JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How hard can it be to make a reliable 1911 in 9mm? Why wouldn't a ramped barrel be standard?

I LOVE 1911's and would LOVE to have a 9mm in the collection......I also LOVE reliability. I would think after over 100 years in the game a guy could get a 1911 in many common calibers and expect reliability........
It seems to be hard to make a modern 1911 reliable let alone start changing cartridges in it. The action takes a lot of detail machine and fitting work to make it run good. Modern manufactures take shortcuts like causing the barrel to ride the link. They also try to make the rails tight for accuracy. These things can make them unreliable.

I have had Rock Island, Springfield and Ruger 1911's in 45 ACP that were not reliable. When you play pistol games, a jam puts you near last. All but two that I have owned I had to do something to to fix reliability problems or gave up on them. The two I had no issues were Colt 1991's. They were a little loose but ran great and accuracy was good. I think loose 1911's are way more forgiving on parts fit.

Ramped barrels are not standard since it requires the frame and barrel to be milled more.

Lots of 1911s in .380 too, if you like a smaller frame/cartridge. Haven't tried one but did own both a Star and Llama and liked the size. With the right brand/series cartridge???? Quien sabe?

I recently put away my Les Baer Custom Carry in .45 for an EDCx9 from Wilson Combat. The Les Baer is an amazing gun butI love the EDCx9! Not technically a 1911 but close enough for me. Shoots like a dream, very reliable and 18 round magazines!

EDCx9.jpg

One of the selling points for guns in the 9mm cartridge in general is a lot of capacity. 1911's are known for not holding a lot of ammo. So a 1911 in 9mm ends up being a big hurking pistol with limited rounds. That's why rather than a 1911 in 9mm, I'm waiting on the SA-35. That way I get all the benefits of a 1911 and the capacity of a true 9mm.

One of the selling points for guns in the 9mm cartridge in general is a lot of capacity. 1911's are known for not holding a lot of ammo. So a 1911 in 9mm ends up being a big hurking pistol with limited rounds. That's why rather than a 1911 in 9mm, I'm waiting on the SA-35. That way I get all the benefits of a 1911 and the capacity of a true 9mm.
There's a few double stack 9mm 1911s out there. I agree the grip on them tends to be a little thick for some. But I would take a quality 9mm 1911 all day long over that Springfield. :)

A Staccato P is on my short list.

@Mikej staccato C2 is what you deserve.

View attachment 1071663

I recently put away my Les Baer Custom Carry in .45 for an EDCx9 from Wilson Combat. The Les Baer is an amazing gun butI love the EDCx9! Not technically a 1911 but close enough for me. Shoots like a dream, very reliable and 18 round magazines!

View attachment 1072188

When I get a 1911(ish) 9mm it'll be one of these. I have five Staccato P mags so I'm leaning toward one of the Staccatos, P or C haven't made up my mind. If I was to get an other single stack 1911 it will be a goverment size .45acp.

Last Edited:
I currently have a Kimber Custom II in 9mm but haven't shot it yet. I did own a Rock Island tactical in 9mm and it was a great shooter. I regret getting rid of that gun.

How hard can it be to make a reliable 1911 in 9mm? Why wouldn't a ramped barrel be standard?

I LOVE 1911's and would LOVE to have a 9mm in the collection......I also LOVE reliability. I would think after over 100 years in the game a guy could get a 1911 in many common calibers and expect reliability........
The original standard design is a ramped frame with a throated barrel (think of it as a split ramp) so a ramped barrel is more of a modern modification no longer milspec frame or barrel. Personally, a well made standard 1911 is every bit as reliable as a ramped (I own both)... its not hard to make a reliable 1911 its just typically more expensive because the original spec dimensions are designed to be hand fit at final assembly. I think todays more modern precise CNC machining has greatly improved things in lower end (pricewise only...) production guns like the Rock Island 1911s I think they are able to crank them out efficiently with minimal hand fitting.

There's a few double stack 9mm 1911s out there. I agree the grip on them tends to be a little thick for some. But I would take a quality 9mm 1911 all day long over that Springfield. :)
To each their own my friend. I already own 3 1911's (in 380acp, 38 Super and 45acp)and an all steel single stack 9mm (Sig P-6). Plastic guns just don't do it for me though I do own a couple plastic 40 S&W's.

I've got one of the 5" RIA doublestack 9mm/.22TCM 1911's. Fit and finish are fine and it shoots accurately and reliably in both configurations. I shouldn't say "I've got" 'cuz JustSomeGal appropriated it not long after I bought it because it's a hellishly excellent tool for popping the occasional critter (rabbits) that sneak into her gardens.
This is the top of my list. They seem to be rare as hens teeth. Does RIA still sell this model in this configuration, with both barrels? It is the Tac Ultra HC that I think I have been looking at for several years.

One of my favorite shooters is my Browning 1911-380. Pretty much everyone I go out with takes a very strong liking to it too. A high capacity 1911 (2011) in 9mm has got to be a great mellow shooter too! I love shooting my 1911's in .45.

I have never considered a 1911 as a carry weapon (too big and heavy for me) but they are by far my favorite range gun!

I wouldn't even consider a poly-framed heater until about 2010, for any reason. Now, all of my carry junk is plastic and the heavy metal guns pretty much only see range use. I've "shown off" a couple of plasti guns to other gun guys... like a P30L or Walther P99, just because they're somewhat atypical. I once read a post where the writer stated that they were a "Glock snob... ". Huh? Those two words just don't... go... together.
Ever.

I've been wanting a .45acp Springfield Ronin Operator since they were announced almost 2 yrs ago. That would be my choice if l was looking for a 9mm as well.
I used to only carry metal guns... and I found that I seldom had a gun on me. 10 or 12 years ago I gave in and bought a plastic fantastic and I can count on two hands how many times I have left the house without a pistol since.

When I get to the range is when the heavy chunks of metal come out and I truly enjoy them... 1911's being one of the best.

When the Dan Wesson DWX (from CZ) came out a few years ago it certainly seemed like a good mix being a CZ75 / 1911 hybrid using CZ75 19rnd mags, CZ75 slide geometry and many 1911 frame components including the trigger and sear.

19e_DWX-L.png

@MikeInOr you should consider something along the lines of a lightweight commander, shaves some 10+ oz off the weight of the pistol. Doesn't sound like much, but it sure makes a difference, regardless of how you carry.
I understand what you are saying. I have been through all sorts of carry guns and I find that I am better armed with plastic guns than I was when I carried good old fashioned heavy iron. Weight is a primary concern for me (i.e. my pants falling down... even with a good gun belt) so I prefer to get the maximum fire power for the weight I am carrying. The plastic stuff just does this better and I learned to get comfortable with them a long time ago.

0128192157 - Copy.jpg

When I get to the range I enjoy the classic pistols made of metal.

I have a RIA 1911 9mm and a Springfield Armory Range Officer 1911 9mm. Both of them are commander size barrel lengths. Both of them shoot well if you know how to shoot a 1911.

The price difference does matter in what you get as a finished product. The Springfield RO is in my carry rotation, the RIA is bedside duty.

My BUG is a P238. I bought it when they first came out, but would have waited and bought the P938.

I have two Rock Island 9mm 1911s both full size 5 inch. One in GI configuration the other more tactical. They have an ugly finish as both are black phosphate and when I got them the triggers where gritty and a bit stiff. At around 250 rounds I cleaned up the triggers and trigger pull to my taste. Much better now

Both have around 450 to 550 rounds through them now with a mix of Russian steel case and brass case ball and 124 grain hollow points with no issues so far. I would shoot them more but with the ammo issue I am happy to have shot that amount.

I run Wilson Combat mags plus the ones that came with them and have had no issues so far.

The only reason I got them in 9mm is because a long while back I decide to run 9mm for most everything. I am not a 1911 fan boy but do enjoy shooting them and mainly got them as my son said I needed to at least have one 1911 in my collection. He wanted it to be a 45 but he's still happy to shoot the 9mm.

I have owned a number of 1911 over the years and built 2 from left over military parts back in the early 90s, I shot local competitions with them but all where in 45.
Compared to the 45 the 9s are smoother to shoot and much faster to get back on target, so they work for me and I feel I get the best of both worlds, a classic 1911 design with a smoother recoil.

If you get one, get several extra mags right away as over the years it seems 9mm 1911s go in and out of favor and when they are out of favor, mags are impossible to find. With the verity I see on the market today this may not be an issue any more but in my mind its better to be safe than sorry.

Some kind of screw up between brain and fingers. That's is in my range. I really like that SA-35. Classic! at this point I'm only thinking full size 1911 though.

Yeah, brain disconnect.

Springfield seem to have a solid place in the 1911 style guns.

That looks good too.

Have you checked to see IF you can get one yet? My usual plan, even though it's been quite a few years, is go to Kieths, see if they can get it, lay down $50.00 if they can, go home and wait for the call.

Not a plastic gun guy. Only carry guns have polymer frames in this house! That's not true. :oops: Wifey carries a Sig 938. I carry a Shield.
Sorry I missed the plastic issue......it's been a few years since I've shot that thing and I actually forgot the lower was plastic.....

My Citadel (RIA) government model has been 100% reliable. I use Metalform 10rd mags, no issues.
My experience with Citadel is similar to @spookshack. I had a Citadel Officer in 9mm. Using Metalform mags (which are the OEM mags) resulted in 100% reliability. Heavy pistol - but nice to shoot.

I picked up a Ruger SR1911 Officer in 9mm from another member a few months back. BEST SHOOTER EVER! As fun to shoot as my Gov and Com sized 45's.

My EDC is still plastic, but the metal guns are my favorites at the range.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads