JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Guns are like shoes. At least for some people.

http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2015/01/03/theres-a-gun-in-my-house/?singlepage=true

There's a Gun in My House
And I'm strangely OK with it.

PAULA BOLYARD

"The decision process became a little more complicated after that initial decision to purchase a gun for home protection. Figuring out which gun was right for us (out of the gazillions of choices) was even more difficult than finding the exact, right, blingy, perfect shoes to wear to my son's wedding. Both are life-altering decisions and you want to choose wisely (the difference being that the wrong wedding shoe choice won't result in a chalk outline of a body at the end of the day). It's not a decision we took lightly."

"It's a beauty — easy to slide and it feels great in my hands. It's well-balanced and although we plan to keep this one at the house, it's small enough to be used as a concealed carry gun. And this is the end of my review of the LC9s"

Read the woman's whole article.

I'm struggling to lambast her, and people who want to insult or mock new gun owners like her only do a disservice to the gun owning community as a whole.

She's a woman who believed the lie that the world is safe, the police are always close by and able to stop bad guys, and guns are only evil. Something happened to change her viewpoint, and now she's going through the long process of getting comfortable with firearms, both philosophically and physically.

Not all of us grew up around firearms (I didn't, particularly). It's easy to forget how damn intimidating the Gun Culture can be to outsiders, so cut her a break.

My wife could have written the same article, almost word for word...well, except that my wife's husband is a confirmed gun addict. She decided that I was correct in getting her to shoot a lot and get her concealed pistol license. She is now, after about a year, a confirmed hand gunner. She is very safety oriented and I'm the one who encouraged that, being a one time Army Drill Sergeant.

The author sounds like she's taking a common sense approach to defending her family and property from those who would harm either.

Hmmm, after being a non-gunner, she went out and got one. She is learning about it slowly and carefully so she can defend herself and her family. It sounds to me that she is learning that gun control is about being safe and hitting what you shoot at. If your reading something else into it or I'm misreading your post we have a communication problem.

An awesome story and one that seems the sleeper has awakened. If only each of us could encourage just one non gun owner to get involved with taking their families safety into their own hands.
I know some people are out there silently waiting for the proper direction.
Let's show em the way.:)

Last Edited:
@Ron Eagle Elk @Sgt Nambu

Not sure if your comments above (#6, #7) were directed at me (OP)

How many of us wanted or want a gun because it is pretty? 100%, probably. I'd like to own a Walther PPK - James Bond's gun. Thanks to the 1968 laws that is not so easy. A Colt Python, u betcha'

Our neighbors who are new to firearms, especially those who deciding to carry because of certain events - didn't the gun stores in MO all sell out following last summers unpleasantness? May be buying based upon the fit & look, while forgetting the other parts ie legal.
How many had a CB radio back in the day - did you have your mandatory federal license for that?
Anyone changed an antenna on a computer wireless router? Easy to do - not legal, for the average Joe.

How wearing the "not quite right" shoes is a life altering decision, I'll never know. I can assure you that the Brides -maids at my wedding were not matching, nor were the Groomsmen. Anyone else who was at my wedding know that? I doubt it.

Choosing to bring a firearm into your life, especially if you may carry, that is "life altering."

My point, our neighbors decision making is not the same as ours, and maybe based in fear, or beauty.

If you read the whole article - I give big Kudo's to her "gun friend" who let her try out a large number of firearms before committing to a purchase:
"We started our search at the home of a friend who lives nearby. He has a nice stockpile of guns and a small range set up behind his house. This was my first foray into gun culture. We tried out a variety of long guns, revolvers, and semi-automatic handguns. I decided that day that I wanted a handgun and was leaning toward a .45 semi-automatic because I liked the way it fired and felt in my hands. My only concern was with how hard it was to rack the slide (for anyone else who's new at this, that's gun talk for "I can't move that slider thingy on the top that makes the gun ready to shoot")."
- BZ

As to the 2nd part - the Gun Review. That was fantastic. I have watched hours of gun reviews - Yankee, Nut-N-Fancy, Hickock, etc. I'll bet you have too. As much as they are Internet Gun Experts, I am an Internet Gun Expert Critic.

I have many pairs of shoes, because each does the job at hand in a slightly different way. I also have several guns for a very similar reason. I reserve the right to laugh at an individuals choice in footwear, but I will never argue that they shouldn't have the right to choose them. One more family has chosen to no longer be afraid of something they do not understand, and that is a good thing.

http://thegazette.com/subject/opinion/blogs/lynda-waddington/why-your-gun-makes-me-nervous-20150110
Why your gun makes me nervous

Nervous? She seems paranoid.
" seen the bulge in his jacket, and it's clear from the size and shape that he has a holstered gun."

So, she has seen a "bulge" not a "gun" and concludes to leave a store.

May she never call 9-1-1 to report a man with a gun on someone who uses an insulin pump, artificial heart or brain simulator (for seizures) because controls etc can show as a bulge.

Our weird neighbors.

Last Edited:
http://thegazette.com/subject/opinion/blogs/lynda-waddington/why-your-gun-makes-me-nervous-20150110

" seen the bulge in his jacket, and it's clear from the size and shape that he has a holstered gun."

May she never call 9-1-1 to report a man with a gun on someone who uses an insulin pump, artificial heart or brain simulator (for seizures) because controls etc can show as a bulge.

Our weird neighbors.

As a person with an insulin pump, I can say it's had more looks/reactions than my CCP. If anything, it distracts them from the other bulge. Heck, as far as I know, no one has ever noticed the CCP, at least if they have, they've never said anything. So far no one has called the cops on my electronic drug delivery device ;)

Our weird neighbors.

Some people have too much time and imagination on they're hands! Oh, and paranoia too!

I like this lady!

I have always wondered when and if I would be the gun owner that I am if I wasn't raised by a Army drill sergeant, hunter, sharp shooter-gun nut.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top