JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I can's find a straight answer to my question by Google search so I thought maybe someone on here would know.

If you shoot regular .22 ammo through a suppressed gun that has a 4" barrel ( like a Walther p22) will it still have a sonic boom? i could have sworn I read that somewhere.

Thanks.

It all depends on the velocity of the round you are shooting and your location and temperature.

"The speed of sound (at sea-level) is 1,125 fps at 68 degrees F. So it depends on the specific loading. The high-velocity and hyper-velocity loadings do. The various standard velocity loadings will deliver around 1100-1140 fps so they'll either be moving just about at the speed of sound or right under it. Odds are these will produce the crack associated with a super-sonic round, but that depends on exactly how hot the manufacturer loads them, how far above sea-level you are, and what the temperature is. Subsonic .22LR rounds are obviously slower than the speed of sound." Copied from another forum.

Beyer? the barrel builder in Forks? I asked him why a silencer would be quieter on a p22 than on a 10-22.The p22 is a 3.5" barrel.
He said any load will be sub sonic in a 3.5" barrel and confirmed my idea that it takes about 16 inches to fully burn the 22's powder (+ - )

My friend's p22 has less report than my air gun. Actually way less of a crack.

Truly a silenced weapon.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads