JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A very dumb gun owner in Eugene decide to shoot some exploding tannerite targets in his backyard with his shotgun this morning, despite the fact that his own home lies in a suburban neighborhood within Eugene City limits.

The sound of all of the loud gunfire and explosions on a quiet Sunday morning sent panic throughout the neighborhood, and the Eugene Police Department responded in mass. When confronted by Eugene police, the man was holding an AR rifle ( a different gun than the shotgun that was used in the target shooting ). He put it down, but went back into his home.

He eventually quietly surrendered to police. However, "for safekeeping", the Eugene Police Department seized his entire gun collection from his home.

It is distressing to see that some gun owners can be this stupid. How can he not be familiar with Oregon's gun laws? Intentionally discharging a firearm within city limits is a Class C Felony here in Oregon. And a felony conviction then gets your right to own firearms thrown out the window.

Do you think that this guy will ever get any of his guns back?

Man arrested Sunday morning after firing shotgun at exploding targets in south Eugene residential neighborhood

Last Edited:
As a gun owner you need to be aware of the laws and restrictions of where you live.
Shooting in your backyard while living in a suburban area , shows a lack of common sense and judgement.
His actions will be another nail in our coffin.

While unfair , remember that your actions with a gun , will paint the picture of ALL gun owners.
Today millions of guns and gun owners won't do a damn thing to harm anyone , but this guys actions will be discussed , embellished and reported as being the norm in regards to gun owners and how we behave.
Andy

The article mentions that the fella "consented" to the confiscation for safekeeping. Hard to believe his consent was a factor one way or the other.

People should know that gun owners would be the first to disarm this idiot. He is more representative of the ignorant and irresponsible in our culture than he is of you and I.

Last Edited:
It's unfortunate that there is a double standard applied to gun owners that doesn't seem to be applied in other areas. If someone goes off recklessly driving through town, it won't be held against other drivers - in fact, to suggest such a thing would be laughable to pretty much any sane person. But guns get an entirely different treatment - it's as if, by merely owning guns ourselves, it is assumed/implied that we condone such actions. That rubbish in the same sense that my owning a car doesn't imply I endorse reckless or drunk driving.

The problem is that the anti-gun folks are very good at assigning blame, pointing the finger and using false narratives to further their anti-gun agenda. This guy may be a gun owner, but he doesn't represent the rest of us. The best we can hope to do is speak out against stupidity like this, and against those that trash shooting areas, for example, and try to convince as many as we can that the actions of one do NOT speak for the actions of everyone else. Not that I expect that will help much. After all, it was the actions of only a couple of people that cost both Australia and England their ability to bear arms for any kind of self defense.

Because it fits their narrative of the need to disarm the many to protect from the actions of the few.
Unfortunately that action will not stop violence or harmful acts.
It is a quick , easy and simplistic fix to a complex and long running problem.
Which in the end "fixes" nothing since it does not stop a criminal from committing a crime.

What we need to do is stop with the quick easy fixes and take a long hard look at the problem of violence in America and work on a real long term solution.
But that is too hard to do for many folks.
Andy

Last Edited:
A very dumb gun owner in Eugene decide to shoot some exploding tannerite targets in his backyard with his shotgun this morning, despite the fact that his own home lies in a suburban neighborhood within Eugene City limits.

The sound of all of the loud gunfire and explosions on a quiet Sunday morning sent panic throughout the neighborhood, and the Eugene Police Department responded in mass. When confronted by Eugene police, the man was holding an AR rifle ( a different gun than the shotgun that was used in the target shooting ). He put it down, but went back into his home.

He eventually quietly surrendered to police. However, "for safekeeping", the Eugene Police Department seized his entire gun collection from his home.

It is distressing to see that some gun owners can be this stupid. How can he not be familiar with Oregon's gun laws? Intentionally discharging a firearm within city limits is a Class C Felony here in Oregon. And a felony conviction then gets your right to own firearms thrown out the window.

Do you think that this guy will ever get any of his guns back?

Man arrested Sunday morning after firing shotgun at exploding targets in south Eugene residential neighborhood

I hate to say it, but some people really shouldn't be allowed to own guns. Their inappropriate actions put the rest of us and our gun rights at jeopardy...

Anyone considered this guy may actually be an "anti"? Pretty easy to get away with being a "black-op" in the war on guns and bring down more bad press. Think"fast and furious."

From the article:
"Last year, a 24-year-old man from Portland used exploded Tannerite to commit suicide. Officials said the man walked into a forest near Mt. Hood and detonated a "large quantity" of Tannerite using a rifle. The blast shattered trees and blew a crater 2 feet deep and 10 feet wide, according to news reports."

WHAT?! Where's THAT story?!

From the article:
"Last year, a 24-year-old man from Portland used exploded Tannerite to commit suicide. Officials said the man walked into a forest near Mt. Hood and detonated a "large quantity" of Tannerite using a rifle. The blast shattered trees and blew a crater 2 feet deep and 10 feet wide, according to news reports."

WHAT?! Where's THAT story?!
Get your exploding targets while you can

Like it or not our community is under the spotlight, that being said like one poster said it's up to us to continually shine a good light on the good and call out the bad actions of the few.

It's up to us all to gently educate folks in our daily walks of life. I've started taking my neighbors shooting, trying to raise interest and awareness. Results so far have been good.

After sharing my story of a 3am Armed Burglary I had 4 years ago, one of my neighbors finally made a decision to get a shotgun for home protection. He wasn't opposed to gun ownership, just hadn't thought about it.

Every population includes an irreducible percentage of stupid. Let's not get our panties in a bind over it.

it fits their narrative of the need to disarm the many to protect from the actions of the few.

Indeed. Let's not do the antis' job for them.

After all, it was the actions of only a couple of people that cost both Australia and England their ability to bear arms for any kind of self defense.

It was the actions of self-serving politicians that did it; let's assign the blame where it belongs. It secondarily was the actions of gun owners generally who submitted to those politicians (although from reports I've seen, a large percentage didn't submit). If you imagine you have a "right", that can be erased by the stupidity of a couple of individuals (or for that matter, provocateurs), then it ain't much of a "right", is it?

Last Edited:
It's unfortunate that there is a double standard applied to gun owners that doesn't seem to be applied in other areas. If someone goes off recklessly driving through town, it won't be held against other drivers - in fact, to suggest such a thing would be laughable to pretty much any sane person. But guns get an entirely different treatment - it's as if, by merely owning guns ourselves, it is assumed/implied that we condone such actions. That rubbish in the same sense that my owning a car doesn't imply I endorse reckless or drunk driving.

The problem is that the anti-gun folks are very good at assigning blame, pointing the finger and using false narratives to further their anti-gun agenda. This guy may be a gun owner, but he doesn't represent the rest of us. The best we can hope to do is speak out against stupidity like this, and against those that trash shooting areas, for example, and try to convince as many as we can that the actions of one do NOT speak for the actions of everyone else. Not that I expect that will help much. After all, it was the actions of only a couple of people that cost both Australia and England their ability to bear arms for any kind of self defense.

Well, actually, to be honest I just assume every other driver I encounter on the road is a potential idiot until proven otherwise.
My male ego assures me that I'm the only good driver out there.

Last Edited:
Amazon and Fox Hollow is kind of out of town, he might have assumed that he was not in city limits anymore. But you know what they say about assuming. :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top