Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Suppressor question

Discussion in 'NFA Weapon Discussion' started by flybynyt, Feb 14, 2012.

1. flybynyt

flybynyt Battleground, WA Active Member

I can's find a straight answer to my question by Google search so I thought maybe someone on here would know.

If you shoot regular .22 ammo through a suppressed gun that has a 4" barrel ( like a Walther p22) will it still have a sonic boom? i could have sworn I read that somewhere.

Thanks.

2. oregonty

oregonty Salem, OR Active Member

It all depends on the velocity of the round you are shooting and your location and temperature.

"The speed of sound (at sea-level) is 1,125 fps at 68 degrees F. So it depends on the specific loading. The high-velocity and hyper-velocity loadings do. The various standard velocity loadings will deliver around 1100-1140 fps so they'll either be moving just about at the speed of sound or right under it. Odds are these will produce the crack associated with a super-sonic round, but that depends on exactly how hot the manufacturer loads them, how far above sea-level you are, and what the temperature is. Subsonic .22LR rounds are obviously slower than the speed of sound." Copied from another forum.

3. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

No

4. flybynyt

flybynyt Battleground, WA Active Member

OK, that ,makes sense. Thanks for the info.

5. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Generally any HV .22 ammo out of a 5" or less barrel will stay subsonic. Again this is a general rule and is variable.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  6. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Beyer? the barrel builder in Forks? I asked him why a silencer would be quieter on a p22 than on a 10-22.The p22 is a 3.5" barrel.
    He said any load will be sub sonic in a 3.5" barrel and confirmed my idea that it takes about 16 inches to fully burn the 22's powder (+ - )

My friend's p22 has less report than my air gun. Actually way less of a crack.

Truly a silenced weapon.

7. Dan-Dee Sales Inc

Dan-Dee Sales Inc Sweet Home, Oregon, United States Active Member

we shot a 4' last weekend and it was dirt quiet with mini-mags