JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
308 AR's are getting improvements. Dual ejectors, reduced weight in various parts of the gun components, cross compatibility with more 5.56 parts, more aftermarket options (barrels, magazines, etc). If they end up being only 30% more than their 5.56 brothers the SCAR17 will have more competition for the budget precision optic shooters. Not to give you buyers remorse before you even get your SCAR (bc I still want one as well) is the SCAR 17 worth 2-3 times the extra cost of a AR308 with all the new developments they've made/going to make.

308 AR's are getting improvements. Dual ejectors, reduced weight in various parts of the gun components, cross compatibility with more 5.56 parts, more aftermarket options (barrels, magazines, etc). If they end up being only 30% more than their 5.56 brothers the SCAR17 will have more competition for the budget precision optic shooters. Not to give you buyers remorse before you even get your SCAR (bc I still want one as well) is the SCAR 17 worth 2-3 times the extra cost of a AR308 with all the new developments they've made/going to make.

Serious question,

Is there a factory AR-10 that comes with the same or better features than the scar for equal price?

Chf barrel
monolithic upper
ambi controls
folding/telescoping/cheek rising buttstock
Piston instead of DI
folding iron sights
adjustable gas
etc.

I always sort of felt like a scar has all the features of an ar platform after you add all the aftermarket parts.

if the at-10 platform does see all of the improvements/support you suggest maybe I would get one later on, only time will tell i guess.

Serious question,

Is there a factory AR-10 that comes with the same or better features than the scar for equal price?

Chf barrel
monolithic upper
ambi controls
Piston instead of DI
folding iron sights
adjustable gas
etc.

I always sort of felt like a scar has all the features of an ar platform after you add all the aftermarket parts.

if the at-10 platform does see all of the improvements/support you suggest maybe I would get one later on, only time will tell i guess.

while they don't have all those features, check out Larue's OBR. its one of the finest AR-10s you will find.

Serious question,

Chf barrel
monolithic upper
ambi controls
Piston instead of DI
folding iron sights
adjustable gas
etc.

I dont want to get into any ugliness this is all academic points you mentioned.

Chf barrel, yup plenty of manufacturers, but lmt comes to mind.
monolithic upper, sure, lmt is one right off the top of my head again. But theres also pof.
ambi controls, lmt comes stock with those I believe maybe pof.
folding/telescoping/cheek rising buttstock, plastic side folder is something a lot people dont care for from a durability standpoint. But subjective
Piston instead of DI, again this is subjective. But pof, lwrc, pws, if you wanted a piston ar, which I think is like taking one step forward and two steps back for the ar design.
folding iron sights, most ar rifles can give the user multiple options for various vision requirements from diamond head, to ghost ring, to cqb to match style sights, can a scar do that?
adjustable gas, slr rifleworks makes a fantastic adjustable gas block for hundred bucks which will be even better than what the scar has for tuning.

Like I said a scar heavy is what I consider a jack of all trades rifle. But somethings the ar308 will do better like have more support, innovative ideas, and development.

Can you get a 18, 20, 22 inch barrel for the scar heavy? How about a 10 different types of geissele triggers? How about spare parts? Extra extractors or replacement springs? Even the scar requires regular maintenance. Gun springs are still metal compounds under tension.

I own a fal right now and the only thing I want is to replace it with a scar. My thing is that I feel that the scar heavy has impeccable shooting behavior. It feels to me like all the best of the ar15 and ak47 and in a 308. But the ar is always going to be a considerable contender.

I dont want to get into any ugliness this is all academic points you mentioned.

Chf barrel, yup plenty of manufacturers, but lmt comes to mind.
monolithic upper, sure, lmt is one right off the top of my head again. But theres also pof.
ambi controls, lmt comes stock with those I believe maybe pof.
folding/telescoping/cheek rising buttstock, plastic side folder is something a lot people dont care for from a durability standpoint. But subjective
Piston instead of DI, again this is subjective. But pof, lwrc, pws, if you wanted a piston ar, which I think is like taking one step forward and two steps back for the ar design.
folding iron sights, most ar rifles can give the user multiple options for various vision requirements from diamond head, to ghost ring, to cqb to match style sights, can a scar do that?
adjustable gas, slr rifleworks makes a fantastic adjustable gas block for hundred bucks which will be even better than what the scar has for tuning.

Like I said a scar heavy is what I consider a jack of all trades rifle. But somethings the ar308 will do better like have more support, innovative ideas, and development.

Can you get a 18, 20, 22 inch barrel for the scar heavy? How about a 10 different types of geissele triggers? How about spare parts? Extra extractors or replacement springs? Even the scar requires regular maintenance. Gun springs are still metal compounds under tension.

I own a fal right now and the only thing I want is to replace it with a scar. My thing is that I feel that the scar heavy has impeccable shooting behavior. It feels to me like all the best of the ar15 and ak47 and in a 308. But the ar is always going to be a considerable contender.

Thank you for taking the time to respond with some interesting ideas about the two platforms.

I totally agree with what you said about the market support and equipment options being in the ar-10's favor. Another question, do you think the ar-10 development will outpace the scar in the next 10 years?

Thank you for taking the time to respond with some interesting ideas about the two platforms.

I totally agree with what you said about the market support and equipment options being in the ar-10's favor. Another question, do you think the ar-10 development will outpace the scar in the next 10 years?

I would love to just jump in on this because my thought is FNH for some reason can't not get support in the aftermarket world. They make great firearms in my opinion, but lets take it one step at a time. I can't find a single holster for my FNS or FNX thats not leather or IWB. Fobus does some stuff but IMO its not great. So anything on a SCAR has to be put on the rails. I don't have anything updated on my 2 SCARS because I cant find anything. But its great as it is. I think development in the 10's and 15's will stall, not much more you can make except a cup holder, wait, they have that already. When it comes down to development of any weapons system, its all about how much and well in adapts to the military, that is why the FAL and AR's have so much aftermarket crap

Last Edited:
Last month (or maybe it was January), Recoil Magazine published an FN-centered edition, with an article about the FN SCAR-16. They included some info on the 17 as well, and it was nice to know that aftermarket parts and accessories like rail extensions, triggers, etc. are starting to become more available.

The FAL rifle made its first appearance in 1953ish, the AR10 in 1957ish as per internet so you have over 50 years of development. The SCAR is like 2004ish. The AR10 is pretty much the same as it was when it came out, some new materials but the specs are the same, as is the system. I think we will see some new things for the SCAR, Vltor already has new Butt stock, rails (Keymod hand guard in July), MI has rail systems too and other company's also. Sure there is more aftermarket support for the AR10, would hope so after how long its been around.

Hey guys just an update, I sent in a money order to get a discount so it is taking a little longer than expected. UPS website says it will be at my ffl on tuesday.

I will give you guys an update when I get my hands on her!

Thanks for all the helpful replies, I am looking forward to shooting the scar!

got mine last Saturday. Hopefully I will get down to the ARPC sometime next week to shoot it. By the way, what optic have you decided to put on it? I have no clue really for mine.

got mine last Saturday. Hopefully I will get down to the ARPC sometime next week to shoot it. By the way, what optic have you decided to put on it? I have no clue really for mine.

I was thinking of either getting another acog, but after shooting with my buddy I might go with the Elcan 1x4

But that $2000 price tags hurts after the scar :rolleyes:

I ordered a Leupold Mk4 1.5-5x20 non-illuminated that should arrive next week. And I am going to try out the Trijicon AccuePoint 1-4x24 green triangle in a Delta ADM mount also.
My list to try was-
NightForce 2.5-10x32mm
Leupold Mk4 1.5-5x20mm (308 ready SPR, called Leupold and they said SCAR Heavy no problem)
Trijicon 1-4x24mm red/green triangle (a 3 gun fave)
ACOG TA01B

I was thinking of either getting another acog, but after shooting with my buddy I might go with the Elcan 1x4

But that $2000 price tags hurts after the scar :rolleyes:
For me the one year only warranty from Elcan was a no go. Leupold is life time and I mentioned my concern and the phone rep said they would fix it for free if the recoil broke it, and the Mk4 was designed to handle military/LE dutys from the onset.

For me the one year only warranty from Elcan was a no go. Leupold is life time and I mentioned my concern and the phone rep said they would fix it for free if the recoil broke it, and the Mk4 was designed to handle military/LE dutys from the onset.

how much did you pay for the Leupold if you dont mind me asking?

I think mags are more plentiful, but what about the crappy trigger.
Yes the mags are more plentiful now but I hated the trigger. Very gritty and very heavy. The trigger on my SCAR16 is a bit crisper but to get accurate shots out of the 17 I would have needed to upgrade to a new trigger system. I had already dumpted $2700 into the rifle and didn't want to invest another $400 to get the trigger I wanted.

Yes the mags are more plentiful now but I hated the trigger. Very gritty and very heavy. The trigger on my SCAR16 is a bit crisper but to get accurate shots out of the 17 I would have needed to upgrade to a new trigger system. I had already dumpted $2700 into the rifle and didn't want to invest another $400 to get the trigger I wanted.
That's why I went with a POF P308 16.5". Its about 3/4 lb heavier, but it's less money, and more accurate. Mine was $2k nib. Leaving me $1k for glass.

I'm sure the op will be happy with his purchase.

That's why I went with a POF P308 16.5". Its about 3/4 lb heavier, but it's less money, more accurate, and has a great trigger. Mine was $2k nib. Leaving me $1k for glass.

I'm sure the op will be happy with his purchase.

I think the dpms Gen 2 will be the new standard for the affordable ar10. Their new lightweight ar10 is just over 7 pounds.

Now I don't want to come off as bashing the 17. I absolutely LOVE the platform! It could be one of the best general purpose combat rifles ever built but I think I want more out of a 7.62 rifle than what the 17 offers. Had the accuracy been as good as the M14 or the trigger system been a little better I would still own one. The trigger can be upgraded and so can the barrel with a few simple tools. But then again between a heavier barrel and trigger you can get over $1k real fast in upgrades.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top