JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
what ever you buy, i'm sure you'd be happy going home with. then weeks later, you'll prob think about the next gun and accessories (for the scar).

i bought my scar last week, haven't shot it, and already know what i'm looking to get next as well as how i want to accessorize the scar. its all a matter on how much you're willing to pay. in the end, all smiles.

I totally know what you mean, last night I was looking at a noveske upper with a 15inch nsr rail for around $1200

As far the scar goes... there goes another few K.

I think I will end up having about $6000 into the scar when its finished. what modifications are you thinking of?

I got my SCAR 17 a little over a week ago and love it. I have the Handle Defense lower so it takes pmags and basically any other AR10 style mag. Took it to the Renton rifle range and didn't miss the steel plate at 200yds. They shoot like a dream. Unfortunately some unexpected expenses came up and now I have to get rid of it, but if I could this would be my go-to rifle. You won't be disappointed.

I got my SCAR 17 a little over a week ago and love it. I have the Handle Defense lower so it takes pmags and basically any other AR10 style mag. Took it to the Renton rifle range and didn't miss the steel plate at 200yds. They shoot like a dream. Unfortunately some unexpected expenses came up and now I have to get rid of it, but if I could this would be my go-to rifle. You won't be disappointed.

How much do you want to let it go for?

PM me if interested.

FDE is the more accurate color!

Haha I figured I would get at least one of those comments.

FDE is great and all but I don't live in a dessert, but I also don't live in darkness so black is no good either lol.

I was thinking of getting black and cerakote finish after. I sort of like the idea of black and grey

I own a SCAR 17 and it's a great rifle after I put a Trijicon Accupoint scope on it. First thing you will want to do is swap out the trigger group. There are much nicer after market triggers for the SCAR than what it comes with.

Handl Defense makes billet aluminum lowers for the SCAR 17 that takes standard SR-25 mags (Magpul PMAGS) for about $400. This was a really big deal during the scare because SCARs use proprietary magazines and they were going for $500 a piece on gunbroker. The 308 PMAGS were still available in stores at normal prices.

As far as other 308 ARs go, take a look at the LWRC REPR. It can be had for about $3500

The H&K MR762 is a great 308 AR with Match capabilities (MR stands for Match Rifle). It can also be had for around $3500

Additionally - if you are looking for a gas (non-piston) 308 AR you should look at a KAC SR-25. If you can find one, they start at around $3500 and go WAY up from there. The SR-25 is what most people consider a premium rifle.

Lots of people bash on piston guns because of their proprietary nature. You can't swap SCAR 17 parts with some other brand of rifle; you have to use SCAR 17 parts. This may be really important if you are on patrol or deployment but if you are a civilian using it for civilian purposes, it doesn't matter. You can be down a week while you wait for a new part to show up in the mail. A soldier cannot wait that long so interchangeable parts matter.

Lastly, when it comes time to clean your rifle, you'll be glad it's piston driven vs. gas operated.

To quote Steven Colbert "I don't see color". :s0087: Seriously, it doesn't matter, especially if you're not sure. Not being sure is a sign that you'll be happy with either one. I keep telling my ex that. Dammit. *

* Certain humorous remarks may or may not have anything to do with real life.

Eh, the AR-10 is a radically different beast from the AR-15, where most people are basing the parts they make off the M-16 drawings. The AR-10 has been designed and re-designed and copied so many times there are a wide variety of variants out there, generally the SR-25 pattern is the most "universal" of them all. However some manufacturers insist on doing things like make it take FAL mags (made sense once upon a time) or like armalite, continue to make the original AR-10 pattern (which it seems everyone has moved over to the SR-25).

Over-all it seems like the least headachy route to go getting into a .308 semi-auto is from LWRC, KAC, or even sticking with the SCAR. Proprietary rifle magazines are always a pain in the ***, and unless magpul decides to start making mags for the SCAR, you're kinda stuck there.

No other rifle has been tested from the beginning to be more reliable, purpose driven and fielded in a combat zone. Its in use with multiple Special Operation groups and is replacing the AR10 sniper style rifle for them. These guys use it, use it hard and step off a Helicopter in very demanding places that are filled with hostile people. It weights around 8 pounds dry, 11 pounds loaded with optic and magazine. In my mind its the BAR of the our generation. All the other rifles discussed are not in use overseas, you have a opportunity to own the most tested rifle yet. So other than price, whats stopping you?
Lets look at it objectively-
Combat proven- check.
Modern piston low maintenance system- check
Designed from beginning for Spec Ops from there list of wants- check
Easy break down- check
Optic ready- check
Low recoil 7.62x51 NATO/.308 Win- check
Suppressor ready- check
Compact, adjustable and folding stock- check
80% parts between 7.62 and 5.56 the same- check
Parts available from many online dealers/FNH- check
Magazines reliable- check
Civilian availability- check
Low weight- check

Yes I own one, and I am happy with it.

No other rifle has been tested from the beginning to be more reliable, purpose driven and fielded in a combat zone. Its in use with multiple Special Operation groups and is replacing the AR10 sniper style rifle for them. These guys use it, use it hard and step off a Helicopter in very demanding places that are filled with hostile people. It weights around 8 pounds dry, 11 pounds loaded with optic and magazine. In my mind its the BAR of the our generation. All the other rifles discussed are not in use overseas, you have a opportunity to own the most tested rifle yet.
[C/QUOTE]

You should really be skeptical of claims like the one FN's marketing makes.

FN, and all the other manufactures will give away product to upper level military units just like Nike and sports stars. Everyone goes for that kind of marketing if they can do it. Do you know any special forces members? Have you asked them how they like the SCAR? IIRC Chris Kyle mentioned getting SCARS for the unit, trying them out and putting them back in the packing cases. The couple of guys from SF I have met got them as well and they didn't work out. All the ones I have seen shoot in competition use AR 10 platforms.

What I have seen personally of the SCAR platform was 3 stage rifles with a FN armorer that could not make it through 120 shooters dumping 10 rounds each at a match. The armorer tried to make 1 working rifle out of 3 and a lot of the component would not fit together.

Everything on your check list could be said about an AR 10 with the addition of the option of a piston or DI system, an actual history of extensive combat use and possibly the best range of selection of parts of any platform aside from the AR 15.

Great that you are happy with it, but don't fall for the marketing.

(BLUF) The SCAR17S meets my criteria. The AR10 does not.
I have spoken with some guys up at JBLM before I bought it. Whom had used it in OEF and thought the 7.62x51 useful due to the long ranges encountered but a combat load to be a hindrance (10+ mags) if dismounted. I am not SF, nor pretending to be.
I am not falling for marketing, if I was I would have a XD on my hip.
The AR10/SR25 has some serious issues, in Chris Kyles book he complained about it malfunctioning (page 115). The SCAR light (5.56) was universally disliked when tested, for the cost you can have two well outfitted M4s which is why they get a 5.56 conversion kit with the Heavy(7.62). The SCAR program is the direction weapon development is going, DI systems are not.
And in my 22 years of being in the military and shooting in general I have seen the DI m16/M4 malfunction every range day more than once.
If the question was SCAR16S then I would have said no (buy two 6920's), but the SCAR17S is a different animal and one I think worth a look. Cost is a major factor, next year after I meet my goal of 2,000+ rounds fired I may have a different opinion. But so far I like the results I have been getting.

Thank you for all of the helpful replies, sorry I couldn't reply sooner.

I placed the order for the rifle today, I had a slight delay due to being busy with work.

I am really excited for the gun to arrive! I ended up getting the black one and will have paid $2950 after all is said and done. Which I understand isn't the best price I could hope to get, but I am satisfied with what I paid.

already own two 6920's so i figured a good .308 would be a nice addition to the mix.

how did you like the handle defense lower? Is it really worth it now that mags are down to $40?

If you have over 30 AR10 magazines now then the Handle Lower would be a good investment. If you have no AR10 mags now then I would just surf the net looking for sales (just picked up 5 more mags at $27 each) and buy 5 at a time till you hit your needs. The mags are very well made and being steel will have a longer service life compared to the aluminum AR10.
My thoughts at least.
Coops, MidwayUSA, MGW, and others have sales often-

If you have over 30 AR10 magazines now then the Handle Lower would be a good investment. If you have no AR10 mags now then I would just surf the net looking for sales (just picked up 5 more mags at $27 each) and buy 5 at a time till you hit your needs. The mags are very well made and being steel will have a longer service life compared to the aluminum AR10.
My thoughts at least.
Coops, MidwayUSA, MGW, and others have sales often-

That is sort of what I was thinking, that it would only make sense if someone had a bunch of sr25 mags laying around. or back when scar mags were like $100 on gun broker.

I don't own any ar10 mags so I guess I will just be stocking up on Scar mags.

FAL.

So good, it has found itself on BOTH sides of the battlefield.

That's certainly an option, isn't it?

I love FALs, and I also would like a SCAR 17 one day, but the nagging question I keep having is if what you get - or what I'd get as a recreational shooter - with the SCAR is worth the price premium over an FAL. Hell, is the price premium of a brand new DSA FAL worth it compared to how much you can build an FAL from a kit and a selection of improved aftermarket parts for?

I can't answer that.

As a 500yard battle rifle, I think the FAL is very hard to beat in a cost:benefits evaluation. Maybe the improved accuracy and slightly lighter weight of the big SCAR is worth the $1200 more you'd be paying. I don't know.

If you could get either a 308 AR or a SCAR 17 to work as reliably as they've both been advertised, I think you'd have a pretty spectacular jack of all trades, but I don't know if we're there yet. Seems like you hear reports of both guns breaking down with too much frequency. In the long run, however, I think I'd have to give the edge to the AR, simply for the weight of momentum and the large market behind it pushing its innovations and improvements.

But, if FN opened up the SCAR to aftermarket, third party manufacturers? Sign me up, baby. I bet it would take off like a rocket.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top