Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

These are our neighbors

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by RicInOR, Jan 5, 2015.

1. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Guns are like shoes. At least for some people.

http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2015/01/03/theres-a-gun-in-my-house/?singlepage=true

There’s a Gun in My House
    And I'm strangely OK with it.

PAULA BOLYARD

"The decision process became a little more complicated after that initial decision to purchase a gun for home protection. Figuring out which gun was right for us (out of the gazillions of choices) was even more difficult than finding the exact, right, blingy, perfect shoes to wear to my son’s wedding. Both are life-altering decisions and you want to choose wisely (the difference being that the wrong wedding shoe choice won’t result in a chalk outline of a body at the end of the day). It’s not a decision we took lightly."

"It’s a beauty — easy to slide and it feels great in my hands. It’s well-balanced and although we plan to keep this one at the house, it’s small enough to be used as a concealed carry gun. And this is the end of my review of the LC9s"

2. Will_Power

Will_Power OR via OK Active Member

Read the woman's whole article.

I'm struggling to lambast her, and people who want to insult or mock new gun owners like her only do a disservice to the gun owning community as a whole.

She's a woman who believed the lie that the world is safe, the police are always close by and able to stop bad guys, and guns are only evil. Something happened to change her viewpoint, and now she's going through the long process of getting comfortable with firearms, both philosophically and physically.

Not all of us grew up around firearms (I didn't, particularly). It's easy to forget how damn intimidating the Gun Culture can be to outsiders, so cut her a break.

Glock Jock, Riot, jim97701 and 11 others like this.
  3. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

"the moment my support for the 2nd amendment went from abstract to concrete!"

Works fine for me!

Glock Jock, Riot, jim97701 and 7 others like this.
  4. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Outside Ft Lewis East Gate Active Member

My wife could have written the same article, almost word for word...well, except that my wife's husband is a confirmed gun addict. She decided that I was correct in getting her to shoot a lot and get her concealed pistol license. She is now, after about a year, a confirmed hand gunner. She is very safety oriented and I'm the one who encouraged that, being a one time Army Drill Sergeant.

The author sounds like she's taking a common sense approach to defending her family and property from those who would harm either.

5. DeanfromOregon

DeanfromOregon Wilsonville Amateur Ascended Master Platinum Supporter

So......... common sense gun control then?:)

6. Ron Eagle Elk

Hmmm, after being a non-gunner, she went out and got one. She is learning about it slowly and carefully so she can defend herself and her family. It sounds to me that she is learning that gun control is about being safe and hitting what you shoot at. If your reading something else into it or I'm misreading your post we have a communication problem.

Glock Jock and Caveman Jim like this.
  7. Sgt Nambu

^^^^Im also puzzled!

U201491 likes this.
  8. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

:)

I'm all for that. Common sense dictates that we repeal those laws that are not proven to be effective. We can do just a few at a time if that makes it easier on the hoplophobes.

Glock Jock, Slobray and Caveman Jim like this.
  9. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

At the very least her eyes are open enough to realize the need for such a tool.

Its a start.

Slobray and Caveman Jim like this.
  10. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

An awesome story and one that seems the sleeper has awakened. If only each of us could encourage just one non gun owner to get involved with taking their families safety into their own hands.
    I know some people are out there silently waiting for the proper direction.
    Let's show em the way.:)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  11. RicInOR

@Ron Eagle Elk @Sgt Nambu

Not sure if your comments above (#6, #7) were directed at me (OP)

How many of us wanted or want a gun because it is pretty? 100%, probably. I'd like to own a Walther PPK - James Bond's gun. Thanks to the 1968 laws that is not so easy. A Colt Python, u betcha'

Our neighbors who are new to firearms, especially those who deciding to carry because of certain events - didn't the gun stores in MO all sell out following last summers unpleasantness? May be buying based upon the fit & look, while forgetting the other parts ie legal.
    How many had a CB radio back in the day - did you have your mandatory federal license for that?
    Anyone changed an antenna on a computer wireless router? Easy to do - not legal, for the average Joe.

How wearing the "not quite right" shoes is a life altering decision, I'll never know. I can assure you that the Brides -maids at my wedding were not matching, nor were the Groomsmen. Anyone else who was at my wedding know that? I doubt it.

Choosing to bring a firearm into your life, especially if you may carry, that is "life altering."

My point, our neighbors decision making is not the same as ours, and maybe based in fear, or beauty.

If you read the whole article - I give big Kudo's to her "gun friend" who let her try out a large number of firearms before committing to a purchase:
    - BZ

As to the 2nd part - the Gun Review. That was fantastic. I have watched hours of gun reviews - Yankee, Nut-N-Fancy, Hickock, etc. I'll bet you have too. As much as they are Internet Gun Experts, I am an Internet Gun Expert Critic.

12. Sgt Nambu

No....was puzzled by #5.

Glock Jock, Ron Eagle Elk and U201491 like this.
  13. Landcruiser

Landcruiser Gresham Active Member

I have many pairs of shoes, because each does the job at hand in a slightly different way. I also have several guns for a very similar reason. I reserve the right to laugh at an individuals choice in footwear, but I will never argue that they shouldn't have the right to choose them. One more family has chosen to no longer be afraid of something they do not understand, and that is a good thing.

14. Ron Eagle Elk

Same as Sgt Nambu.

15. DeanfromOregon

DeanfromOregon Wilsonville Amateur Ascended Master Platinum Supporter

#5 was firmly tongue in cheek!

16. RicInOR

http://thegazette.com/subject/opinion/blogs/lynda-waddington/why-your-gun-makes-me-nervous-20150110
    Why your gun makes me nervous

Nervous? She seems paranoid.
    " seen the bulge in his jacket, and it’s clear from the size and shape that he has a holstered gun."

So, she has seen a "bulge" not a "gun" and concludes to leave a store.

May she never call 9-1-1 to report a man with a gun on someone who uses an insulin pump, artificial heart or brain simulator (for seizures) because controls etc can show as a bulge.

Our weird neighbors.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  17. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

As a person with an insulin pump, I can say it's had more looks/reactions than my CCP. If anything, it distracts them from the other bulge. Heck, as far as I know, no one has ever noticed the CCP, at least if they have, they've never said anything. So far no one has called the cops on my electronic drug delivery device ;)

RicInOR and Caveman Jim like this.
  18. Kid@Heart

Kid@Heart Vancouver, USA Cynic Lifetime Supporter Diamond Supporter

19. Sgt Nambu

Some people have too much time and imagination on they're hands! Oh, and paranoia too!

Caveman Jim and U201491 like this.
  20. Glock Jock

Glock Jock Wilsonville , OR Well-Known Member

I like this lady!

I have always wondered when and if I would be the gun owner that I am if I wasn't raised by a Army drill sergeant, hunter, sharp shooter-gun nut.

Caveman Jim likes this.