JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Should I get an AR pistol?

• YES

Votes: 54 74.0%
  • NO

Votes: 19 26.0%

• Total voters
My Aero Build. 7.5" Ballistic Advantage barrel. The accuracy was pleasantly surprising. No problem hitting a 12" gong at 150 yards using my Eotech. ap-pistol.jpg

Profanity time.
If you have the desire and budget to get an AR Pistol -or- SBR, I cannot, for the life of me, think of why the f*ck you would even hesitate or ask us.
Considering all the anti's BS going on, even if the next president is 'publican, they could be like Reagan and sacrifice AR's / AR pistols & SBR's. If you don't have one, you'll be standing there like a schmo with your d1ck in your hand at a wh0rehouse.
Get one, be done with it, and shoot the hel! out of it.

The trick is. You need a worthless length barrel on it. And no tube.
Then it becomes pretty handy!:s0140:

At 16'' long. My OA-93 is a very handy gun. It can ride loaded in the truck. And make use of all those dandy 30 round magazines meant for the AR rifles that are in there cases.
It's also short enough to shoot and maneuver in the truck or small spaces. If I had to.

The stainless [blackened] 6.5'' 1/7 barrel is very accurate. Even if the rounds are only 2250FPS of so.:(
And mine has no tube sticking out the end. Just put the sling over your right shoulder. Push away until it's tight. And you get a pretty stable sight picture.

Wait........... It has no tube? Dose that make it a girl? :s0131:

Last Edited:
Then they screwed up in the first place. They do that a lot. They still issue approved form 1's for machineguns and then call and say send the stamp back. They approved the atkins accelerator then pulled the plug. Not a new thing. I cant even tell you how many 5320.20's theyve bungled of mine. They are a bureaucracy staffed by sometimes inexperienced people. Thats SIG brace thing is a buttstock. A buttstock on a short barreled gun is an SBR. Any idiot can see that. For them to issue a correction is pretty much to be expected.
I never fell for it - or should I say, was uncomfortable getting one for the very reasons you mentioned.

If your into ARs and you have the money why not?
They are cool. Sure not very practical, but for a take along self defense beast it's perfect.
Can easily take it in a bag hiking, backpacking, or on roadtrips.
That's a reason I like it. If I needed a "battle rifle" I would take my carbine or rifle AR.
I have a 24", 18", 16", and a 7.5".
Seemed silly to not have a pistol.

Pics of an 8 1/2" and of a 10.5" barrel. Ignore the buttstock if you arent into that sort of thing. I will say that I have uppers in .223 and 300 BLK but the 300BLK is a better round for short barrels.

IsQrKM.jpg

8pMuto.jpg
08CEb6.jpg

Last Edited:
They are both SBRs and are both covered by the NFA. Buy a gun or receiver, fill out a few forms and submit online with $200 each. 3 months go by these days until you get it back, engrave the lower and put it alltogether.Easy PZ.

Caveat for Washington. For some reason you guys have to do a special dance to build one yourself in Washington. It certainly can be done but requires a little more effort than people have to put forth in states who's legislators don't have their heads completely up their asses.

Last Edited:
It's all about priorities. If you want to conceal carry a loaded firearm, either on person or in your vehicle (WA), it's going to be a pistol. Here are some options:

1. Sig Saur MPX 16.8 " overall length (without brace), shoots 9mm or .40, pistol calibers!

Only the 9mm Sig MPX is currently shipping and available. Neither the .40 S&W or 10mm models have been released yet. And it is unclear exactly when Sig will eventually bring them out.

1. Tavor SAR, 26" OL, shoots 556 and 223 and has a full length 16 barrel.

I agree. The Tavor would be an excellent alternative for anyone to consider.

Or here in Idaho.But that wasn't the point of my post

I was not addressing your point. I was simply adding additional info so that people on the board from Oregon would know that our state law is different than Washington's.

Most Oregon gun owners that I have talked to have seemed to be unaware of this matter of the law in our state. So I was just putting out additional info to help more people know what the law is in their state.

FWIW ...little known fact...

If you build it with a phase 5 tube and a SIG Brace and a 10.5" barrel it gets just long ( over 26" OAL ) enough to be able to use a forward grip on it without having to register it as an AOW with the NFA branch. Its just a "Weapon" and not a "pistol". Heres my "weapon" before I got the SBR paperwork back.

View attachment 254340
Or its as long as a Tavor with a 16" barrel.

They are both SBRs and are both covered by the NFA. Buy a gun or receiver, fill out a few forms and submit online with $200 each. 3 months go by these days until you get it back, engrave the lower and put it alltogether.Easy PZ.

Caveat for Washington. For some reason you guys have to do a special dance to build one yourself in Washington. It certainly can be done but requires a little more effort than people have to put forth in states who's legislators don't have their heads completely up their asses.

As I understand it, it goes something like this: Washington State law and the NFW collide in a way that makes it illegal for you to assemble your own SBR in WA. You can buy all of the parts but someone with the proper FFL needs to assemble it for you. So some of the local guys with, I believe it's a Class 7, have offered to do the build for you for $100 so that you can at least have your SBR. That may include engraving. With the future of trusts in doubt, many still consider it worth the additional hassle and expense.

I'm an AR guy, but would never do a pistol of one. Some of the crazy laws that it takes a lawyer to figure out is one (as the guys talking upthread demonstrate, to me anyway).

HOWEVER, this should talk you out of it. It's a pistol off the shelf, legal. Buy it: shoot it. Simple. Kel-tec PLR-16 (PLR = Pistol Long Range) Accurate, lightweight, very easy to break down and clean, reliable, inexpensive, takes AR-15 magazines.

More info: https://www.learnaboutguns.com/2010/08/02/kel-tec-plr-16-long-range-2235-56mm-pistol-review/

http://www.gunblast.com/Kel-Tec_PLR-16.htm

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2012/3/1/kel-tec-plr-16-556223-semi-automatic-pistol/
5429397260_7694f98838_z.jpg

I'm an AR guy, but would never do a pistol of one. Some of the crazy laws that it takes a lawyer to figure out is one (as the guys talking upthread demonstrate, to me anyway).

HOWEVER, this should talk you out of it. It's a pistol off the shelf, legal. Buy it: shoot it. Simple. Kel-tec PLR-16 (PLR = Pistol Long Range) Accurate, lightweight, very easy to break down and clean, reliable, inexpensive, takes AR-15 magazines.

More info: https://www.learnaboutguns.com/2010/08/02/kel-tec-plr-16-long-range-2235-56mm-pistol-review/

http://www.gunblast.com/Kel-Tec_PLR-16.htm

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2012/3/1/kel-tec-plr-16-556223-semi-automatic-pistol/
View attachment 256049
But,but it's... a. kel tec

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews