JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
so if the law is "shall issue", and youve gone thru all the other vetting process, what is the purpose of the visit to your home to ask why you want a gun? (or another one...)

Ah, you see, this is 'another gun' in addition to those that you have already been allowed to have...... Every time I wanted to have another gun, I had to go through this rigmarole. You see, if you haven't already figured it out for yourselves, just wanting to have another gun is NOT a 'good reason'. You have to have a legal 'good reason' under the wording of the Firearms Act [1968] [Revised 1988, 1998, 2016 etc].

And the wording is quite specific under the Home Office Guidelines - 'the Chief Constable of XYZ County Constabulary, having been satisfied as to the compliance of the Applicant with the provisions of the Firearms Act[a], and that he/she has good reasons to acquire and possess firearms, SHALL issue XYX with a valid FAC...'

tac

so it sounds to me that the "shall issue" is deceptively used like a false front for an ask permission law for gun ownership. Once you got thru great lengths to acquire a FAC they "shall issue" but to get the FAC you have to ask permission.

Whats missing is freedom...

Reading all this makes me happy that my ancestor, Mr. Fuller, jumped on a little boat called the "Mayflower" years ago. Honestly all those extra requirements would make my head spin. It's a bit surprising as many folks are willing to go through it as they do over there. But thankfully, they do, if for no better reason than to keep firearms ownership and shooting sports alive across the pond.

@Koda - yup, that's about it.

So we suck it up or do without - what would YOU do in my shoes?

Time I said it again - the only country on earth that has the Right to Keep and Bear Arms is the USA. In every other country that has what we understand has democracy and freedom of choice has to get permission from their government to own firearms.

Some democratic nations do not permit private ownership of guns at all, or to an insanely limited extent.

You are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lucky.

tac

Last Edited:
yeah I have to second what etrain16 said. Reading this thread makes me aware of the true freedom American citizens have, our gun politics aside its real easy to take for granted our freedoms over here without some perspective. Thanks for sharing all this TAC

@Koda - yup, that's about it.

So we suck it up or do without - what would YOU do in my shoes?

Time I said it again - the only country on earth that has the Right to Keep and Bear Arms is the USA. In every other country that has what we understand has democracy and freedom of choice has to get permission from their government to own firearms.

Some democratic nations do not permit private ownership of guns at all, or to an insanely limited extent.

You are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lucky.

tac

Personally, I'd like to make a thread like this mandatory reading for all gun owners and voters. Not that I'm a fan of making anything mandatory, but to make sure people are aware of the potential consequences of their actions (or inactions) with regard to choosing certain candidates and backing certain measures. These rights can be lost and/or restricted either by executive action or by the death by a thousand cuts we're currently undergoing.

Thanks again @tac for sharing all this info. It should be a real eye-opener to those who are not aware or appreciative of the current freedoms we enjoy.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top