JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think that the kind of person who would rob another is a coward, and is looking for the victim who is weak and who he percieves as easy prey. I think my Spikes AR on my shoulder with my kimber on my hip gives the impression that I am anything but easy prey.

You are very easy prey to a gang or even an individual who sees you first. In a situation like that, people wouldn't think anything of shooting you in the back for that equipment. You want to look as poor and uninteresting as possible, but be ready to defend yourself if needed.

I think that the kind of person who would rob another is a coward, and is looking for the victim who is weak and who he percieves as easy prey. I think my Spikes AR on my shoulder with my kimber on my hip gives the impression that I am anything but easy prey.

We have a guy named Selco who lived through the worst imaginable SHTF in Bosnia for about 4 years. Things still aren't good there and he's still there. Read his thread and his blog, and get back to me.

http://shtfschool.com/

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=189395

If one has such a strict budget, think about a Hi-point pistol and carbine combination. Again, the object of this exercise is bang for very little buck.

I have a pair of hi point pistols. I don't actually like them all that much for regular shooting. But they definitely go bang every time I pull the trigger, and they cost $400 for the pair of them, one in .45 and one in 9mm.

I also have a hipoint carbine in 9mm. I actually REALLY like it.

I will be trading up for a hipoint carbine in .40 because I normally carry a Glock model 22 in .40. I gave my brother one carbine in 9mm for his birthday, gonna give my sis and bro in law the other 9mm carbione for Xmas.

Forgive the zombie revival of this thread but...

For $300 - a simple bolt action .22 - these can be had NEW for $150 or less from the likes of Marlin, Mossberg, Savage, etc. I bought a "youth" model single shot .22 for just over $100 a couple years back - it was a Marlin, had stainless hardware and a laminate stock with high visibility irons. Nice little gun. Could be scoped if you chose, but the irons were good enough at small game ranges. He could get 2 of these, and about $100 in .22lr (which would be something like 3000 rounds or more, depending on what kind of ammo you're getting)

For $700 - I'd go for a used Glock, Ruger, CZ, or Smith & Wesson handgun, and at least a couple hundred rounds of ball ammo. This would probably eat $500 for that budget. I'd spend the other $200 on the afore mentioned .22 rifle and ammo

For a grand - I'd be looking at stocking up on some guns and altering things a bit. $300 would go for a pair of .22 rifles and as much ammo as the rest of that $300 could get. Then I'd pick up at least a used 9mm handgun and ammo for it (lets say you get a Ruger P-89 and 300 rounds of ammo for $400). The remaining $300 I'd spend on a pair of Mosin Nagant rifles (the last one I bought was $90) and as much ammo as I could get for them. In a real desperate SHTF scenario, hunting regs would be the last of my concern, and the Wolf 7.62R FMJ would be fine for killing anything that lives on this continent OR spend that last $300 on a used 12ga pump gun and an assortment of ammo - sticking with the 2.5" rounds - and mix of slugs and #4 buck shot, and probably 2 or 4 boxes of bird shot as well. This could cover hunting and personal defense on anything from pidgeons to people.

An alternative would be to buy a .22 rifle for every member of the household, a thousand rounds of ammo for each - then spending the remaining $450 or so on a used 9mm pistol and ammo. That way everyone HAS a gun that can be used to take game, and have something for defense that is marginally better than a sharp stick - and Dad can have his pistol for when he has to do more serious work, or has to go on a supply run and can have a concealed handgun with him in case things get bad.

300 - Ruger 10/22. Spend the rest on Ammo and an Otis Cleaning kit. Ruger is about 180 bucks at Bi Mart. Otis cleaning kit is 25 bucks I think. Leaving 95 bucks for Ammo. 500 rounds of .22 is 14.99 at Bi Mart. Getting you 6 bricks of 500 rounds each. That is 3000 rounds of ammo.

700 - add in a Mossberg 500a in 12 guage. Mossberg is about 270 at various locations. 25 rounds of birdshot is 5.00. You can get 26 boxes of additional birdshot with the 225 left over. That is 660 rounds of Shotgun ammo. That is about 1/3 the way to being semi ready with a shotty. Might want to get some Slugs and Buckshot later on

1000 - add in a Springfield XDm in .45 acp. Springfield XDm is about 450 bucks. 45 acp ammo is about 12.99 for 25 rounds of the cheap stuff. You will have to NOT get as much ammo with the other two guns right off the bat if you so this all at one time.

It is really that simple. Here is a trick I used to build up my ammo supply as well as my families while still enjoying shooting and becoming proficient.

We go out shooting, keeping in mind our budget. When we are done we go right down to Bi Mart/Dicks/Ammo Supply Spot and replenish everything we shot up, PLUS half again as much as we just used.

Example, we went shooting this weekend. We shot 2000 rounds of 22 ammo. On the way home we stop at Bi Mart and buy 3000 rounds of ammo to replace and enhance our supply. The extra 30 bucks is not really that noticable and it spreads the cost of building up over a longer period of time.

If I get a bit of disposable cash, I spend a bunch on ammo. THEN I spend some on new guns or assesories. Cleaning supplies are a must and we stock up on those in the same way. Sure you can clean your weapon without supplies but supplies make it SO much better....

Labelng an opponent a coward will not stop them from shooting you in the back

$300- he could buy 2- Glenfield Model 60s used and $100-$150 worth of .22 ammo (Used Glenfields are $60-$100ea)

$700 See above and add a used Glock 9mm for $350 and $50 in ammoz.

$1000 See above and add $200 pump shotgun and $100 in various shotgun shells.(Slugs for deer, Buckshot for defense, #6 for birds)

This way you have large game, small birds/squirrels, and intruders covered.

Dang, I'd love to get a used Glock 9mm for $350. The few times I see them that low, they're already gone!

I didn't focus on quantity, but more of a focus on capacity and proven guns. If it's really a survival scenario and not a pseudo-stressful environment, the open carry of guns will be common. In a stressful and tense environment, concealed carry is more appropriate, but that's not what I would call SHTF.

$300 SKS

$700 WASR-10 AK47, Ruger 10/22

$1000 S&W M&P15 Sport, Glock 17

I'm reading the OP's post like what would you buy if you had $300, $400 more and finally $300 more. I'm just focusing on weapons (he'll have to scare up ammo with some other funds!)

I'm a fan of used guns - so few get shot routinely by their owners that they'll ever get worn out.

Shotgun first. Versatile, pumps are tough to break. Lots of inexpensive Mossberg, Remington and Ithacas out there...12 ga
Semi-auto rifle for $400. Commie guns are robust and inexpensive. Old Marlins are plentiful. SKS, AK, 336...7.62 or .30-30
Handgun for $300. Last ditch type of weapon, gotta be close to use it. I'd go for a used PD revolver in .38/.357 (common again)

That's how I'd try to work it with those monetary constraints. Thankfully I have more gun money than that!

I'm with Gunner, under the radar is the best way to go. There is a show on NatGeo about preppers. These people are showing what the are stocking on national television, and saying that they are no more than 20 feet from a firearm. IDIOT's this is the first place the crackheads are going to go. Oh and hey guys, taking pics of your closet stuffed with ammo.:s0123:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top