JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been tasked with making a sub-sonic load for a rifle with a can on it. Does the can add velocity like barrel length does? My gut level instinct says no because the gasses are venting into the can. What say you all with greater experience in such matters. I plan on getting the CV Arms single shot and having the barrel cut to 16" and threaded but thought I could do the load development while I wait for the suppressor to get out of jail.

I've been tasked with making a sub-sonic load for a rifle with a can on it. Does the can add velocity like barrel length does? My gut level instinct says no because the gasses are venting into the can. What say you all with greater experience in such matters. I plan on getting the CV Arms single shot and having the barrel cut to 16" and threaded but thought I could do the load development while I wait for the suppressor to get out of jail.
There can be a slight gain in muzzle velocity, but it is typically very marginal (like 20fps or less if you are lucky).

The concept is called Free Bore Boost, the idea that the velocity will increase because there is still pressure behind it but there is no friction / drag from the rifling, and the short answer is *maybe*

The longer answer is that the amount of boost isn't likely to be enough to make a subsonic round go super/tran/sonic and if you are that close you should back off a bit anyway

Thank you, what you guys are telling me works with what I'm thinking. If I cut 8" off of a barrel I'll lose velocity but not gain it back with an 8" suppressor.

Echoing the other answers, it will change velocity enough to impact POI at longer ranges, it should not be enough to bump a subsonic round to super if you are maintaining healthy margins. All my research indicates that at most under optimal conditions you should see a ~30fps boost, but I think in real world conditions it will be much less than that.

I have several cans on the way and I look forwards to validating these metrics for myself.

Or just start off with the right cases for the rifle and develop rifle ammo for the rifle.
I load 44 mag subsonic for a couple suppressed rifles. You have loaded more ammo than I have Mike, but if you want any feedback on what I have tried, and settled on for loads after testing for accuracy and measuring velocity and consistency with a chronograph, drop me a message.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top