JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
ok well after looking over all my options including the ones you guys suggested alas I have decided to go with the scar 17.

hell, i figure if i don't like it I can sell it and get something else although I rarely sell guns I buy.

I am ordering it most likely next week, and I will post some pics once it has arrived at my ffl.

I've seen mags online for about $40 which isn't too terribly expensive. but it aint no pmag!

Let me know if any of you guys are interested in some pictures and review from the range. (sorry for making another thread where I decided to buy what I said originally as if my mind was already made up)

I am glad I got to see some of your suggestions and even though it didn't change my mind it gave me some more clarity on my decision.

thanks to all!

Pig

I am in the same situation. Looking at the ar-10/SCAR 17, HK 417..What keeps me from buying is 1, the cost.. and B, the need to add another caliber of ammo to my stocking list.

I have had pretty good results with pmc as training ammo, and it isn't too expensive either (as far as .308 goes)

Despite what I posted earlier, I think you made the right decision. Pics & range report?

I will be ordering the rifle on probably thursday, they told me it came with free 2 day shipping.

Then I will have to settle up with my ffl and it will be mine!

I will have a range report and picture most likely next week. just bought a 1000rd case of .308 today for $628 Shipped, woohoo! that should be enough to break her in ;)

Before I pull the trigger on a SCAR 17S (no pun intended) does anyone have any comparable rifles in the same price range that I should look at also? Just want to make sure I cover all the options before I lay down the cash.

Make sure that you check into their blue label program and if you qualify for it.

Pig, I'm guessing you are in your early to mid twenties. Nothing wrong with that. I'm just saying your tastes, wants and even needs change with time. Just wait until you get bitten by the 1911 bug. You'll start with one, then another, then before you know it you have eight or ten of the damned things and are always looking for more. Just as tactical pointed out this is a hobby, but pretty soon you'll be trying to talk yourself out of something like this:

(In the LGS where I found this, I lost the argument I had with myself. :s0114: Much like you are having right now and it followed me home.)​

Sorry I can't be of more help other than to say I know what you are going through and why one earth would one use a SCAR for long distance? That's what a bolt gun is for. Good luck. :s0155:

/

That is a really nice piece. Can you throw some details out on that? I'm unfortunately in the market for my first 1911, and it's going to require me to spend a bunch of money. It's a disease, found it listed on the WHO website. I have it now, the only thing I can do is start a collection. :p

That is a really nice piece. Can you throw some details out on that? I'm unfortunately in the market for my first 1911, and it's going to require me to spend a bunch of money. It's a disease, found it listed on the WHO website. I have it now, the only thing I can do is start a collection. :p

Wow, you're looking at Wilsons for a first 1911? Starting it off right!

Wow, you're looking at Wilsons for a first 1911? Starting it off right!

Like I said, it's a disease, it's not my fault. :p

Wilson makes excellent stuff, but I actually discovered these from Smith & Wessons Custom Shop the other day. The styling is more aggressive to appeal to my ultra-tactical armchair quarterback mall ninja operator side. It's difficult to silence that voice as well. You never know when North Bend is going to turn into Falluja. :p

170343_01_lg.jpg

I might have to end up buying both. Like I said... It's a disease. I'm in stage II and I don't even own one yet.

170343_01_lg.jpg

I've owned a couple of 17's. It was tough to get better than 4" groups at 200 yards. Expensive to shoot, hated the magazine scarcity and the crappy trigger. I would much prefer an M14 to another SCAR 17. The SCAR 16 on the other hand is a great rifle and enjoy it quite a bit.

what ever you buy, i'm sure you'd be happy going home with. then weeks later, you'll prob think about the next gun and accessories (for the scar).

i bought my scar last week, haven't shot it, and already know what i'm looking to get next as well as how i want to accessorize the scar. its all a matter on how much you're willing to pay. in the end, all smiles.

While it sounds like your mind is made up... lemme just interject a few things:

The .308 is a mid range round, and will shoot accurately out to about 800 yards given a good rifle and marksman. 1000 yard is possible, but the round drops subsonic at about 950 on all but the longest of barrels. Forget it with the 168 SMK. The ammo, you're looking at 20-40/bx unless you're shooting surplus ammo.

The .223 is also a mid range round, and will shoot quite accurately out to 600 yards with the ubiquitous M193 ball ammo. And some shooters will even use it out to 1000 yards with custom built rifles shooting heavy bullets loaded much longer than a magazine will accommodate. As far as ammo goes, a case of 5.56 is available for $400 (or sometimes less) per thousand, match ammo can get you back up to the 20-40/bx mark, but that's only if you want better long range performance. Or are hunting.

Based on some of the reviews above, where the rifle was described as suited to "CQB" it doesn't seem to make much sense to use the larger and more expensive 30cal round. Especially in light of the fact that the 5.56 version takes AR mags, which are $10 each in quantity these days. The secondary effect, that .308 round even suppressed is loud, quite loud. So it strikes me that the scar heavy is not the right rifle, unless you want something that's heavy loud and expensive to shoot. The 5.56 version on the other hand, carries essentially the same effective range, and while it doesn't hit quite as hard, you can shoot 3 bullets for the same weight as the .308.

I've spent a lot of time shooting lots of different stuff, I recently shelved my .308 bolt gun in favor of a .223 bolt gun, main reasons: the .223 shoots just as far at less than half the cost. Now I'm in the process of building a much larger .375 caliber rifle for real "long range" shooting, as the .308 doesn't pick up the slack for the .223. With this in mind, think long and hard whether you want the .308 or not, I think the scar is a great gun, and I'm a huge FN Fanboy, but I don't think the .308 is worth it.

I am looking at the SCAR 17 but now i am thinking of getting a OBR. I guess they are the best of the best as far as accuracy. I just dont know if I want a tack driver or another battle rifle. you may want to look at them as well depending on what you wanna do with your SCAR.

While it sounds like your mind is made up... lemme just interject a few things:

The .308 is a mid range round, and will shoot accurately out to about 800 yards given a good rifle and marksman. 1000 yard is possible, but the round drops subsonic at about 950 on all but the longest of barrels. Forget it with the 168 SMK. The ammo, you're looking at 20-40/bx unless you're shooting surplus ammo.

The .223 is also a mid range round, and will shoot quite accurately out to 600 yards with the ubiquitous M193 ball ammo. And some shooters will even use it out to 1000 yards with custom built rifles shooting heavy bullets loaded much longer than a magazine will accommodate. As far as ammo goes, a case of 5.56 is available for $400 (or sometimes less) per thousand, match ammo can get you back up to the 20-40/bx mark, but that's only if you want better long range performance. Or are hunting.

Based on some of the reviews above, where the rifle was described as suited to "CQB" it doesn't seem to make much sense to use the larger and more expensive 30cal round. Especially in light of the fact that the 5.56 version takes AR mags, which are $10 each in quantity these days. The secondary effect, that .308 round even suppressed is loud, quite loud. So it strikes me that the scar heavy is not the right rifle, unless you want something that's heavy loud and expensive to shoot. The 5.56 version on the other hand, carries essentially the same effective range, and while it doesn't hit quite as hard, you can shoot 3 bullets for the same weight as the .308.

I've spent a lot of time shooting lots of different stuff, I recently shelved my .308 bolt gun in favor of a .223 bolt gun, main reasons: the .223 shoots just as far at less than half the cost. Now I'm in the process of building a much larger .375 caliber rifle for real "long range" shooting, as the .308 doesn't pick up the slack for the .223. With this in mind, think long and hard whether you want the .308 or not, I think the scar is a great gun, and I'm a huge FN Fanboy, but I don't think the .308 is worth it.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, those are very good points.

My personal situation is that I am pretty much done buying things in .223/5.56 for now anyways. the majority of my rifles are of that caliber.

your points are very valid, and if I didn't have so many 5.56 rifles I would probably buy another ar built for long range.

I am looking at the SCAR 17 but now i am thinking of getting a OBR. I guess they are the best of the best as far as accuracy. I just dont know if I want a tack driver or another battle rifle. you may want to look at them as well depending on what you wanna do with your SCAR.

My local ffl has an OBR in his personal collection and he said that he preferred it to the scar due to his familiarity with the ar platform.

What are OBR's going for nowadays?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads