JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not China-virus or politically related, hopefully :)

Question: How do you prepare your steel & wood firearms before winter storage?

I use Uncle Sam's procedure of a light oil coating but I also have used just a Birchwood Casey silicon wipe if the gun did not get wet that year. I have only used Ballistol in lieu of light gun oil too.

What do you do before putting them up for a long Winter's nap?

Merry Christmas!

I wipe down with a medium count of oil, but I also live on the saltwater so I wipe them down every other month regardless of if I use them....I'm also probably paranoid.

For the winter?

Ballistol sprayed on the metal outside, inside the action and down the barrel. I put one of those bore preservers down the muzzle and close the action. Then I wrap it in a silicone sock/sleeve and put it inside the shipping box if I still have it. The box will protect the firearm from being banged up and if cardboard give some protection from pests such as mice (I have this problem and yes, they do get onto guns that are not inside something like a safe). If I have a plastic case - like for almost all of my handguns, all the better.

Long term?

I would do the same thing, but also use Riggs gun grease on top of the Ballistol. Then, if I have it, I would wrap that with preservative rust preventive paper (VCI), then if a rifle put a silicone sock on the whole firearm, then put that inside a plastic VCI sleeve, then put that inside a PVC waterproof case ($40 on Amazon), then put that inside a waterproof case (such as a Pelican) or a PVC tube sealed on each end or something similar (I have some 80mm - IIRC - charge tubes that will work for some rifles that are short or can be broken down).

For handguns I usually have a plastic case of some sort, so I would use that and then if I was going to bury it, I would put that in a PVC dry bag, and that inside an outer plastic tube or other container that I could make waterproof.

Last Edited:
I use a thin layer Birchwood Casey gun stock wax hand buffed up on nearly all of my wood & metal guns on all external parts including blued areas.
No gun though lays longer than a month and a half without a wipe down refresh if needed and quick corrosion examine.
Never had an issue, likely more important, maybe even superseding my anal care, is all my life I have been fortunate enough to be always able to maintain a warm and dry environment.

Sure, we all probably do that but I'm more interested in what preparations you do to treat the gun before it gets a sock...
Honestly, not much. Cleaned and oiled as usual. The blued guns and wood stocks get a sock pretty much year round. Checked on every 2-3 months if not shot in between.

For the winter?

Ballistol sprayed on the metal outside, inside the action and down the barrel. I put one of those bore preservers down the muzzle and close the action. Then I wrap it in a silicon sock/sleeve and put it inside the shipping box if I still have it. The box will protect the firearm from being banged up and if cardboard give some protection from pests such as mice (I have this problem and yes, they do get onto guns that are not inside something like a safe). If I have a plastic case - like for almost all of my handguns, all the better.

Long term?

I would do the same thing, but also use Riggs gun grease on top of the Ballistol. Then, if I have it, I would wrap that with preservative rust preventive paper (VCI), then if a rifle put a silicon sock on the whole firearm, then put that inside a plastic VCI sleeve, then put that inside a PVC waterproof case ($40 on Amazon), then put that inside a waterproof case (such as a Pelican) or a PVC tube sealed on each end or something similar (I have some 80mm - IIRC - charge tubes that will work for some rifles that are short or can be broken down).

For handguns I usually have a plastic case of some sort, so I would use that and then if I was going to bury it, I would put that in a PVC dry bag, and that inside an outer plastic tube or other container that I could make waterproof.
Outstanding!

I just let this old Colt Dragoon sit out in the rain...I don't see a problem here...:eek: :D
Andy
DSC06041.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews