JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
View attachment 264417 Here are my two choices.
A Blackjack number 5. A 5 1/2 inch carbon steel blade , stacked leather handle and made in the U.S.A
This knife served me well , while I was in the Army.
A Camillus "Demo" knife. It has all the tools I need.
Andy
Did you just join to show off all your cool muzzle guns,bows and knives?
Hope so cause we appreciate it,please post more
I'm getting tired of all the black guns

Glad you like 'em mjbskwim.
Did the black gun thing when I was younger and of course in the Army as well..'till I was issued a M21.
Nothing against them or those that like 'em , just not for me.
Will be posting more for sure.
Andy

I believe that knives, even the expensive/pretty ones, should be users. That Blackjack #5 typifies what I mean. It's good looking, has obviously seen a lot of miles, but has been well cared for and is in beautiful shape. I never could leave a nice gun or knife in a display case and not try using it. :)

If you had the choice, you'd have more than one survival blade, something big and something small. But if limited to one, a durable fixed blade of moderate size would be a great choice.

Fixed blades are the norm over here. The local leather guy said he'd lose an hour a day if he had a folder to open every time he needed a knife.
I have a bunch of knives 'on display' Nothing real fancy but some I don't care to use. I have plenty of working knives ,so I can leave some alone.
Now guns.Everything except my Dad's guns get used or sold.I like fancy guns like other peoples children. Nice to be around but I'll leave them with the owners,lol. I don't have the money to have guns on display

Bear Grylls is a tosser.

If you are going to quote me then put your own words outside of the quote so they are not attributed to me.:eek:

For the record, I don't care whether he is or not. I don't watch his shows and I don't buy products just because his name is on them. I mentioned his name because it is in the model name for the knife, no other reason. :rolleyes:

I notice that some like a partially serrated edge and others don't. I think the serrations scrapped sideways down a dry stick make the best tinder bundles for fire starting! The shavings are very fine/thin and if you can get a coal or flame on them they will light.

I like having a serrated edge on my knives, I do. What bugs me is that none of the SELLERS of the knives I prefer for daily carry IE Benchmade / ZT etc will sharpen the blades :(

I like having a serrated edge on my knives, I do. What bugs me is that none of the SELLERS of the knives I prefer for daily carry IE Benchmade / ZT etc will sharpen the blades :(
Spiderco did make a 3 sided serrated blade stone.Even has a hook groove.I say 'did' because I've had mine for years and not sure they still make it. But I'm pretty sure a corner would fit most brands of knives

I'm a die hard straight edge guy after being a pro serrated guy for a long time.

Once I learned a few tips about edge maintenance and realized I could have a pocket knife almost as sharp as a good katana I converted.

I have 2 cutco hunting knives I love but wish that they were not serrated.

It's interesting to see that old non-serrated CS Carbon V Trailmaster cut a mile (well) a rope and still remain sharp.
I don't sharpen my knives because of cutting rope, it is because of cutting other stuff. I do find that serrations cut stuff like rope a lot easier than a plain edge though and that I do use serrations for such tasks and I've never had to sharpen the serrations.

I do have one of these hanging around somewhere:

Smith's PP1 Pocket Pal Multifunction Sharpener

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O8OTNC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

The rod for this is supposed to be able to sharpen serrations.

I do find that serrations sometimes get in the way of some tasks. It is a mixed bag, but I would rather have them most of the time than not.

For my Knife situation I always carry a old school Bowie in a 12 in blade full tang! it can and does most hard jobs with out much trouble. I can dig, chop, batton, and throw as good or better with that then any thing else, plus its a good fighting knife as you can stap, slash, and slap very hard with it! Keep in mind that in the wilderness you are not the ultimate predator, and its the tools you have on you that will give you a fighting chance! I also like a nice KBar size fixed blade knife ( about 8 to 9 inch blade full tang), good for pretty much every day wilderness chores. A good folder with a strong lock is also a nice thing to have. All my knives are custom hand made demascas steel and hold an edge better then any other steel there is, and will not chip like other metal! something you want to consider. Try Tooth and Nail knives. they make some of the nicest knives for a reasonable price! I have several and have never had any trouble with any of them! By the way, learn to sharpen your knife by hand on a wet stone. I use and swear by India stones. they are a lot finer then Arkansas and give you a super sharp fine edge. The more coarse Arkansas stones will be able to sharpen your ax. Finnish both with a strop and you will be good to go!:confused:

what is some good survival knifes???

I like ESEE knives, the have the ESEE 5 and the RAT 3,

I went through a Becker BK2, and Gerber LMF 2, I found the Becker scales a bit too thick and smooth. The LMF would not hold a decent edge after initial use. The ESEE knives are made of 1095 steel, and have stood up to everything.

I also have a British Army Martindale No2 Machete, which is really a Golok, and a few Tramontina Machete's the Tramontina are cheap but super durable and, as far as I'm concerned, some of the best machetes around.

+1 on the Falkniven knives, in all their myriad sizes and shapes. All are outstanding, and their SV30(+) and VG10 steels are some of the best in the world.

I do not like Busse knives as they are outstanding quality but without any finesse .... just slabs. The Fehrman First Strike is an outstanding combat-survival knife. I have also had several knives made (large and small) by Barry Dawson of Prescott AZ, in various steels including Damascus, 440C, and 154CM.

My multi-tools are all Leatherman.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads