Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Suggest polymer, sub-compact EDC w/stainless slide.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by PlayboyPenguin, Oct 30, 2009.

1. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I am wanting to pic up a polymer carry gun with a stainless slide foe the days I am wearing a hoodie and do not need to scale sown to my Kahr PM40. Basically what I am wanting is a carry polymer with a little more capacity. I am considering a Springer XD40 Sub-Compact Bi-tone.

Anyone else have a suggestion? Keep in mind I want a sub-compact length grip. The barrel can be 3"-4".

2. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

One gun I rarely see anyone think about; FNP-9m

3. SavageGerbil

SavageGerbil Salem, OR Active Member

I know this is kind of a cop-out suggestion, but if you're in the XD price range (4-500-ish) most of the weapons you find are going to be just peachy, I really like the way XD's fit my hand and the function in the one I owned was flawless regardless of what I fed it.

Its kinda hard to tell without trying if the bulk will drive you nuts IWB, if only it was socially acceptable to ask if you could stuff the merchandise down your pants at the store to see how it feels...

4. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

Kahr P40 or P45 with 2 mags.

I carry 2 mags anyway. Not for capacity, but because it is the most likely thing to fail when needed.

5. smithmax

smithmax here Member

USPc?

6. Intervention

Intervention NW Member

I'm glad somebody else is showing a little love to the FNP-9M, it's one of my favorite pistols. But it is not the best pistol for carry, due to lack of holster selection and the decocking levers are a bit bulky.

If you don't have to have a stainless slide my vote would go to the HK P2000sk, if you are stuck on stainless the XD is probably a pretty good choice.

7. PMKN_PI

PMKN_PI Milwaukie, Oregon, United States Active Member

Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro?

I have one, though mine is not a pro and its blued finish. But its a great gun. Not one problem since I bought it last April. Ive put about 200-250 rds thru it so far, not one hiccup.

8. skud_dusty

skud_dusty Salem, OR Active Member

I don't have one but I've always been intrigued by the Beretta PX4. They are available as a sub-compact, but doesn't look like you can get them as a factory bi-color.

9. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

This is my solution to that problem. XD40sc

XD40sc2.jpg

10. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

First rule about Fight Club.............

11. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

And the second rule of fight club...

12. jdub75

jdub75 PNW Well-Known Member

You checked out the S&W M&P compacts? They have a black stainless slide & shoot AWESOME. SO much so, I like shooting it much more than my Glock 22...less felt recoil...go figure. It fits my hand just perfect, too. It comes w/ 3 different back straps for the grip. It also is lighter than the xD's, and seems to be more 'compact.' (The xD's slide looks & feels too big imo). Its also made in America. I think the xD's have the lower imported?
    YMMV...just go get a feel for a few.

13. Trlsmn

Fixed! ;)

14. 9MilMan

9MilMan Milwaukie Active Member

We have a XD9 SC. Cannot say enough about the acccuracy and reliability of the firearm. Tough and user friendly. Haven't actually carried it though, as it is a bit heavier than I want to carry. We carry a Kahr CW9 or Walther PPS in .40.

15. Trlsmn

Are you the Borg?

16. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

Duh, everyone knows the Borg carry Glocks. It is the whole hive mind mentality. They are very susceptible to manipulative advertising. :)

17. s_ribs

s_ribs Tigard, OR Member

Agreed! I haven't shot one but played around with one at Sportsman's. That pistol will be high on my list when I can afford another pistol. It's gotten excellent reviews and seems to fill the void for guys that want a modern polymer gun but still have a traditional hammer.