JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The premise of the article is that there is a taper to 9mm Luger that creates issues with stacking and feeding, the new 9mm Automatic design cures that. It is an interesting discussion.

9mm Automatic

He encourages those who agree with him, to compel the ammunition manufacturers to produce the design, based on the results of his prototype results (and probably the fact that he holds the patent).

While I would like to try this ammunition, My 9's have never had a FTF or FTE and I am an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" kind of guy.

OTOH, I think my 9's will shoot anything you feed them, I have run everything through them from COR BON to Montana outhouse reloads without any issues. I think it would be a good way to reverse test the theory.

If you have a finicky 9mm, a possible take away from the article, there might be some benefit to breaking out the calipers (if you are good enough to measure those tolerances) and seeing if a less tapered round, makes a reliable gun out of it.

I usually shove a long slug of around .357-.360" into 9mm brass.. they are pretty straight walled after that.
MP-5's have curved mags.. they's smart that way.

I usually shove a long slug of around .357-.360" into 9mm brass.. they are pretty straight walled after that.
MP-5's have curved mags.. they's smart that way.

I got some reloads that looked like that too. I wish I had know this then, it would be interesting to see how they lined up next to each other.

Very good read.

Can you fine folks help out?

In the picts from Figure 1 on..... The bullet themselves look differently shaped too. If you look at the bullt near the brass it looks like the 9mm Luger looks like they have a fatness to them, with the 9mm Automatic appear to be thinner.

Could this be different bullets used in the manufacture of the 9mm Luger and the 9mm Automatic (parabellum, et al).

I recently picked up a 9mm Luger. I was talking with someone about it and was told to make sure that I use 9mm Luger ammo and not the "standard or normal" 9mm parabellum.

Honestly not knowing what the difference was, other than the "name" or labeling, I was told that the 9mm Luger is a 9x18 and the parabellum was a 9x19.

I mentioned that I always just bought 9mm and didn't pay too much attention. I mentioned the my 9mm's seemed to shoot anything I put into them.

I was asked "are they stamped Luger or Parabellum". "I don't know. I assume Parabellum as the are not marked "Luger"."

I was told that a non-Luger 9mm (a 9x19) will shoot 9x19 and 9x18 without any problems. The problems arise when trying to put a 9x19 into a Luger which is designed for the 9x18. The guy told me that some Lugers are OK with either and some are not.

What say the 9mm folks?

A 9x18 will not shoot in a 9x19 but the converse is not true but certainly not safe.
A 9x19 cartridge is a 9mm Luger and 9mm Parabellum cartridge.. they are the same.

Interesting reading but I don't see the point. I was curious though and here are my results.

Hornady Critical Defense 9mm Luger in a CZ 75 P-07 mag.

Two rounds out of the mag side by side.

These rounds work well for me and millions of other people so why change.

cases are tapered because a tapered case is far easier to extract, especially in a semi/full-auto firearm virtually all smokeless powder cases have a tapered design for this reason

If he wanted a rimless straight walled 9mm why didn't he trim a .223 case?
My 9X19s work just fine. It would be hard to make a business case for adding a new 9mm with problematic availability due to miniscule demand to deal with a theoretical problem that a Phd has to look for.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top