JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, here's a hypothetical scenario:

A guy at work has been getting into prepping - nothing major, but he's getting a start with all the basics (food/water/gear). He doesn't currently own a gun, but has been thinking about getting something for prep purposes. He has some background with guns (hunter safety class as a kid, hunting w/ uncles, etc.). Family is him, wife, teenage daughter & pre-teen son. They live in a tract-home suburb, on the outskirts of a major city - 20 minute drive you're in town; 20 minute drive the other way you're in the country/woods.

What gun(s) & ammo would you recommend he purchase under the following budgets?

$300 Budget
$700 Budget
$1000 Budget

Please explain your rationale for different suggestions (not just a list).

300 dollar budget is easy, a good 22LR rifle and plenty of ammo to train him and his wife and kids, plus enough to store. With a 700 dollar budget, add a 12 gauge shot gun, something with a shorter barrel that can be used for home defense. 1000 budget, add a good 308 bolt gun to the mix, find something used with a good scope on in. It will be good for hunting if he ever needs to do that. It's easy to handle and since it's a super popular caliber right now, ammo can be had in just about any price range.

Some other guns that will work for low budget needs are Moisin-Nagant, SKS rifles, Makarov , Czech CZ-83 or 82 handguns and Savage offers a low cost semi-auto .22 for less than $150, H&R offers single shot shotguns for around $110. All of these are very dependable and available. Ammo for all of them is abundant at this time. You could do worse.

$300:
Used .22 rifle, good for small game and teaching the fundamentals of marksmanship to wife/kids. A decent used one can be had for around $100

A decent used 12 gauge pump shotgun. You will be able to pick up a 500 or the like for around $150-$200. This will be good for both small and large game as well as self defense.
Any leftover $$ can go towards ammo or cleaning supplies if you don't already have them.

$700
Choices are roughly the same but maybe throw a Mosin Nagant onto the list, (great choice when you need to take larger game at longer distances), then use the leftover $ for ammo, etc...

$1000
Buy a new .22 rifle, a new shotty, and an SKS. Use the leftover $ for ammo, supplies, etc...

You'll note that I didn't include an AR on the lists. Although it is my "go to" rifle for most applications, I think that given the financial constraints of this situation one would be better served by diversifying.
At the $1000 level you would probably be able to buy/build a pretty decent AR, plus magazines, optic, and still have a bit leftover for ammo, cleaning supplies, but if you have only one rifle and something goes wrong with it, then you have no rifle, and that would suck.

$300: a shotgun and ammo. Shotgun is most versatile weapon for HD and hunting and at $300 you're only going to have one longarm with at least a little money for ammo.

$700: I'd add a handgun. Obviously usable (preferred by some) for HD. In any SHTF or civil disorder situation, having something you can carry that doesn't draw attention could be key.

$1000: I'd add a used hunting rifle in .308. Good hunting caliber and when he gets his next $1k, he can add a .308 battle rifle. Which, I'd argue is better than an AR or AK in a suburban/rural area.

Finally--have him spend $20 and read Boston t. Party's "Gun Bible" he has a whole section on constructing your "battery" based upon how much money you have. Plus, lots of other really good info on guns.

Without a doubt, pick up a .22. It's great for practice and since the ammunition is cheap, you can pick up a lot of it. Which will allow you to use it for smaller game.

A handgun of any sort as it's easier to conceal and much easier to carry when you are going out back to get some firewood from the shed or whatever else.

One of the biggest thngs that is emphasized is picking firearms that use the most common types of ammunition. The less common stuff won't be as readily available as time goes by.

If you want true "survival", i.e. society collapses and you need to acquire your own food, and potentially defend yourself from "bandits", I'd say find yourself one of the more common Russian WW2-era guns like a Mosin-Nagant or SKS. Can be found for less than $200 each, leaving you with $100 for ammunition.

(Of course, if you *REALLY* want to go "full zombie invasion" survivalist, you'll want the SGM Tactical 75-round magazine for an SKS...)

OK so we have all the reasons listed for each gun,right?

$300 can get you a 22lr rifle and a nice 20 or 12 gauge shotgun.Not a great shotgun but it will get you both those guns.

$700 I'm gunna get a 357 or a 9mm handgun with the above 2 guns.

At $1000 you could upgrade the shotgun to a better pump or semi auto and throw in the Mosin/surplus rifle,with the handgun and 22

YMMV as to which gun you want the nicest.But it should be the one he shoots the best.

If new:

$300: Mossberg 500 combo (2 barrels) @ $269. 12ga or 20ga. Reliable, good for urban defense and a variety of hunting situations.

$700: Add a revolver in 357 or .38 with the remaining $430. Taurus, Ruger LCR, or whatever is available in that price range. Everyone needs a concealable handgun.

$1000. With the $300 left, get a Marlin 795 22LR for $139 (reliable and accurate). Use the rest to buy ammo. (Or add a Mosin if one thinks they need a larger caliber rifle.)

One thing Id think about is when SHTF you wont be able to get replacement parts for much, unless you know somebody that knows somebody. Anyway I went with the AK platform for several reasons one being if I broke something ( the stock ect,ect) I belive it would be "easier" to take another off of a dead man layin on the ground and fix mine. Its almost like buying a Bug Out Vehicle. You would but wouldnt want this Shot Show 2011 bug out vehicle - YouTube, personally Id want a ford 150 or a common Chevy for spare parts (diesel of course).

On a side note when looking at AK's (which i wish I knew before) check out the Ak 74. Had I know this Id probably have gone with the Ak 74 because the ammo is super cheap. You can find 5.45 x 39 Russian AK74 Ammo 1080 Round Case $169 Delivered to the lower 48!!! Thats just amaizing if you ask me.....I found a case of 7.62x39 at a local gunshop for $230. I thought that was pretty cheap, but the smaller 5.45x39 just blows that outta the water!!!

sorry kinda went TOTALLY off the subject, but my point is to get something that theres a million of and the ammo is cheap...

300: (used ok?) used 10/22 and lots of ammo.
700: add a used pump 12 guage and ammo
1000: add a used 9mm handgun and ammo.

I kinda figure the whole SHTF thing is going to be like the liberator pistol. Any old piece of crap will get you the possible ability to get a BETTER gun, and ammo.
I really don't see extended firefights happening, although who really knows, right?

Not much to add here, I agree a .22, a 12 or 20 gauge ( I prefer 12 ga. but may have too much kick for some), .308 rifle or at minimum a 30-30. Also, a hand gun .38 revolver, 9mm auto or .40 cal. auto all are pretty common make a nice hole and have plenty of knock down power. Preferrably new but if you can buy a good quality used guns from a reliable soucre go for it. This will save you some $$$$. Ammo, cases and cleaning supplies.

Before you buy a gun google the Manufacturer with model and type in review, or ask on here. Ex. Glock model 22 reviews, you will get lots of pro's and con's.

In the $700 category something like a .357 revolver and a Marlin 1894 in .357 is a useful combo.

-d

The ability to use common ammo would be nice, kind of like in the Old West. The only downside some people would say is "If you're going to carry the weight of a rifle you might as well have a rifle caliber". Still, a .357 bullet coming out of a 16" barrel is really moving and at defensive ranges/short hunting ranges would be very potent.

$300- he could buy 2- Glenfield Model 60s used and $100-$150 worth of .22 ammo (Used Glenfields are $60-$100ea)

$700 See above and add a used Glock 9mm for $350 and $50 in ammoz.

$1000 See above and add $200 pump shotgun and $100 in various shotgun shells.(Slugs for deer, Buckshot for defense, #6 for birds)

This way you have large game, small birds/squirrels, and intruders covered.

In the $700 category something like a .357 revolver and a Marlin 1894 in .357 is a useful combo.

-d

The thought on caliber ommonality is a good one. But once you get past the initial ouple of firearms I would buy different calibers, that way in a SHTF situation if you cannot find one caliber you may be able to find another. it will also help in a trade situation where you are trading with others, they may not have a .357 what they might have is a 30-30 rifle or 9mm handgun.

http://www.gunlistings.org/state-vi...ategory=&type=&search_btn.x=39&search_btn.y=6

Last Edited:
Good suggestions regarding the .357 setups. I was keeping in mind the age range of the o.p. and the experience level. I know some of the Hornady ammo for the .357 is pretty amazing. I would certainly agree that having the common calibers is a good idea. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top