Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

The 9mm Automatic: A better 9mm cartridge

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Fast Eddie, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Vancouver Well-Known Member

The premise of the article is that there is a taper to 9mm Luger that creates issues with stacking and feeding, the new 9mm Automatic design cures that. It is an interesting discussion.

9mm Automatic

He encourages those who agree with him, to compel the ammunition manufacturers to produce the design, based on the results of his prototype results (and probably the fact that he holds the patent).

While I would like to try this ammunition, My 9's have never had a FTF or FTE and I am an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" kind of guy.

OTOH, I think my 9's will shoot anything you feed them, I have run everything through them from COR BON to Montana outhouse reloads without any issues. I think it would be a good way to reverse test the theory.

If you have a finicky 9mm, a possible take away from the article, there might be some benefit to breaking out the calipers (if you are good enough to measure those tolerances) and seeing if a less tapered round, makes a reliable gun out of it.

2. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Thank you for the post. That was an enjoyable read.

Fast Eddie and (deleted member) like this.
  3. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

? Ive never had any of the issues he's mentioned with the 9mm problems.

I think its a lot of fuss over very little.

Hook686, jim97701, jluck and 3 others like this.
  4. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I usually shove a long slug of around .357-.360" into 9mm brass.. they are pretty straight walled after that.
    MP-5's have curved mags.. they's smart that way.

5. Fast Eddie

I got some reloads that looked like that too. I wish I had know this then, it would be interesting to see how they lined up next to each other.

6. Oregonhunter5

Oregonhunter5 2C IDAHO Well-Known Member

It's a good way to promote sales and discussion. Love it.

7. Certaindeaf

I wonder how many 9mm rounds have been fired.. trillions?

8. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

Compel, shmompel. Out here in the real world the 9mm cartridge feeds just fine, even through a 33 round magazine.

9. Certaindeaf

I just checked some different loaded 9mm pistol mags (factory loads).. the brass is all in full contact with one another.. no gap at all.

10. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

And to think he could have spent that time doing something constructive like getting the PMR 30 to feed reliably.

11. AMT

AMT Vancouver, WA. Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Very good read.

Can you fine folks help out?

In the picts from Figure 1 on..... The bullet themselves look differently shaped too. If you look at the bullt near the brass it looks like the 9mm Luger looks like they have a fatness to them, with the 9mm Automatic appear to be thinner.

Could this be different bullets used in the manufacture of the 9mm Luger and the 9mm Automatic (parabellum, et al).

I recently picked up a 9mm Luger. I was talking with someone about it and was told to make sure that I use 9mm Luger ammo and not the “standard or normal” 9mm parabellum.

Honestly not knowing what the difference was, other than the “name” or labeling, I was told that the 9mm Luger is a 9x18 and the parabellum was a 9x19.

I mentioned that I always just bought 9mm and didn’t pay too much attention. I mentioned the my 9mm's seemed to shoot anything I put into them.

I was asked "are they stamped Luger or Parabellum". "I don't know. I assume Parabellum as the are not marked "Luger"."

I was told that a non-Luger 9mm (a 9x19) will shoot 9x19 and 9x18 without any problems. The problems arise when trying to put a 9x19 into a Luger which is designed for the 9x18. The guy told me that some Lugers are OK with either and some are not.

What say the 9mm folks?

12. Certaindeaf

A 9x18 will not shoot in a 9x19 but the converse is not true but certainly not safe.
    A 9x19 cartridge is a 9mm Luger and 9mm Parabellum cartridge.. they are the same.

13. Whaler

Whaler Sequim, WA Well-Known Member

Interesting reading but I don't see the point. I was curious though and here are my results.

Hornady Critical Defense 9mm Luger in a CZ 75 P-07 mag.

9mmA.jpg

Two rounds out of the mag side by side.

9mmB.jpg

These rounds work well for me and millions of other people so why change.

BoonDocks36 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. JustShoot

JustShoot Oregon . Hillsborito area Active Member

These rounds work well for me and millions of other people ..." so why change " .
    -
    No one will be changing and no one will be mass producing this change in thought process of re-design . It's just Brad Miller, Ph.D. with far to much time on his hands masturbating his brain .

Whaler and (deleted member) like this.
  15. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

cases are tapered because a tapered case is far easier to extract, especially in a semi/full-auto firearm virtually all smokeless powder cases have a tapered design for this reason

mancat and (deleted member) like this.
  16. jluck

jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

Is it April 1st?

BoonDocks36 and (deleted member) like this.
  17. revjen45

revjen45 Snohomish County Well-Known Member

If he wanted a rimless straight walled 9mm why didn't he trim a .223 case?
    My 9X19s work just fine. It would be hard to make a business case for adding a new 9mm with problematic availability due to miniscule demand to deal with a theoretical problem that a Phd has to look for.

18. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

The only semi-auto 9MM I have ever had problems with was my replica Luger and I doubt it is the ammo.

19. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

interesting to read, but I never had an issue with 9mm luger.

20. Fast Eddie

It looks like he found the answer to the question that no one is asking *shrug*.

3MTA3 and (deleted member) like this.