JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My 44th Edition of the Lyman Reloading Handbook shows a lot of reduced loads for a variety of calibers.

What Cals do you want the data for and I'll PM it to you.
Trying for 9mm this weekend. I only have 124gr plated and 125gr cast to play with. I only have N340 and Bullseye powders. Looking for quietest load possible. If I didn't need muffs that would be ideal.

Trying for 9mm this weekend.
Unfortunately 9mm doesn't really offer much in the way of 'reduced' loads as it is a caliber where the deviation between low and high is only separated by a few grains of powder.

About the lowest you would want to go is probably 3 grains of Bullseye and hope it still cycles the action.

Reduced loads are typically accomplished with rounds that have large case capacities and in non-semi-auto guns.

Unfortunately 9mm doesn't really offer much in the way of 'reduced' loads as it is a caliber where the deviation between low and high is only separated by a few grains of powder.

About the lowest you would want to go is probably 3 grains of Bullseye and hope it still cycles the action.

Reduced loads are typically accomplished with rounds that have large case capacities and in non-semi-auto guns.
Thanks for the tips. I am planning on having to load one at a time. I forgot my scale so unless the neighbor has one that measures grains I will be stuck with Lee .5cc dipper for loads.

Maybe a patched 00 buckshot .330 dia might work. I brought one 00 shell to dissect. 5lbs of 00 is $35 at Cabelas.
I'd be inclined to think there's a good chance this would work for a 32 Special.
My 44th Edition of the Lyman Reloading Handbook shows a lot of reduced loads for a variety of calibers.

What Cals do you want the data for and I'll PM it to you.
I have 45th and 46th. Both have a lot of light loads for cast bullets and some pretty soft ones with 110 jacketed or semi-jacketed for the 30-30. Lyman manuals have always impressed me with the amount of information they contain.

Can anybody here confirm that .5cc of Bullseye is 4.7 grains of powder. Thanks in advance.
I don't think 4.7 gr of Bullseye is going to be quiet!
I get your experiment, but it is not going to be much fun from an auto loader. I doubt you will get a regular bullet to clear the barrel with primer only.
I have made a lot of light loads for revolvers. to make sure the bullet clears the barrel I want to make the load deliver at least 500 fps. With that little pressure it makes a mess of your gun. there is not enough pressure to expand the case and seal the chamber. So you will get a lot of soot back into the action. In a revolver that is not so hard to clean out, but a semi....
What you might look at would be a 90 gr bullet [ from a .380]over a light load of Trail Boss. TB does not meter well so you will have to find a measure that drops 1/2 to 3/4 case in a 9mm case. try a 380 or 32 auto case as a measure. That should be pretty quiet and almost no recoil.
When I needed to learn to shoot with my off hand[ right arm was in a sling] I made a load of the lee 105 gr 380 bullet over .5 cc of TB. in a 38 spl case. These gave me around 500 fps from a 2" snubby. And these should reliably clear the barrel of a 4" 9mm. Just remember if you dont see where the bullet hit the target , Check the barrel! Good Luck, DR

The classifieds have many great ones.
I say get an RCBS 10-10 or 5-10 for exact measures without worry of electronic or battery failure
AND
a simple electronic one for quick checks.
The beam type take a moment but are very precice.

Joe

Can anybody here confirm that .5cc of Bullseye is 4.7 grains of powder. Thanks in advance.
I haven't pulled out a 1cc syringe to measure 4.7gr of bullseye, but that charge should be more than enough to cycle a 9mm. My 9mm practice loads often times have less than that for a 115gr bullet.

I've used 3.7gr of bullseye regularly in a 9mm that is well worn in.

I think I've got a load using 3.0gr of CFE pistol powder using a 165gr plated bullet.

I loaded up an CCI SRM primer #450 in a 9mm empty case no bullet and fired it off in my PT92. It went off easily and created a pretty good fireball. There was no muzzle flip at all.

As for the 9mm Lee Loader kit it needs a flaring tool or beveled bullets in my opinion. I am going to use a plated bullet installed in the case upside down to bell the case mouth a tad. Then hammer that bullet out with primer removal rod. I did one sample like that last night and it helped a lot but it will make for slowwwww loading. I have a few hours of hiking and brush whacking ahead of me this morning. Neighbor lady is coming over this afternoon for gorilla reloading lesson and pizza.

I loaded up an CCI SRM primer #450 in a 9mm empty case no bullet and fired it off in my PT92. It went off easily and created a pretty good fireball. There was no muzzle flip at all.

As for the 9mm Lee Loader kit it needs a flaring tool or beveled bullets in my opinion. I am going to use a plated bullet installed in the case upside down to bell the case mouth a tad. Then hammer that bullet out with primer removal rod. I did one sample like that last night and it helped a lot but it will make for slowwwww loading. I have a few hours of hiking and brush whacking ahead of me this morning. Neighbor lady is coming over this afternoon for gorilla reloading lesson and pizza.
I started out loading 9mm with a Lee Loader.. it should've come with a flare/de-flare tool.

If you are going to load more than a handful, that Lee Loader will get old quick! But Lee makes a hand press that uses standard dies. I can't say its fast, but it does everything a bench mounted press will do! I used to travel a lot for work, and tried one for loading in motels at night. For myself I changed to a single stage press mounted to a small square of plywood that I could clamp to any table or counter top worked much better! DR

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top