JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I can's find a straight answer to my question by Google search so I thought maybe someone on here would know.

If you shoot regular .22 ammo through a suppressed gun that has a 4" barrel ( like a Walther p22) will it still have a sonic boom? i could have sworn I read that somewhere.

Thanks.

It all depends on the velocity of the round you are shooting and your location and temperature.

"The speed of sound (at sea-level) is 1,125 fps at 68 degrees F. So it depends on the specific loading. The high-velocity and hyper-velocity loadings do. The various standard velocity loadings will deliver around 1100-1140 fps so they'll either be moving just about at the speed of sound or right under it. Odds are these will produce the crack associated with a super-sonic round, but that depends on exactly how hot the manufacturer loads them, how far above sea-level you are, and what the temperature is. Subsonic .22LR rounds are obviously slower than the speed of sound." Copied from another forum.

Beyer? the barrel builder in Forks? I asked him why a silencer would be quieter on a p22 than on a 10-22.The p22 is a 3.5" barrel.
He said any load will be sub sonic in a 3.5" barrel and confirmed my idea that it takes about 16 inches to fully burn the 22's powder (+ - )

My friend's p22 has less report than my air gun. Actually way less of a crack.

Truly a silenced weapon.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top