JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Before I pull the trigger on a SCAR 17S (no pun intended) does anyone have any comparable rifles in the same price range that I should look at also? Just want to make sure I cover all the options before I lay down the cash.

I layed down the cash, in the .308 and 5.56, so I did it twice, love it, fun to shoot, and for the cost, its not a very bad value. Its not like an AR where it has a bunch of interchangables, but a good red dot or nice scope makes it a great gun with a combo of under 3K.

What scope are you running on you 17? I was looking at maybe getting an acog if I do decide on the Scar.

Really, I didn't find anything that made me want to go a different route on the .308

But you can buy a whole lot of guns for 3k

Really, in all honesty, all of us, this is a hobby, its a hobby and a collection. If you own more than one, its that, a hobby, and a hobby, price is only a small piece. Train collectors start with a basic set, then they add, and add, until they have a warehouse train track with houses, mountains and 85 miles of small track running around. One gun is a tool, its a tool for home defense or hunting. When you get past that, your in a different playing field. I bought my first scar (5.56) because it was rated so well, put an EoTech XPS on it, and it does very well, on my 17, I put a Leupold Mark 6 M6C1 on it, and it reaches out pretty good. yes you can buy 3 well outfitted average AR's, 5 AK's, but I don't have one bad thing to say about a SCAR. Some say they are a little heavy, but if your worried about price, and want something comparable, look at the Bushmaster ACR's

The interchangeability advertised is not there. Accuracy can be REALLY hit or miss and is difficult to fix. The cost is up to twice what a comparable AR 10 is and for the street cost of the 17 you can get a really much nicer AR 10. The ergonomics suck is comparison to the AR 10 which is set up for you. Then there is the cost. When you want to tune it there are very few options for parts. And they cost too much for what they are.

The interchangeability advertised is not there. Accuracy can be REALLY hit or miss and is difficult to fix. The cost is up to twice what a comparable AR 10 is and for the street cost of the 17 you can get a really much nicer AR 10. The ergonomics suck is comparison to the AR 10 which is set up for you. Then there is the cost. When you want to tune it there are very few options for parts. And they cost too much for what they are.

My 17 I tuned in well at 300 yards, but its not really that type of rifle, its a CQB rifle at best and IMO its great at that. I got a good one, but your right about its lack of modular components. It looks cool, not going to lie, and i love FNH.

My 17 I tuned in well at 300 yards, but its not really that type of rifle, its a CQB rifle at best and IMO its great at that. I got a good one, but your right about its lack of modular components. It looks cool, not going to lie, and i love FNH.

Are you really only getting 300yd out of the scar 17? I would think that the scar 17 would be able to achieve accurate shots at much greater distances than that?

I realize this isn't a match gun, but I have seen many videos of people shooting theirs out to 600yd with no problems.

Are you really only getting 300yd out of the scar 17? I would think that the scar 17 would be able to achieve accurate shots at much greater distances than that?

I realize this isn't a match gun, but I have seen many videos of people shooting theirs out to 600yd with no problems.
I guess you could tune it to that, we'll I know you can with a 18-20 inch barrel. I have no need to shot at that distance with it. About a year ago I picked up an AI AX338 rifle that I use for distance. Again, to much bloody money that I have only put 3 rounds down the pipe, and that was for sighting it in, but whatever, a good conversation piece. Ultimately, if you second thinking it, don't buy it, you'll end up,selling it and losing money in the end game. If you want a 308, go find something that you will love and keep for a long time.

My DMPS Sportical in .308 with a 16" barrel will ring a gong at 600 yards. You can get them for less than a grand and they weigh about what my buddy's SCAR in 5.56 weighs. Don't get me wrong - I love that SCAR - I'd just never pay that kind of money for one.

Before I pull the trigger on a SCAR 17S (no pun intended) does anyone have any comparable rifles in the same price range that I should look at also? Just want to make sure I cover all the options before I lay down the cash.
Really, in all honesty, all of us, this is a hobby, its a hobby and a collection. If you own more than one, its that, a hobby, and a hobby, price is only a small piece. Train collectors start with a basic set, then they add, and add, until they have a warehouse train track with houses, mountains and 85 miles of small track running around. One gun is a tool, its a tool for home defense or hunting. When you get past that, your in a different playing field.

Pig, I'm guessing you are in your early to mid twenties. Nothing wrong with that. I'm just saying your tastes, wants and even needs change with time. Just wait until you get bitten by the 1911 bug. You'll start with one, then another, then before you know it you have eight or ten of the damned things and are always looking for more. Just as tactical pointed out this is a hobby, but pretty soon you'll be trying to talk yourself out of something like this:

(In the LGS where I found this, I lost the argument I had with myself. :s0114: Much like you are having right now and it followed me home.)​

Sorry I can't be of more help other than to say I know what you are going through and why one earth would one use a SCAR for long distance? That's what a bolt gun is for. Good luck. :s0155:

/

I am in the same situation. Looking at the ar-10/SCAR 17, HK 417..What keeps me from buying is 1, the cost.. and B, the need to add another caliber of ammo to my stocking list.

I was in your shoes and looking at AR pattern .308 rifles. Was looking at LaRue, LMT, GA Precision.

Walked into the LGS and they had a SCAR-17 on the wall. Took it home and never regretted it. Yes, you pay the FN tax with expensive magazines, cost of replacement parts, etc, but it's worth it. The only problem I have is now I want a -16 to match!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top