JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
From the article:
"Last year, a 24-year-old man from Portland used exploded Tannerite to commit suicide. Officials said the man walked into a forest near Mt. Hood and detonated a "large quantity" of Tannerite using a rifle. The blast shattered trees and blew a crater 2 feet deep and 10 feet wide, according to news reports."

WHAT?! Where's THAT story?!
I don't remember where the story might have been published, but I talked to a USFS LEO that I know who was at the scene. He said they were picking up small pieces of the guy all afternoon.

Amazon and Fox Hollow is kind of out of town, he might have assumed that he was not in city limits anymore. But you know what they say about assuming. :rolleyes:
Amazon and Fox Hollow is way inside the Eugene city limits. We're 2 miles further south and I can throw a rock from my property across the south city limit line.

A very dumb gun owner in Eugene decide to shoot some exploding tannerite targets in his backyard with his shotgun this morning, despite the fact that his own home lies in a suburban neighborhood within Eugene City limits.

Uhhh, unless I have missed something, Tannerite should not go off with shotshells of any kind. It needs a higher velocity projectile than a shotgun is capable of generating.

A very dumb gun owner in Eugene decide to shoot some exploding tannerite targets in his backyard with his shotgun this morning, despite the fact that his own home lies in a suburban neighborhood within Eugene City limits.

The sound of all of the loud gunfire and explosions on a quiet Sunday morning sent panic throughout the neighborhood, and the Eugene Police Department responded in mass. When confronted by Eugene police, the man was holding an AR rifle ( a different gun than the shotgun that was used in the target shooting ). He put it down, but went back into his home.

He eventually quietly surrendered to police. However, "for safekeeping", the Eugene Police Department seized his entire gun collection from his home.

It is distressing to see that some gun owners can be this stupid. How can he not be familiar with Oregon's gun laws? Intentionally discharging a firearm within city limits is a Class C Felony here in Oregon. And a felony conviction then gets your right to own firearms thrown out the window.

Do you think that this guy will ever get any of his guns back?

Man arrested Sunday morning after firing shotgun at exploding targets in south Eugene residential neighborhood
No he will never get them back because he'll probably need a lawyer and after paying the lier, I mean lawyer, he would have been able to buy three times the guns he had. After a certain amount of years, I'm sure certain cops get to choose some of his guns for their own collections. And of course during time, it's always possible that they will misplace some of them.
If I was him, I would start purchasing new guns, but after he gets a new brain. Most people know that the government is trying it's best to make this country a gun free zone, except for cops and criminals. Isn't that nice.
Keep your guns hidden. If the grid goes down the first thing cops will do is go house to house and take your guns. After them, the criminals, looters will come next and take their turn. :)
Sifu

#1 it's real hard to feel sorry for this moron.
#2 In my opinion he does not need to own a gun.
The one thing I wish would be done is the same laws on guns would be used on cars. Do something stupid with a gun and hurt or kill, they want you to not be able to own one for life. Get in a car and run from the Cops and kill someone? No problem. They are glad to let you drive again. If you make choices like that with a car you should never be able to drive again.

Uhhh, unless I have missed something, Tannerite should not go off with shotshells of any kind. It needs a higher velocity projectile than a shotgun is capable of generating.

Nope. A slug will set it off just fine no matter what it says on the package.

This guy had to be on something or off his rocker a bit, because from the sound of it, he may have been setting off explosions as early as 4am. I mean no one gets up that early for target practice let alone do it anywhere near city limits.

I don't remember where the story might have been published, but I talked to a USFS LEO that I know who was at the scene. He said they were picking up small pieces of the guy all afternoon.
Sounds like he wanted to go out with a "bang".....

The sound of all of the loud gunfire and explosions on a quiet Sunday morning sent panic throughout the neighborhood, and the Eugene Police Department responded in mass. When confronted by Eugene police, the man was holding an AR rifle ( a different gun than the shotgun that was used in the target shooting ). He put it down, but went back into his home.

He eventually quietly surrendered to police. However, "for safekeeping", the Eugene Police Department seized his entire gun collection from his home.

It is distressing to see that some gun owners can be this stupid. How can he not be familiar with Oregon's gun laws? Intentionally discharging a firearm within city limits is a Class C Felony here in Oregon. And a felony conviction then gets your right to own firearms thrown out the window.

Do you think that this guy will ever get any of his guns back?

Man arrested Sunday morning after firing shotgun at exploding targets in south Eugene residential neighborhood

Another American struck down by that dreaded disease, DIPbubblegumIA. Hope he never gets any of them back.

Reading over the article it sounds like the guy was drunk.
Always possible. My opinion of that though is even alcohol can't make someone this stupid alone. Unless they are well there already. Back in my "heavy drinking days" I was known to get quite hammered often. I never did bubblegum like this. Any of us who have been around for a while have probably been around "that guy". The one who alcohol would turn into an idiot. I have to think those people are already far along the idiot trail. Alcohol just enhances it a little. ;-)

Back in my "heavy drinking days" I was known to get quite hammered often. I never did bubblegum like this.
Because even though you were 'hammered' you still maintained an innate knowledge of what was right and wrong - kind of like when drunk the difference between just being annoying to a woman as opposed to just diving in and raping her. Some people who are accustomed to doing stupid things when sober will just magnify it when drunk. As has been said before 'A drunk mans actions are a sober mans thoughts' - and I too do not have a 'Halo on my head' either so I understand completely! - But like you I NEVER did anything this stupid!

Last Edited:
Amazon and Fox Hollow is kind of out of town, he might have assumed that he was not in city limits anymore. But you know what they say about assuming. :rolleyes:

That 800 block of Foxglenn Ave where the incident took place is definitely a very suburban neighborhood. It is a nice upscale neighborhood, but the homes are right next to one another, as one can easily see by checking the address on Goggle"

I think that pokerace may be right that the guy may have been on drugs.

shooting.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top