JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Kinda' feeling the urge to buy a new gun. It crossed my mind that I only have TWO 9mm hand guns. One S&W Shield and my Tanfoglio Elite Limited in 9mm. I'm thinking that 1911 platform is good for accuracy in 9mm? I don't want a plastic gun. I thought this gun could be a Christmas present for both Wifey AND myself. She really likes the the feel of my Kimber 1911, but the .45acp is a bit much for her. I realize that there may be a problem getting one, considering the times, in a short period of time.

I'd like to hear from those that have these soft shooting jewels. Also, it would be helpful to hear why NOT to get one brand or the other. What's bad about any brands? Thinking of spending in the area of $600.00-$850.00. Maybe a little more, but I'd need some pretty good evidence that it's THAT good.

So??

The only 9mm 1911 I've owned (Kimber Aegis) wasnt a good experience. It seems like other people like them.

YMMV
That was the Pro Aegis? :oops: We still have one of those. :oops: Ammo sensitive, limp wrist sensitive, ejects hot brass on your head to down your shirt. That Pro Aegis? Great feeling gun otherwise! Perfect for a lady's grip!

I'm talking full size, 5" barrel, 9mm 1911.

I want to! Does that count?

I really like the quirkiness of this guy. Ugly to some, different for sure, but I really like it.

1637085950522.jpeg

I want to! Does that count?

I really like the quirkiness of this guy. Ugly to some, different for sure, but I really like it.

View attachment 1071467
I like that okay. not terribly fond the the under barrel rail. But I have one on the CZ sp01. Different animal though. Any info on the accuracy for that Emissary? Seem to be a lot of money unless there were proof of some kind of accuracy.

I cant really say, but im skeptical the 9mm is softer to shoot than 45. Anyways... In your price range I would look closely at the Springfield 1911s, good features and build for the price.
PX9119L-2-1024x770.png

I owned a rock island version. I liked it and hated it. Worked well, though felt unrefined and in fact, cheap. Almost as if I got what I paid for

I was eyeballin' that gat when that thread started. That's a mighty attractive gun! A little on the high side $$ wise.

If by 9mm you mean 38 Super, then the 1911 is a great platform for it.

If by 9mm you mean 9x19, then short cartridge in a long frame equals finding the perfect magazine. I see everyone under the sun makes a 9x19 1911 these days, so someone has obviously figured it out.

I owned a rock island version. I liked it and hated it. Worked well, though felt unrefined and in fact, cheap. Almost as if I got what I paid for
I don't think i want to go that low end. I have no reason not to. Everything I've heard says they shoot just fine. Probably irrational but....Feel I need to spend more for a little more refinement. Ideally!? I find a gun that's just great, buy it, and in 2 years you'd be able to get THE SAME gun for $250.00 less! That's how I roll.

I was eyeballin' that gat when that thread started. That's a mighty attractive gun! A little on the high side $$ wise.
If that's out of your budget, then a 1911 is out of reach as well. That's the starting point of what a decent 1911 will run you.

Personally, I'd go for the SA-35 over a 9x19 1911 any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

If by 9mm you mean 38 Super, then the 1911 is a great platform for it.

If by 9mm you mean 9x19, then short cartridge in a long frame equals finding the perfect magazine. I see everyone under the sun makes a 9x19 1911 these days, so someone has obviously figured it out.
The Colt Commander was originally designed for a 9x19 NATO requirement. That was 1947.. I think. They run great as long as you don't limp wrist them.

Springfield Armory makes the EMP, which is a purpose-built 9mm 1911. They are a bit spendy but they run flawlessly.

I wish. I don't think we'll see those in local shops until next year.

I've owned a Dan Wesson Pointman 9 9mm for quite a few years. Nice gun, however, I think even used, one of these would push beyond the top end of your indicated price range.
9B37A830-7F75-497C-AD13-EA709E928F03.jpeg

A friend of mine has the SA Range Officer in 9mm. He likes it, and it seemed to run good the time or two I fired it. IIRC, it was in the $800 price range when he purchased it, so may be worth a look.

I was tempted by the sub $400 rock island/armscor full size 1911 that BiMart had on sale a while back for something that I wasn't as particular about (as the DW is a nice gun). But with the GI style sights, and basic 1911 configuration without any frills, and knowing that I would want to do some upgrades to it, and I already have the DW that comes pretty dialed in and don't really need another, I passed.

Last Edited:
I like that okay. not terribly fond the the under barrel rail. But I have one on the CZ sp01. Different animal though. Any info on the accuracy for that Emissary? Seem to be a lot of money unless there were proof of some kind of accuracy.
Everything I've heard and read states Springfields are pretty precise blasters.

The Ronin might be a good fit for the more traditional looking fair.

1637090471655.jpeg

Personally, I'd go for the SA-35 over a 9x19 1911 any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Me too. I think the High-Power was the natural evolution of the 1911 in 9mm. I plan on socking away some money in an envelope, earmarked for an SA-35 when they become more readily available.

If that's out of your budget, then a 1911 is out of reach as well. That's the starting point of what a decent 1911 will run you.

Some kind of screw up between brain and fingers. That's is in my range. I really like that SA-35. Classic! at this point I'm only thinking full size 1911 though.
I think they'll be like $550?
How much will a 1911 cost?
Yeah, brain disconnect.
A friend of mine has the SA Range Officer in 9mm. He likes it, and it seemed to run good the time or two I fired it. IIRC, it was in the $800 price range when he purchased it, so may be worth a look.
Springfield seem to have a solid place in the 1911 style guns.
Everything I've heard and read states Springfields are pretty precise blasters.

The Ronin might be a good fit for the more traditional looking fair.

View attachment 1071504
That looks good too.
I'm looking at a Springfield 9mm 1911 my self, likely going the Emissary route.
Have you checked to see IF you can get one yet? My usual plan, even though it's been quite a few years, is go to Kieths, see if they can get it, lay down $50.00 if they can, go home and wait for the call.
Have you looked at the Walther P99 Mike? I had one for a few years and really liked it until our son got home from USMC and talked me out of it......
Not a plastic gun guy. Only carry guns have polymer frames in this house! That's not true. :oops: Wifey carries a Sig 938. I carry a Shield.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top