JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Should I get an AR pistol?

• YES

Votes: 54 74.0%
  • NO

Votes: 19 26.0%

• Total voters
That vid was made before the second letter. Lots of videos out there shouldering the thing made prior to the guberments second shuffle backwards. There are even videos published after with folks shouldering there sig braces. I'm happy to see it and hope it continues.

As for pistol builds go. I think they have a good purpose. I've got one and it gets shot often.

I have been thinking of building a second similar to this one for some time.

I've wanted to do a build with the Dolos quick change system, and that setup with the folder and the detachable barrel is outstanding. I love it! Super easy for backpacking, in a get home/bugout bag, or as a console/truck gun. Once I get my 300blk cycling subs, I am going to throw one together for my get home car kit.

My build is finally done. And I would NEVER talk anyone out of building one of these little bad boys! What a slick little rig!

IMG_1463.JPG

Honestly I don't see why I'd want to take a round designed for a 20" barrel and stuff it in a pistol but I did vote yes because hey it is your money and if you want one than get one. It is after a free country or at least it use to be.

Ballistically you lose about 1000fps. I get it. But its still 55+ grains coming out at 2200 FPS. Faster than just about any other handgun load. And at its intended range, it will work better than most handgun loads. I like that you voted yes too. Its personal choice. I don't get why people like .25-06 but I say buy one of you want one. Cheers!

Well, it was four months in the making as I have kids and money doesn't grow on trees. But it was well worth it and I am glad its in my collection!

So I'm looking at an AR pistol. 10.5" in 5.56

It will serve as a fun gun and something to carry while wandering around in the woods... To defend against 2 & 4 legged attacks.

I like to put my range toys to work sometimes, currently my hiking gun is a pps43c in 7.62x25. But its a little bulky, more weight than I'm looking for and part of it digs into me no matter how I sling it.

I've always been curious about AR pistols and I've found one I like so I'm selling my PPS to raise the money.

I already have had many ARs so this seems an easy choice.

What experiences have you all had with them?

If you are going to get one, don't get the standard gas operated AR configuration with the buffer tube. Go with the Rock River LAR-PDS which is a piston driven system and has no buffer tube. It is reliable, runs way cooler and cleaner than the standard gas system, and is 17.5 inches overall with a 9 inch 1:9 twist barrel. It does not have a forward assist. Rock River says it will do MOA at 100 meters and in my experience it will do pretty close to that with M855 and an EOtech sight. For close in use I put a streamlight/laser combo on the tri-rail handguard. I also added flip up adjustable iron sights (co-witnessed with the Eotech and laser for backup) and a tactical sling. This gun also has an adjustable gas piston that can be set for lighter loads. If you get the version with the tri-rail handguard, just make sure you don't put a pistol grip on the front or you have a gun that will need to registered with the ATF. Adding a rear stock turns it into an SBR. All NFA rules apply. It is concealable under a longish coat with the tactical sling, but I wouldn't recommend using it this way--much too heavy and awkward for a concealed carry gun. The biggest downside is for this gun set up this way you are looking at a couple grand. I think the gun alone runs around $1400. It is a bit more complex to clean than the standard AR but no overly so. The bolt assembly is not interchangeable with standard AR bolts and it will not work with a standard suppressor--but supposedly Rock River has a suppressor for it in development. development.

When your finished with the build top it off with Law Tactical 20151004_105919.jpg folding adapter.

And carry it in the 511 tactical .... select carry sling bag. Google it and you'll buy it, I did. On sale on the 511 site, 72 bks. 94 for the whole kit.

When I set out to build an AR pistol. I wanted just that, a pistol. I did not want to play around with a mid length barrel that looked like a carbine minus a stock. 10-14 inch barrels. So I wanted to make it as short as I could. I went with a 7" barrel and the shortest recoils system I could find. The recoil system I have uses the inside of the bolt carrier as well as what buffer tube I have. It is only about 5" long. Plus I wanted to stay with .223. Recently I have seen 300 black out pistol uppers on Calguns.net. Anyway, here is mine.

buffertube_zpsjmfgn3bm.jpg

Sure, SBRs allow you to legally shoulder it, but why when you can cheek weld the brace/buffer tube? Its $200 less AND you can put that towards more ammo and mags or parts or optic

As fun as my SBR is, I find myself shooting and packing my AK pistols instead.

Build one unless you found a complete one for a decent price. As you build it, you can tailor it to you..especially before this next political session which is sure to make finding parts difficult if not impossible.

On the plus side, you can sell off everything should you not want it, they'll always be in demand.
Buffer tube, FCG, upper and BCG..etc and lastly a little lower you can trade
Or sell off.

I agree with the above posts though, the AR pistol will tide you over until or if you choose to SBR it. Personally Id leave it as a pistol.

Totally agree, with all the pros and cons. Traveling or if the day comes and you need traveling Money fast you will run into hang ups... your Married to it pretty much.

The government's now into your Marriage. LOL

FEMA will be at your door saying they are there to help you, as soon as you turn over your SBR! They will give you food shelter and a trailer inside of a barbed wired enclosure.

I'm not going to jump on the short barrel is less accurate bandwagon. The bullet comes out slower to be sure . I can't get over 2500 FPS with my 10.5 running 62 grain Nosslers and 2400 running the 69's. If theres a better powder for short barrels than 4198 I'm certainly not aware of it. Doesnt cost any more to reload than anything else. Speed is not accuracy though. The bullet stabilizes just fine out of a 10.5" 1:7 barrel though and I can handily pick up under 1 inch groups at 100 yards. With a marginally good scope (not a red dot with little or no magnification) if you do your part you can shoot every bit as good as a long barrel just not as long of a range. I keep a 4-12X scope on mine and it shoots every bit as good as I can shoot.

FWIW the ATF never reversed its position on the SIG brace. The ATF said it could be used as designed if that design actually meant it was an arm brace . It never said it could be shouldered. That would be a buttstock. Their "clarification" letter was to force home the fact that the sig brace was not a buttstock and to use it as such would be to using it as an SBR which of course makes total sense legally. I like SIG products and I appreciate what they are trying to do by thumbing their corporate noses at the ATF but that thing was never really designed to be an arm brace. Its just a means of skirting the law.

2 thumbs up!
Even moving at 1950fps I CANNT out run it ! LMAO

And you concealed handgun permit applies to it also.

Yeah, it will hurt without hearing protection, but a tad bit less than being shot, or something else....
I have fired an AR in doors, and its a loud SOB.

Honestly, I don't think a 10.5 is really much if at all any louder than a 16"

Had an ear plug fall out after the start buzzer went off, stage started with you shooting targets from inside a car.....

A 45 is Damm loud inside a car! Went to ear muffs after that for those stages. LM deaf AO!

I enjoy my PTR91 PDW pistol in 7.62x39, I added a ar15 buffer tube adapter and buffer tube for a Thorsden cheek rest, didnt go SB15 because of all the controversy about "shouldering". The pistol was nearly impossible to aim and fire without the buffer tube. no need to SBR. 2015-11-02 09.17.30.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top