. You can send a round into your leg, into your side, or into your bubblegum real easy. Tex Grebner didn't get famous for an AIWB accident, he shot himself with a strong side OWB rig that rode away from his body.

Guns are inherently dangerous tools. Its not the gun, the holster, or your clothing - its the person holding the gun that makes it safer or more dangerous.

I know with every strong side, OWB holster I own, my bubblegum cheeks and outer thigh get flagged by the muzzle. When I carried a retention holster on a duty belt, the gun would flag my butt and thigh as well, and that was with the gun sitting a couple inches off my body. Every IWB rig I've had also flags - you cannot help but flag yourself with any IWB rig.

Carelessness causes injury, period.

The one caveat I add - IF you carry AIWB, the argument can be made that a hammer fired, double action pistol is THE ideal gun for AWIB because you can put your thumb on the back of the hammer, and coupled with a heavier DA trigger - you will feel a dangerous situation develop and have more reaction time than a light striker fired trigger provides. But if you look at the holster as you insert the gun, and you make sure to clear the garment with your other hand, or even sweeping the garment back with your thumb first - you won't shoot yourself.

4 O'Clock IWB NEVER flags the body? LOL that's rich. Come on man, stop with all this "expert" advice. It's ok to disagree, but your "adamant" posts that you are right and everyone else is wrong just makes people ignore you.

Carry at 4/430 and can confirm, the glutes get flagged.

Still not a reason to skip leg day.

3.) LOOK at the damn holster when holstering. If the gun is going back in the holster as a civie, the threat is gone. No reason NOT to look

I disagree, looking (or trying to look as the case may be) at the holster forces one to lean or bend forward, bringing the muzzle end of the holster/weapon toward the body. I personally stand erect and even lean back slightly. I 100% eliminate flagging myself while the weapon is in my hand as it is angled outward. Furthermore, if I look down and all I see are my pecs or gut. In lieu of a visual I'll index the holster opening with my thumb and then slowly and gently insert the weapon into the holster.

If you have garments with draw strings, remove them or don't carry this way while wearing said garment.

Last Edited:
Ever kneel, bend, crouch, reach for something or be a "human" in general?

4 O'Clock IWB flags the body, either yours or others around you while doing things that humans do.

If AIWB ain't for you, fine. But don't be all preachy or think you never possibly flag with your precious 4 O'Clock position.

:rolleyes:

Ever kneel, bend, crouch, reach for something or be a "human" in general?

4 O'Clock IWB flags the body, either yours or others around you while doing things that humans do.

If AIWB ain't for you, fine. But don't be all preachy or think you never possibly flag with your precious 4 O'Clock position.

:rolleyes:

There a great video someone did that had a guy drawing from both positions using a laser, it was very telling how much flagging occurs with strong side draw. Even up to the lower gut. I wish I could find it but I've tried several time and haven't been able to locate it.

If I'm wearing my chest rig with my Glock in it while picking up brass at the range, the damn thing points right at my thigh.

I either unholster or take the round out of the chamber.
It's whatever you're comfortable with.

If I'm wearing my chest rig with my Glock in it while picking up brass at the range, the damn thing points right at my thigh.

I either unholster or take the round out of the chamber.
It's whatever you're comfortable with.

If your chest rig is of good quality, you'll be fine. The gun isn't going to just go off by itself.

But like you said, whatever you're comfortable with.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews