JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Should I get an AR pistol?

• YES

Votes: 54 74.0%
  • NO

Votes: 19 26.0%

• Total voters
Definitions change with politics. Like many things gun related.......those will eventually be deemed over the line. Looks pretty obvious that they are designed to be shoulder mounted. I cut my teeth on a GAU5......something that you probably never heard of......but it is similar to Jordanvraptors Commando. It is one of the handiest weapons on the planet and I am building another one now but it is deffinatly not a pistol. All it will take is a change in definition by the ATF (do you remember removable magazine SKS?) and your folding stock AR pistols will be illegal.

They wont be illegal. He'll just have to register them in the NFA as Form 1 SBR's or take the goofy stock things off. No big deal. Ive got AR 4 SBR's and a "pistol" . The AR pistol is just something I keep in the truck 'cause I would rather not lose the SBR's and I can keep the pistol loaded.

Talk you out of it? OK... once you build one you'll get the urge to build MORE.

Mine under construction:
20171024_005423.jpg
Lower's an 80% awaiting machining, left side has a CAA mag-carrier, right-side a FAB Defense VTS thumbrest positioned to place thumbtip right on light switch. Barrel is an Andro Corp/Ballistic Advantage 10.3" NSWC Crane-spec Mk 18; handguard Vltor CASV-EL; buffer is Vltor A5 system. Muzzle brake is Precision Armament AFAB-556 covered by FAB Defense MC556 muzzle cap; grips are FAB PTK (fore) and AGF-43S folder (main); Diamondhead rear BUIS; FAB polymer ejection door with V Seven rod; Aero upper and FA assembly. Toolcraft black-nitride BCG.

Not pictured: Indian Creek BFD blast deflector (awaiting bayonet-lug chop-off); Arisaka Mossie mount (need to order) for attaching low-power navigation light to FSP; Olight PL-1 II 450-lumen "dazzler" flashlight (right-side top; on order); Lasermax green-beam laser (top-left behind magazine) and tape-switch (right-side palmrest area; both awaiting funds to order); DI Optical FC1 red-dot sight (awaiting funds); LAW Tactical sidefolder (awaiting funds); SB Tactical brace with new SB mag-carrier and SB-Sac saddlebags to replace Shockwave Blade (all awaiting funds).

The girlfriend wants a right-handed version of this if I can ever get another CASV-EL, and I'm already penciling out builds for a "true" Mk 18, a Canadian C8 CQB, a 12.5" GL/SSC-ish build, and a few other ideas.

Last Edited:
Definitions change with politics. Like many things gun related.......those will eventually be deemed over the line. Looks pretty obvious that they are designed to be shoulder mounted. I cut my teeth on a GAU5......something that you probably never heard of......but it is similar to Jordanvraptors Commando. It is one of the handiest weapons on the planet and I am building another one now but it is deffinatly not a pistol. All it will take is a change in definition by the ATF (do you remember removable magazine SKS?) and your folding stock AR pistols will be illegal.

...and how will that "bite me in the bubblegum"?
This is a discussion on what is currently a legal firearm. These are all legal firearms, if the legality of these firearms changes in the future the situation can easily be re-assessed.

Petroleum burning vehicles will also be illegal at some point... You better go get rid of all of yours while you still can :rolleyes:

They wont be illegal. He'll just have to register them in the NFA as Form 1 SBR's or take the goofy stock things off. No big deal. Ive got AR 4 SBR's and a "pistol" . The AR pistol is just something I keep in the truck 'cause I would rather not lose the SBR's and I can keep the pistol loaded.
You do recognize that NFA weapons are not legal in every state? How far do you think Washington and Oregon are behind California (where all NFA is illegal) in politics? Washington already has laws against things like full auto parts and kits. Another thread here talked about the Washington legislature only being one seat away from totally loosing control of reasonable gun laws. It won't be long........all your NFA weapons will be illegal on the entire west coast. You don't have enough votes or clout to prevent it.

They can refund my tax stamps then. Thats where it gets difficult for the state legally. They can't outright ban NFA stuff without dealing with the feds. They can ban and grandfather but thats about it. Thats why most of my stuff is NFA at this point.

FWIW California has more legal machine guns in civilian hands than Washington ( where they used to be legal too ) does. The grandfathered ones stayed in private hands and by the letter of the law machine guns are still legal in California. The CA DOJ wont approve any new permit applications.

Last Edited:
I haven't read this thread yet, but I will. I just voted an thought I'd give my own two cents worth.
I like to shoot rifles, and by that I mean bolt action rifles. I like to talk a lot about my favorite, a Ruger 30-06.
In 2015 when this thread started I would have voted differently than I did now and would have wondered,"Why the heck anyone would want an AR pistol?" I thought they were stupid (the pistol, not so much the person). As a matter of fact, I didn't have much use for an AR15, but had some interest in an AR10. Mind you, I'd never shot any of them.
At some point after that I was shooting with some friends and had a chance to shoot an AR15. Yeah, that was cool, but still no interest. Then an AR10. It was a nice DPMS (if I remember correctly) piston gun. This one got my more of my attention. It was a bit heavy, but packed a fair amount of power. And a fairly powerful price tag.

Then the AR15 SBR came out...

I wasn't sure if I should let my 30-06 know I had cheated on it. This short barreled little thing just clicked with me. Shooting it was like eating candy! Oh, I could have shot it for hours.
I wasn't too thrilled with the legal hoops, though.

A while back I bought an AR15 pistol with a Sig brace on it with an 11.5" barrel. It came with an optic and some decent sights. I couldn't be happier. It's almost everything the SBR was without the legal implications. I don't shoot much and hadn't shot it for several months until I took it out both days last weekend. I enjoyed every single pull of the trigger.

I know not everyone likes the same kind of stuff, but I'd say to give one a try. I had no clue what I was missing until I shot the right one.

You do recognize that NFA weapons are not legal in every state? How far do you think Washington and Oregon are behind California (where all NFA is illegal) in politics? Washington already has laws against things like full auto parts and kits. Another thread here talked about the Washington legislature only being one seat away from totally loosing control of reasonable gun laws. It won't be long........all your NFA weapons will be illegal on the entire west coast. You don't have enough votes or clout to prevent it.
So I'll take the brace off. Still not bit in the bubblegum.

AR pistol's are awesome. Don't waste your time and money on a tax stamp though. There are plenty of "braces" out there that don't look goofy, and they function great, plus the ATF has changed their position on shouldering them, it's totally legal to shoulder them.

AR pistol's are awesome. Don't waste your time and money on a tax stamp though. There are plenty of "braces" out there that don't look goofy, and they function great, plus the ATF has changed their position on shouldering them, it's totally legal to shoulder them.
Wow, I just realized this post is a few years old. Nice

Definitions dont change with politics, they change with political agendas
You sound really confused right now...
Firearms laws arent going backwards!? im semi-young (34), gun laws arent going backwards, with all the aftermarket stuff. I can see how people dont understand what they are looking at when it comes to what firearms are classified as, pistol, rifle, other. But your a gun guy and it sounds like you want firearms to be limited more.
I lived thru the Hi-Cap Mag ban as well as the Assault weapons ban, being old enough to watch them go away, the firearm market created huge empires since those bans, Mapgul didnt even exist as a magazine company, SB tactical is another creative company that jumped on a unforseen market within the firearms industry, Mako and Fab defense are other companies that have some real cutting edge ideas. But you look at these companies and see products to be banned?!?
These companys looked at laws and made products within the laws, and your basically saying they creatied products that are themselves loopholes?? But thats not true. or your saying in a short time they will be banned some how because of what???
Because they are creative and the designers were thinking "outside of the box".

I think the government would have a easier time going back to the Hi-Cap mag ban and assault weapons ban since they were already in place at one time.
Even if by some Demo-miracle they were to ban production the old ones are still out there. And the feds wouldnt be able to act like California and tell people the items they own are banned and they have to a date in time to destroy them or hand them over.
Sometimes people ...

From a legal perspective, I think you are better off with cheek rests. They are designed for the use, and ATF has signed off on them for that use. The third point of contact gives you the desired result - more accuracy.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top