JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The CMP has opened up Round 3 for applications to buy a surplus USGI 1911/1911A1. Order packets must be postmarked no later than 9/30/22. Only new buyers are eligible. If you previously purchased one in Round 1 or Round 2 sit down.

Sometime after Sept. 30th, each application will be assigned a random number which will assign your place in line. When your number comes up, the CMP will contact you and ask you to choose a grade of pistol from those grades available at that time. (Service grade, field, rack, etc.)

CMP 1911A1.jpg

Last Edited:
I have to ask, are CMP guns actually worth it? I can get a pretty darn good 1911 for $1100 off the shelf, and that appears to be the "low" grade for their inventory. Their M1As and other weapons seem to be similarly pricey. Not understanding what the draw is compared to existing guns on the market from retailers.

I have to ask, are CMP guns actually worth it? I can get a pretty darn good 1911 for $1100 off the shelf, and that appears to be the "low" grade for their inventory. Their M1As and other weapons seem to be similarly pricey. Not understanding what the draw is compared to existing guns on the market from retailers.
To some, history of the piece, matters... to others not so much.

I've come to realize that as I get older, I'm more of the latter group of people.

I purchased three Service Grade M1s in 2021 & 2022 for $750 each. (The CMP does not sell M1As) Current value on the open market is from $1000 to $1500 for a Service Grade rifle.

The 1911s are of interest because of their history. Yes, you can buy a new 1911 off the shelf for equal or less money than what the CMP is charging, but it will never have the "been there, done that" factor that the military issue pistols have. Some people care. Some don't. Either viewpoint is OK.

The CMP will undoubtably sell every single one of these pistols. My order goes in tomorrow.

-E-

I purchased three Service Grade M1s in 2021 & 2022 for $750 each. (The CMP does not sell M1As) Current value on the open market is from $1000 to $1500 for a Service Grade rifle.

The 1911s are of interest because of their history. Yes, you can buy a new 1911 off the shelf for equal or less money than what the CMP is charging, but it will never have the "been there, done that" factor that the military issue pistols have. Some people care. Some don't. Either viewpoint is OK.

The CMP will undoubtably sell every single one of these pistols. My order goes in tomorrow.

-E-
$750 is one heck of a deal - that makes sense. I was looking at their auctions a while ago an got sticker shock, lol. They still have to ship to an FFL, right?

I got one of the CMP 1911A1's about a year ago. I wanted a service grade, but none were available that day and I ended up with a field grade. Really worn finish and the trigger is not that good. I took it to the gun club and it works great. Rear sight is beat up like it was dropped many times. I got it for the history. If you're looking for a good shooter get a new one off the shelf.

$750 is one heck of a deal - that makes sense. I was looking at their auctions a while ago an got sticker shock, lol. They still have to ship to an FFL, right?
They do in Oregon. Washington is the same I believe. The 1911s will certainly have to ship to an FFL.

The auctions are typically made up of the more uncommon examples...unissued M1s for example. They are not what you see on a mail order......usually.

CMP guns are not of interest to everyone, but I think it better that there are sold off as opposed to going to the scrap pile.

-E-

I got one of the CMP 1911A1's about a year ago. I wanted a service grade, but none were available that day and I ended up with a field grade. Really worn finish and the trigger is not that good. I took it to the gun club and it works great. Rear sight is beat up like it was dropped many times. I got it for the history. If you're looking for a good shooter get a new one off the shelf.
Post up a pic of that bad girl!!

FYI to everyone........I'm not saying you should go buy one if you have no interest. In fact, it would be in my better interest if you didn't since there is a finite supply available.
I posted this info to make those who care aware that an order window has opened.
If the CMP isn't your cup-o-tea that's fine. Just move along.

-E-

Kind of shocked the current administration has not melted these down as scrap. The kind of funny and sad part of this is I would bet that even at the price they sell these for they manage to actually lose money doing this. Kind of like when they took over that Cat House in NV for taxes and it lost money while they ran it.

Kind of shocked the current administration has not melted these down as scrap. The kind of funny and sad part of this is I would bet that even at the price they sell these for they manage to actually lose money doing this. Kind of like when they took over that Cat House in NV for taxes and it lost money while they ran it.
The CMP is a federally chartered tax-exempt not-for-profit corporation established by Congress in 1996. They are entirely funded by the sales of surplus firearms from the U.S. Army. Sales revenue surpluses are invested in a permanent endowment fund. The fund objective is to support CMP education and training programs in perpetuity. It was reported in 2019 by the Government Accounting Office that the fund had a value of $188.6 million.

-E-

The CMP is a federally chartered tax-exempt not-for-profit corporation established by Congress in 1996. They are entirely funded by the sales of surplus firearms from the U.S. Army. Sales revenue surpluses are invested in a permanent endowment fund. The fund objective is to support CMP education and training programs in perpetuity. It was reported in 2019 by the Government Accounting Office that the fund had a value of $188.6 million.

-E-
Now that SHOCKS me. Normally any time the Gov gets their hands in something they can make it so expensive to run it loses money no matter what it is. Shocking that they could manage to not screw this up as soon and they touched it.

Now that SHOCKS me. Normally any time the Gov gets their hands in something they can make it so expensive to run it loses money no matter what it is. Shocking that they could manage to not screw this up as soon and they touched it.

While it is chartered by Congress, it's privately run.

-E-

I picked one up in the first round a while back. Remington Rand is what I received.

6511D328-D369-4AD9-B3D9-E1149CC1ABF7.jpeg 45094B87-ACB7-47FA-B0E4-735874526B8A.jpeg

I have other 1911s. Most I shoot, one or two more as collectible. This one I bought for the history. Also have a M1 Garand, and a couple Kimber 82G training rifles purchased from the CMP. I have not regretted any of my purchases from them.

Last Edited:
I picked one up in the first round a while back. Remington Rand is what I received.

View attachment 1276454View attachment 1276455

I have other 1911s. Most I shoot, one or two more as collectible. This one I bought for the history. Also have a M1 Garand, and a couple Kimber 82G training rifles purchased from the CMP. I have not regretted any one my purchases from them.
Yeah, I'd be quite happy with that. Service Grade?

-E-

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads