JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Living on the coast I keep up with oiling and keep them in socks. I do keep a journal with a wipe down schedule. I try to get to all of them every four months. I am always seeing guns here people stick in a closet and forget them for a few years. Never a pretty sight when that happens, rusting of course

Corrosion protection prior to storage is accomplished around here the same as corrosion protection prior to a hunt where moisture/dirt, etc. is expected.

Johnson's Paste Wax (or the Minwax equivalent) in the squat yellow can is applied to all surfaces, wood or metal. Allow to dry (as per instructions toward waxing a hardwood floor) and buff off with cotton or wool cloth. For a particularly rough hunt where the gun may be soaked or never really allowed to dry completely, the Paste Wax is left on all surfaces just as applied with no buffing.

Interior and mechanical surfaces get a light coating of CLP.

For a gun where it is known the Paste Wax job is still "good", Scott's Liquid Gold sprayed and wiped on all metal and wood surfaces. This stuff is pretty "fume-y".

Then the gun is slipped into a Silicone treated sock. These socks have saved my guns from a whole lot of undue wear (in and out of the safe, etc.). Add on a bag of six to each order from Midway, especially when they come on sale.

Silica Gel (in the little packets) get salvaged at every opportunity from merchandise boxes and tossed in the safe. Once a year, they are all treated to a summer vacation in a warm oven with the door open to revive them before going back to work. Unlimited life to them treated this way.

Renaissance Wax is your friend. And it's great for tons of other things besides guns.

Borestores work very well too.

Or if you're really going to store it for a long time, one of those bags specifically designed for long term storage. But I don't have any direct experience with them.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top