JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My 44th Edition of the Lyman Reloading Handbook shows a lot of reduced loads for a variety of calibers.

What Cals do you want the data for and I'll PM it to you.
Trying for 9mm this weekend. I only have 124gr plated and 125gr cast to play with. I only have N340 and Bullseye powders. Looking for quietest load possible. If I didn't need muffs that would be ideal.

Trying for 9mm this weekend.
Unfortunately 9mm doesn't really offer much in the way of 'reduced' loads as it is a caliber where the deviation between low and high is only separated by a few grains of powder.

About the lowest you would want to go is probably 3 grains of Bullseye and hope it still cycles the action.

Reduced loads are typically accomplished with rounds that have large case capacities and in non-semi-auto guns.

Unfortunately 9mm doesn't really offer much in the way of 'reduced' loads as it is a caliber where the deviation between low and high is only separated by a few grains of powder.

About the lowest you would want to go is probably 3 grains of Bullseye and hope it still cycles the action.

Reduced loads are typically accomplished with rounds that have large case capacities and in non-semi-auto guns.
Thanks for the tips. I am planning on having to load one at a time. I forgot my scale so unless the neighbor has one that measures grains I will be stuck with Lee .5cc dipper for loads.

Maybe a patched 00 buckshot .330 dia might work. I brought one 00 shell to dissect. 5lbs of 00 is $35 at Cabelas.
I'd be inclined to think there's a good chance this would work for a 32 Special.
My 44th Edition of the Lyman Reloading Handbook shows a lot of reduced loads for a variety of calibers.

What Cals do you want the data for and I'll PM it to you.
I have 45th and 46th. Both have a lot of light loads for cast bullets and some pretty soft ones with 110 jacketed or semi-jacketed for the 30-30. Lyman manuals have always impressed me with the amount of information they contain.

Can anybody here confirm that .5cc of Bullseye is 4.7 grains of powder. Thanks in advance.
I don't think 4.7 gr of Bullseye is going to be quiet!
I get your experiment, but it is not going to be much fun from an auto loader. I doubt you will get a regular bullet to clear the barrel with primer only.
I have made a lot of light loads for revolvers. to make sure the bullet clears the barrel I want to make the load deliver at least 500 fps. With that little pressure it makes a mess of your gun. there is not enough pressure to expand the case and seal the chamber. So you will get a lot of soot back into the action. In a revolver that is not so hard to clean out, but a semi....
What you might look at would be a 90 gr bullet [ from a .380]over a light load of Trail Boss. TB does not meter well so you will have to find a measure that drops 1/2 to 3/4 case in a 9mm case. try a 380 or 32 auto case as a measure. That should be pretty quiet and almost no recoil.
When I needed to learn to shoot with my off hand[ right arm was in a sling] I made a load of the lee 105 gr 380 bullet over .5 cc of TB. in a 38 spl case. These gave me around 500 fps from a 2" snubby. And these should reliably clear the barrel of a 4" 9mm. Just remember if you dont see where the bullet hit the target , Check the barrel! Good Luck, DR

The classifieds have many great ones.
I say get an RCBS 10-10 or 5-10 for exact measures without worry of electronic or battery failure
AND
a simple electronic one for quick checks.
The beam type take a moment but are very precice.

Joe

Can anybody here confirm that .5cc of Bullseye is 4.7 grains of powder. Thanks in advance.
I haven't pulled out a 1cc syringe to measure 4.7gr of bullseye, but that charge should be more than enough to cycle a 9mm. My 9mm practice loads often times have less than that for a 115gr bullet.

I've used 3.7gr of bullseye regularly in a 9mm that is well worn in.

I think I've got a load using 3.0gr of CFE pistol powder using a 165gr plated bullet.

I loaded up an CCI SRM primer #450 in a 9mm empty case no bullet and fired it off in my PT92. It went off easily and created a pretty good fireball. There was no muzzle flip at all.

As for the 9mm Lee Loader kit it needs a flaring tool or beveled bullets in my opinion. I am going to use a plated bullet installed in the case upside down to bell the case mouth a tad. Then hammer that bullet out with primer removal rod. I did one sample like that last night and it helped a lot but it will make for slowwwww loading. I have a few hours of hiking and brush whacking ahead of me this morning. Neighbor lady is coming over this afternoon for gorilla reloading lesson and pizza.

I loaded up an CCI SRM primer #450 in a 9mm empty case no bullet and fired it off in my PT92. It went off easily and created a pretty good fireball. There was no muzzle flip at all.

As for the 9mm Lee Loader kit it needs a flaring tool or beveled bullets in my opinion. I am going to use a plated bullet installed in the case upside down to bell the case mouth a tad. Then hammer that bullet out with primer removal rod. I did one sample like that last night and it helped a lot but it will make for slowwwww loading. I have a few hours of hiking and brush whacking ahead of me this morning. Neighbor lady is coming over this afternoon for gorilla reloading lesson and pizza.
I started out loading 9mm with a Lee Loader.. it should've come with a flare/de-flare tool.

If you are going to load more than a handful, that Lee Loader will get old quick! But Lee makes a hand press that uses standard dies. I can't say its fast, but it does everything a bench mounted press will do! I used to travel a lot for work, and tried one for loading in motels at night. For myself I changed to a single stage press mounted to a small square of plywood that I could clamp to any table or counter top worked much better! DR

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top