JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If your chest rig is of good quality, you'll be fine. The gun isn't going to just go off by itself.

But like you said, whatever you're comfortable with.
I carry IWB, Fanny Pack, Shoulder Holster, and OWB. Every one of these has pistols pointed at things I do not want to shoot. I live in a 2 story home. If gun is pointed up and I am down, down if I am up, I am pointing at others above or bellow. To the side it's aimed at walls that will most likely not stop the round. When out in public? This arguing a certain method violated the never point at anything you don't want to shoot is people who will argue just to argue. They have to know full well that carry is NOT what that rule is about. If they really believed what they were saying they would never load any gun until they were at the range.

If you really beleive that you should NEVER carry a gun. No matter how you carry there are times it's point somewhere you do not want to send a round. Unless you are never around others maybe.

How do I join this "others" group?

Thinking about hurriedly reholstering or tucking an unholstered pistol in your waistband?

warning....graphic!....

Don't carry.

Thinking about hurriedly reholstering or tucking an unholstered pistol in your waistband?

warning....graphic!....

Don't carry.
Yup.

We are the good guys... We are quick to draw the gun...

Bad guys have to be quick to tuck it away as they flee the scene.

I can see zero reason why any of us would need to reholster so quickly as to be reckless about it

I don't pretend to know much about concealed carry and I don't do it all that often. But I do have holsters. Thinking about the AIWB thing makes my nuts shrink up just a little; besides, having anything resting right down there in my groin just isn't comfortable. I used to have a nice suede leather IWB holster for a S&W Mod. 36, worn at 3 - 3.30. But I can't really do that anymore. The pressure on my right bursa is uncomfortable. So when I've carried lately, it was with an OWB holster with a jacket or coat over. One holster I like is a (RH) cross draw single action, points down to the rear on left side at about a 45 degree angle. It nestles about 2 O'clock on the left side, and carries fairly comfortably. It you don't mind the weight of the revolver. Also have a cross draw for 1911's that points down and back. Colt Commander in .38 Super isn't quite as heavy as a single action. Any time I wear these, I use belt with suspenders.

I've found that cross draw for me is easier than strong side, bending my elbow to reach back on same side. And, if you're wearing a strong side holster that cants the piece butt forward, more arm and wrist twisting is required. Reaching across me seems more natural. To each his own.

Physique has a lot to do with the print thing. When you get older, baggy clothes, baggy body, plus people tend to discount you as a threat.

Frankly, I'm shocked that no one is advocating the 'Urban Carry' holster. All the advantages of AIWB, without the danger of shooting something off. "Like the footsteps of a Navy Seal..."

Not really...

Frankly, I'm shocked that no one is advocating the 'Urban Carry' holster. All the advantages of AIWB, without the danger of shooting something off. "Like the footsteps of a Navy Seal..."

Not really...

LOL absolutely! :s0140:

It didn't involve a holster, but my negligent discharge a year ago that put a 9mm Underwood round straight through two large bones in my ankle makes me never, ever, ever want to be shot again. That goes like a million fold when the entry site is anywhere near my favorite parts or critical sites such as my femoral artery. I prized myself on the safe firearms handling that saw me through from age 10 to 65. It only takes an instant of neglect to end that streak. I can't see any benefit at all of pointing a gun, safely secured or not, in a direction where major and even fatal consequences will result if you have a moment of stupidity like I did. 3 to 5 o'clock carry ensures that if you make a mistake, you'll probably at worst carve a nice channel along your thigh or your butt. YMMV, but I just don't see the need for AIWB.

Last Edited:
...until you notice that your new holster deactivates your manual safety and the retention strap puts pressure on your grip safety. (I had a learning experience, not a tragedy.)

Yikes! I favor holsters of my own creation partly because of this - when I mold a holster for a gun that has a manual safety, I mold it in such a way that the holster will engage the manual safety if I forgot, or if it was not fully applied, and the rigidity of kydex generally means that such a molding won't allow for the safety to be deactivated in the holster.

For guns like 1911s, if I carry in a leather holster or one with a retention strap or hood, I'll only use a holster that places the thumb break strap between the hammer and the slide, not over the hammer. It gives one teensy weensy bit of added safety, I think, because IF all else fails and that hammer drops, its dropping on 1/8th of an inch of stiff leather, not the firing pin.

Another reason I've drifted away from leather holsters in favor of kydex all around - kydex stays rigid. Leather softens with age and exposure to chemicals that I often come in contact with - I don't want any chance that the holster is going to flex in and push against the trigger, or loose retention and let the gun move into a position I don't like. Through trial and error (thankfully not error causing a discharge) I've come to require certain key elements in a holster - any holster. Rigidity, fully covered trigger guard, specific retention points and pressure, large, rounded sweat guards if there is a sweat guard at all - nothing that can enter the trigger guard by accident, nothing that can snag on the gun or trigger, and nothing that will collapse when I draw the gun. I love the look and smell and feel of a leather holster, but they don't meet the criteria, by and large, that kydex does. There are a few holsters I still like in leather - like the Galco FLETCH. That's an OWB pancake holster though. I can't think of an IWB leather holster at this point that I'd care to carry.

Can't speak to the "where to carry" discussion, but I'd be happy to start 100 percent using whatever wonderful ammo went through that leg and opened it up like a Thanksgiving Turkey being carved.

It didn't involve a holster, but my negligent discharge a year ago that put a 9mm Underwood round straight through two large bones in my ankle makes me never, ever, ever want to be shot again. That goes like a million fold when the entry site is anywhere near my favorite parts or critical sites such as my femoral artery. I prized myself on the safe firearms handling that saw me through from age 10 to 65. It only takes an instant of neglect to end that streak. I can't see any benefit at all of pointing a gun, safely secured or not, in a direction where major and even fatal consequences will result if you have a moment of stupidity like I did. 3 to 5 o'clock carry ensures that if you make a mistake, you'll probably at worst carve a nice channel along your thigh or your butt. YMMV, but I just don't see the need for AIWB.

Bingo, and thank you for speaking up. As you said it's not like there's not better options available... and a mistake in that region can and likely will be life changing for the worse.

Yep, it's an unforgiving world out there. Meanwhile, millions of people will choose to drive drunk in this country tonight.

If only we could pass a law to keep that from happening!

Or if too many sober people are being killed by drunk drivers, maybe we should ban driving sober, after all that is basically what gun control tries to do.

If only we could pass a law to keep that from happening!

Or if too many sober people are being killed by drunk drivers, maybe we should ban driving sober, after all that is basically what gun control tries to do.
Just putting it in context for the chicken littles of the world.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top