JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Happy 2024 New Year to Everyone. And hope for the best this year.
I want to add that my Taurus G3X is not just it has a gap and but when I shake the firearm it has a clunking noise. The rattle noise is coming from slide and lower frame. The slide channel to be exact. (the barrel is intact with no noise at all). I put over thousands of rounds (roughly 5k) on this firearm. Besides that, it performs flawless even the feed ramp is iron butt shiny and I haven't even polished that yet since day 1.
I am very careful with my firearm, non abuse, I clean and lube everything that's needed and including every channel especially metal to metal. I am actually using the correct amount of light synthetic grease (light silicone grease) on all metal to metal friction especially channeling. This is one is 8 months old. Any takes?
Update:
01-02-2024 11:00 AM:
I just called Taurus and they said its normal for some firearms to have this. Any takes?

Close.jpg Open.jpg Port.jpg

If it was mine, I'd start with the recoil spring / guide rod assembly.

I have a G3c, G2c and PT-111 G2. No clunking sound like that in any of them.

But none of mine have 5000 rounds on them.

How many rounds did you fire before the clunking sound start (2000, 3000, 4000, 5000?).

After 5000 rounds it's time to replace the recoil spring / guide rod assembly anyway. 5000 rounds is the round count recommending by most striker-fired pistol manufacturers to replace the guide rod / spring assembly.

If your frame internals are solid and not moving around / rattling when you have the pistol field stripped, then the sound is coming from the slide assembly and the only parts that have the potential to move around enough to make that loud of a clunk are the barrel and recoil spring / guide rod assembly.

It could be that the barrel is held too loosely in the slide when the pistol is put back together, which would point to the recoil spring / guide rod assembly springs not putting enough tension on the barrel to hold it tightly in place.

Or, the internal rod is knocking around inside the external rod (this pistol has a double rod and double spring assembly - like a Glock).

But my money is on the springs just being worn out.

Even if you replace the guide rod / spring assembly and the clunking continues, it's still time for that assembly to be replaced so it's maintenance $ that is not wasted.

Today the guide rod / spring assembly on the Taurus website is $11.99 with $8.75 shipping. Inexpensive solution for a gun that is way better than it's low price suggests.

Good luck.

If it was mine, I'd start with the recoil spring / guide rod assembly.

I have a G3c, G2c and PT-111 G2. No clunking sound like that in any of them.

But none of mine have 5000 rounds on them.

How many rounds did you fire before the clunking sound start (2000, 3000, 4000, 5000?).

After 5000 rounds it's time to replace the recoil spring / guide rod assembly anyway. 5000 rounds is the round count recommending by most striker-fired pistol manufacturers to replace the guide rod / spring assembly.

If your frame internals are solid and not moving around / rattling when you have the pistol field stripped, then the sound is coming from the slide assembly and the only parts that have the potential to move around enough to make that loud of a clunk are the barrel and recoil spring / guide rod assembly.

It could be that the barrel is held too loosely in the slide when the pistol is put back together, which would point to the recoil spring / guide rod assembly springs not putting enough tension on the barrel to hold it tightly in place.

Or, the internal rod is knocking around inside the external rod (this pistol has a double rod and double spring assembly - like a Glock).

But my money is on the springs just being worn out.

Even if you replace the guide rod / spring assembly and the clunking continues, it's still time for that assembly to be replaced so it's maintenance $ that is not wasted.

Today the guide rod / spring assembly on the Taurus website is $11.99 with $8.75 shipping. Inexpensive solution for a gun that is way better than it's low price suggests.

Good luck.
Thank you for the follow-up. Things for sure I know are:
1. For sure the noise is coming from the gap the slide itself and the frame or frame channel. The barrel in not moving at all.
2. I already passed the 5000 rounds on live fire. I go through 360 rounds on the same gun easy in 1 session.
3. Besides that I been using the G3X on dry fire. a lot of slide practice, and trigger strength on re-strike mode more
4. Everything is original and all stock. I take care of that gun very well especially cleaning and lubing on the friction parts. Hopefully it looks pretty clean from outside. However, the only thing that's slightly off is the the iron sight like what I mentioned in another discussion just a day or 2. There was a situation on the scroll pin gradually popping out, but I got that fixed the right way. This is yesterdays lunch on 22 yards.

PS. The gun is bone stock, and I haven't change anything nor modifying. I want to gain muscle memory the way it is before I start improving something. I notice the big difference on the gun itself. Right now it feels like its sliding on a ball bearing. I'm getting a bit used to it. I just started noticing that clunk sound. Its not really bothering me but I thought I should ask. I'm still learning. After another day yesterday on the range, I was hoping its just a normal wear and tear.

far.jpg

close.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR