JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I can do some math, $14,500 for the two power packs, plus $4,000 for installation, then you are going to need about a 14kW solar system for about another $35-$40K. If you are building a house out in the sticks and they local utility is going to charge you $30K or more to bring power to your project, going off grid looks pretty good, if you are already tied to the grid, shelling out $50-$60K is going to take some dedication.
Those numbers, especially in the NW with cheap power, make a decent diesel genny seem a natural.. along with a more modest battery/solar array.

If you go with propane,
Buy your tanks.
Get enough storage for more than a year.
Stay away from keep full.
Buy in July or Aug.
Prepay or pay on delivery.
Cash is king.
Check prices including all fees
Check all companies in your area.
Make sure there is no contract, some companies give you a great price once. Part of that great price is a 3 year contract, that won't be cheap.
Most propane companies won't tell you this. They want to fill every 2 to 3 months alot of times the first $30 is fees.
I own a propane company.

So if you paid cash for your setup there'd still be that hassle? If so, I'd agree with you.

nope, if you paid cash there is no hassle. I haven't been in the solar industry since 2011 but I believe the federal investment tax credit expired in 2016, there still may be some state subsidies though, normally they give you a rebate on the net watts installed. When the economy tanked in 2007 SolarCity pioneered the solar lease so they could stay in business and continue to grow. The got investments from companies like google to fund these solar leases that could get you a solar system installed with no money down. The problem is someone else owns that solar system, so they have to put a lean on your property to protect their interest, that is the source of all the hassles. If you just paid for it outright or used an equity line of credit, then there are no long term hassles.

nope, if you paid cash there is no hassle. I haven't been in the solar industry since 2011 but I believe the federal investment tax credit expired in 2016, there still may be some state subsidies though, normally they give you a rebate on the net watts installed. When the economy tanked in 2007 SolarCity pioneered the solar lease so they could stay in business and continue to grow. The got investments from companies like google to fund these solar leases that could get you a solar system installed with no money down. The problem is someone else owns that solar system, so they have to put a lean on your property to protect their interest, that is the source of all the hassles. If you just paid for it outright or used an equity line of credit, then there are no long term hassles.
Well then in my book it's the subsidy, however it might be defined, that is problematic.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top